Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Mount Frissell and Friends- 3/9/2016 
Sovereign Woodsman

Mount Frissell and Friends- 3/9/2016
After looking at the weather forecast for Salisbury, CT two days prior (73 degrees, sunny skies, and NO SNOW, on the ground or from the sky), I knew what I had to do, and what I had to do was tag the highest point in Connecticut, the 2,379 ft. southern slope of Mount Frissell. (The summit is in Mass.) Since it was a long drive (3.25 hours, 188 miles each way), I added on a few peaks and points to the hike.

I left my house around 6 AM and hit the road. This was also my first time driving on the Mass Pike :) . I just gotta say one thing about the 'Pike: If you thought I-93 in NH had a heavy police presence, you're wrong! I drove about 90 miles each way on that road, and I had never seen so many staties on one stretch of highway in my life. So be careful if you drive here. Anyway, back to the TR.

Once off the highway, it was state and town roads through quaint MA towns all the way to the trailhead at the CT/MA line, off East St. The road continuing into CT (as Mt. Washington Rd) was blocked off at both ends, so don't count on easy access from CT. Anyway, I parked before the barricade and poked around a bit. I saw a trail heading west into the woods, but it wasn't marked, so I thought it was a dud. Plus, I thought I read somewhere that the trailhead was farther south of the state line, so I walked Mt. Washington Rd. into CT for almost a mile before I turned back. I saw a lot of posted signs, and the mountains were really far away, so I knew I was way off. When I was back at my car, I saw two other vehicles parked next to me, but I saw no one on the road walk, so I deduced that the dud trail wasn't a dud and was the actual route to the top :oops: . I basically tacked on about 1.8 miles to the hike before even hitting the trail. Anyway, I got back on track and headed for my first objective, Round Mountain.

The trail, blazed in red all the way to the South Taconic Trail in NY, started out flat and gravelly. The gravel turned to big jagged rock not long after. Eventually, I was staring the mountainside in the face, and the trail basically climbed straight uphill to the top. I was surprised at how rugged it was! Rocky and rough with some scrambles thrown in! Made for a great warm-up.

Not long after starting, I stood on the top of Round Mountain, which was also my first Connecticut mountain summit :) . The top was open and shrubby with great views in most directions, which included Bear Mountain, Brace Mountain, Mt. Frissell, and Mt. Everett. Took some shots here and then made the descent to the Frissell/Round col, then made another steep, rugged, scrambly climb to the true summit of Mt. Frissell (the Mass. one). It was wooded and viewless :x , but hey, there was a cairn, sign, and register. Plus, it's another new peak in the bag. Signed the register then went about 300 yd. downhill to the real mc-coy, the south slope of Mt. Frissell, CT's highest point. Unlike the true summit, there was a view from here! I took a victory shot and then talked to a fellow hiker who came from the "tri-point". More on that later, but we talked shop for a good 10 or so min and then parted ways.

Next stop was the "tri-point", which was actually the MA/CT/NY tri-point, which is where the boundaries of those three states intersect. It was marked by a stone pillar, which I climbed and stood on; in effect, I was in three states at once :D . I had some fun here and then headed into NY to bag the Duchess County high point, Brace Mountain. The trip there involved a modest descent to the col between Frissell and Brace, passing the Ashley Hill Trail in the process. The trail then made a moderate climb to the South Taconic Trail on the ridge crest. The way to Brace Mtn's summit was 0.4 miles left (south); that was the way I went.

0.4 mi later, I stood on the top of Duchess County. It was open and grassy with nice views (excellent spot for a summit nap), with a cairn and wind sock adorning the top. I met another hiker and her dog on the top, and she told me a bit about the area. We parted ways (briefly), then I took some summit shots and sat down for a rest break. About 10 or so min. later, I headed to the top of CT for some lunch, and partway there, I joined the hiker and dog I met on Brace Mtn. We talked shop some more then walked over to the true summit, then went our separate ways; she went back to NY, and I went back to Mass.

The descent off Round Mtn was rougher going down, IMHO, and a bit confusing near the top, but I made it down to East St. in one piece. Overall, this was actually a really fun hike! The unplanned road walk wasn't, but the rest of it was! I wasn't expecting the trails to be so rugged, the views so good, or the summits so open! This place was like a scale model of the Whites to me. Dunno if I'll be back, but if I go back, I might do either the loop over Alander Mountain (NY), or check out Bear Mountain and Mt. Everett.

Roundtrip distance including the road walk was around 7 miles with 1,750 ft. of elevation gain, and it took about 3 hours not including my numerous summit breaks.

Here's the video recap: https://youtu.be/Guq6WVLDJ1o

NEFF: 31/50
NEHH: 75/100

Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:57 pm
Master Mountaineer

Re: Mount Frissell and Friends- 3/9/2016
So weird to read this report - I swear to God I had a dream about this hike last night.

I do the Round-to-Brace hike at least twice a year. I LOVE it out there - it's gorgeous and peaceful.
Alander is a good one too - there's a little cabin up just below the summit there, and some good camping spots.
If you haven't done it, a full on traverse of the South Taconic trail is a great hike.

Not sure if you're a Views and Brews person, but Big Elm Brewery is just south of there in Sheffield MA.

Who needs actions when you got words?

Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:03 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Looks like a cool little hike with nice trails, unique checkpoints and check marks. I'm surprised they didn't use a triangular obelisk for a tri point. This is one you should have brought your friends on. Defray the gas cost and someone to talk to on a long drive. Not to mention someone to have lunch with on that nice looking lawn on brace.

As for the staties. I always see other people pulled over on the pike. And they will drive anything. So yeah watch out

Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:30 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Awe, we should have gone there instead of Waumbek! I love those expansive grassy summits. Were there any ticks?

Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:48 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Hey! What happened to no more 3+ hour drives for hikes?! :wink:

Interesting looking terrain and great looking hike. I've wanted to do this hike the last couple of springs when the mountain laurel or whatever it is is blooming down there. Looks like it's going to be an early spring all around. Maybe this will be the year I actually make it down to that one.

Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:28 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

iagreewithjamie: That area really was nice and peaceful. Even more so with the warm weather, clear skies, and lack of snow and ice. If I go back, I'm definitely taking a nap on Brace Mountain 8) .

thegibba: Would've taken my friends if they weren't all working :( .

Oh yea, when I drove onto the 'Pike for the first time, literally the first sign I saw read: "Highway Patrolled by Unmarked State Police Vehicles". Message received...

Beckie/Prema: No ticks that I know of :shock: .

GG: Hey, I said I wasn't going to do those drives every weekend. Here and there- hell yea :wink: !

Quote:
Maybe this will be the year I actually make it down to that one.

That's what they all say :lol: !

As for my summer plans (Mt. Elbert and friends), I'm torn between flying and driving. If I fly, I can save time and money, but getting a rental SUV/truck will be a pain in the butt, since I'm under 25. I also can't bring some of my gear (knives ect.) if I fly. Driving, OTOH, will eat up a lot more time, but I'll have the luxury of having my own car, and I can bring everything. Plus, it will also be a great way to see the country, and I can tag the state HPs along the route 8) .

Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:32 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

If i were your age and can swing the time away from work and stuff. I'd drive. Your gear is always with you. You get to see the middle of nowhere USA. Scan reserve America for campsites along the way. Do a little googling to see how other people have used the car they own to go cross country. Some people have made simple wooden platforms in cars to make car camping a reality. obviously bring someone. I was kind of shocked to see the elevation gain to get up Elbert was in the 4-5k range. Minus the altitude that's similar to some day hikes we have done out here! Whoever you bring. Get them hiking now so they are used to the gain so they have a blast with ya!

Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:57 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

If you care I'd say drive if you have 2+ weeks. If not you'll be spending 6-8 days in a car driving through cornfields to take the quickest route between here and the Rockies (which is 40 hours of garbage). If you have more time to take the scenic route head through Chicago for day one, grab a deep dish pizza and see the big city light before crashing in a rest stop and getting some sleep. Then head to South Dakota to see Badlands National Park, the black hills and maybe climb Harney and maybe spend a night in Deadwood. After than you can head down to Colorado and maybe drive through Rocky Mtn NP on the way. If you don't have time for that I say screw it and fly. I've made the drive out west and back 5 times and that's the only route through the Great Plains that is remotely interesting scenery-wise. You can sleep overnight on most rest areas along with 300 tractor trailers so that's where I'd catch my Zzzzzzs if you're just passing through. No need to waste time in a Kansas campground! :D

Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:39 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Granite Guy wrote:
If you care I'd say drive if you have 2+ weeks. If not you'll be spending 6-8 days in a car driving through cornfields to take the quickest route between here and the Rockies (which is 40 hours of garbage). If you have more time to take the scenic route head through Chicago for day one, grab a deep dish pizza and see the big city light before crashing in a rest stop and getting some sleep. Then head to South Dakota to see Badlands National Park, the black hills and maybe climb Harney and maybe spend a night in Deadwood. After than you can head down to Colorado and maybe drive through Rocky Mtn NP on the way. If you don't have time for that I say screw it and fly. I've made the drive out west and back 5 times and that's the only route through the Great Plains that is remotely interesting scenery-wise. You can sleep overnight on most rest areas along with 300 tractor trailers so that's where I'd catch my Zzzzzzs if you're just passing through. No need to waste time in a Kansas campground! :D

A buddy of mine who I hiked a few 4Ks with now lives in the Chicago area, so I could stop by and visit him on the way :D !

I have 2 weeks vacation, but taking both weeks back-to-back isn't a given. Got lucky last year, but if I can only take a week at a time, I'm definitely flying. OTOH, if I can take two back-to-back weeks, I'm taking the grand tour!

Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:31 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I would do the road trip if I had the time, sounds like fun.

Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:28 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Drive. Every one of us should drive across this great country of ours. AT LEAST once.

Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]