Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Wiped out on Waumbek 
Sovereign Woodsman

Wiped out on Waumbek
"Never send a boy to do a man's job." To which I say, "Never send Microspikes to do a Crampon's job." And now here is a sad story.

We both had Monday off. We thought we would take advantage of the mild winter to add to the list we're not doing. Wambek seemed not to be too difficult a choice; I did not want something with sketchy water crossings.

I should have known better starting with the parking lot. I saw that the road up looked easy, but I did remember a report from the previous day saying low clearance vehicles might have a problem with the ruts just before the lot. So I drove carefully and slowly so as not to bottom out, and promptly stated to skid on ice. So I backed down and parked in the winter lot.

We walked up the icy road and started our hike. It was o.k. for about 5 minutes and then all the blue ice patches (and a lot were hidden by snow) made their appearance. So we put on our spikes and made our way up. It snowed, it sleeted, it fogged, and took forever to get to the evergreen section. That section had a horrible ice dam which I avoided by successfully going around it. And all the way up I questioned my sanity. We finally got to the fireplace, saw some pretty birds that were not greyjays, and decided to go on to Waumbek. That section was pleasant - no ice. I really did not feel that well, and when we got to the summit Prema was cold, so we did not bother to have a snack; much to the chagrin of the grey jay in the tree above. Although there were no views to speak of, the icicles on the fir trees were pretty. And what hair of Prema's that was sticking out of her balaclava was coated in rime ice. For any of you Steven King fans, she reminded me of Nadine Cross from "The Stand." Her camera had crapped out (forgot to chare it the night before), but I immortalized it on my cheap but dependable Trakphone.

Everything was relatively fine on the way down. We both navigated the ice without any spills.... Until..... Almost out of the woods (less than a quarter mile from the trailhead) I stepped on an icy area. To avoid it, I stepped up and off the trail, only to find myself on an icy slope. I fell, slid, caught my left foot around a tree and twisted my left knee. I lay there, thinking of JustJoe's Chocorua adventure nearly a year ago. But I was able to pull myself up and stand and walk out very slowly. Prema was a couple minutes ahead (note to self - bring the damn whistle next time! She won't get more than a few minutes ahead, this would have her right back). I was uncomfortable, but managed the ride home and iced it. Went to the Dr yesterday and am doing the usual thing - elevation, ice, etc. That's it for me until we get rid of this ice!

And so goes #4 on the list we're not doing!

Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:06 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Wiped out on Waumbek
Oh Man! Bummer! I have carried a whistle on my belt loop since the fourth or fifth time I left bloody trails along the woodland paths.

At least you had some cold stuff handy to pack on your knee. And you're right. Microspikes are not the answer to all the conditions, no matter how benign things seem. This is a tricky winter for traction choices.

Well wishes for a quick recovery.

Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:58 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Understatement of the year concerning traction! Thanks!

Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:09 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

That stinks about the slip. I've been using these this year and are quite a bit better than the micros. Only a couple places where I could have used something more aggressive but they got the job done. I'd consider grabbing a pair of these for next year.

http://hillsound.com/hillsound-product/trail-crampon/

Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:34 am
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

As thegibba said, the Hillsound trail crampons provide a bit better traction than Microspikes, but I'd recommend going one level up and getting the Hillsound trail crampon Pro version:

http://www.ems.com/hillsound-trail-pro- ... gQodsGwH2Q

These are somewhere between Hillsound's non-Pro version and true crampons. I've used them a few times, most notably on an extremely icy Mt Kinsman trail a few years ago, and they work well.

Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:12 am
Sovereign Woodsman

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

We got them for Christmas last year and I didn't bring them. As Homer would say, "D'oh!" Thanks for the advice. I sure learned my lesson!

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:28 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Beckie and Prema wrote:
Went to the Dr yesterday and am doing the usual thing - elevation, ice, etc. That's it for me until we get rid of this ice!

Elevation, ice, etc. sounds like how you got into this mess to begin with :wink:

Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:15 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Ain't that the truth!

Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:30 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

That sucks Beckie. I hope you recover quickly. I guess on the bright side if you do have to miss any time on the trails shoulder season is the one to miss.

Let that be a lesson to you. Stay away from Mt. Waumbek! :lol:

Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:35 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

krpayer wrote:
Beckie and Prema wrote:
Went to the Dr yesterday and am doing the usual thing - elevation, ice, etc. That's it for me until we get rid of this ice!

Elevation, ice, etc. sounds like how you got into this mess to begin with :wink:

HA HA HA HA HA. Good one. I see what you did there ^

Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]