Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Uh oh, guess what day it is??? (Other than 3/3/16) 
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Uh oh, guess what day it is??? (Other than 3/3/16)
We could bring spencer along also. Or any one else who feels like it. It will be fun. We promise

Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:56 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Actually we said on this hike that Surely anyone who likes Mount Pierce would like this hike. Very, very similar.

Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:56 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Granite Guy wrote:
Actually we said on this hike that Surely anyone who likes Mount Pierce would like this hike. Very, very similar.

Pfffft. Well. In that case, I'm out. :wink:

Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:04 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

thegibba wrote:
What made you turn back on the hike?

Cold feet, literally. My buddy wore steel-toe boots, which might have did him in, so to speak. Both of us had almost freezing cold feet by the time we got to the hut. Going above treeline to the top would not have been wise.

Strange, because the last time I hiked Lafayette (12/28 I believe), it was much colder and my feet were nice and toasty warm :? ...

NEFF: 31/50
NEHH: 75/100

Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:21 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

hiker0200 wrote:
thegibba wrote:
What made you turn back on the hike?

Cold feet, literally. My buddy wore steel-toe boots, which might have did him in, so to speak. Both of us had almost freezing cold feet by the time we got to the hut. Going above treeline to the top would not have been wise.

Strange, because the last time I hiked Lafayette (12/28 I believe), it was much colder and my feet were nice and toasty warm :? ...

You were by yourself and kept up your lightning pace. Thus you kept warm. This is assumption. When we were at the hut clearing i had to leave up the final push before Derek so that I could get moving and get my hands warm again. When I'm by myself I would tend to fart around a little less, catch my breath, eat a snack and keep moving. Steel toe boots. Yeah no helping that though. Once you stop and hang out. If you don't have the insulation you will get cold fast.

Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:17 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Did you know he had steel toe boots on when you started out?? or did he
spring it on you too late..? Bummer

Terry

Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:09 am
Sovereign Woodsman

thegibba wrote:
You were by yourself and kept up your lightning pace. Thus you kept warm. This is assumption.

Pretty much spot on, except that I went a little slower than usual on the Old Bridle Path :wink:

pgwido wrote:
Did you know he had steel toe boots on when you started out?? or did he
spring it on you too late..? Bummer

Terry

Yea, he kinda told me when we were already near the trailhead. It was actually his idea to try Lafayette. Originally, he wanted to do the whole loop, but then we changed it back to just Lafayette, and then we decided to call it at the hut when our feet got stupid cold :lol:

Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:34 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Very nice. I still haven't done anything for Vermont 4Ks other than Mansfield. Thinking a multi-day trip to bag the remaining 4 might be better than doing those 3-hour drives.....or 5 hours if you go the wrong way on the way back and almost end up in Canada :roll:

Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:35 am
Sovereign Woodsman

There is only a 40 minute difference each way from your home town to camels hump Rd and the highland center. Sounds like VT isn't so far after all. I'm shocked there is only a 23 minute difference for me to get to camels hump from my door compared to you.

Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:37 pm

Multi day would be pretty awesome. There are great car campgrounds and trailside shelters/tent sites all over Vermont. The pre/post eats in that state are second to none. I think Peter still needs Killington, Ellen & Abe. Maybe we can put together something sometime to do some more interesting routes with car spots between all of us if that interests you at all.

Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:41 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

BobC wrote:
Very nice. I still haven't done anything for Vermont 4Ks other than Mansfield. Thinking a multi-day trip to bag the remaining 4 might be better than doing those 3-hour drives.....or 5 hours if you go the wrong way on the way back and almost end up in Canada :roll:

How do you...

Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:33 pm

hiker0200 wrote:
BobC wrote:

How do you...

Well (and sorry to GG for the hijack), I saw the I-89 ramps, and chose that time (a bad decision) to grab my phone and call my wife. I guess I then got on the northbound ramp even though I know you need go south in I-89, I drove for about an hour, gabbing on the phone and not paying enough attention to driving, and only when I saw the sign that said "Canada 6 miles" did I realize I was going the wrong way!

Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:03 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Tremendous looking hike, obviously!

For what it's worth, if/when there's any kind of a Vermont trip planned, let me know so that I can tell you that my schedule won't allow it. Like Bob I "need" (want!) all save Mansfield.

Bob, I grew up in SD and went to school in CA. One time, driving S through Nebraska on state highways to reach 80, I missed a turn and ended up driving about 45 minutes E instead of S/W. That's an hour and a half wasted, plus gas and frustration (you don't want to drive through any more Nebraska than you have to, I promise), and I was furious with myself. Furious! And then all of the sudden I realized that I'd driven the wrong way across Nebraska. . . just like Lloyd Christmas. At that point, my pride was a small price for that kind of real life comedy!

Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:54 pm

Grindboy wrote:
One time, driving S through Nebraska on state highways to reach 80, I missed a turn and ended up driving about 45 minutes E instead of S/W. That's an hour and a half wasted, plus gas and frustration (you don't want to drive through any more Nebraska than you have to, I promise), and I was furious with myself. Furious! And then all of the sudden I realized that I'd driven the wrong way across Nebraska. . . just like Lloyd Christmas. At that point, my pride was a small price for that kind of real life comedy!

Some people just weren't cut out for life on the road! :D

Since you managed to link Came's Hump and the best comedy ever, we will definitely let you know when things get planned. We've talked about a Camel's Hump traverse on the LT for about a year now. Ellen/Abe are definitely better as a traverse, and Killington/Pico and the other HH peak nearby make for a better hike too.

Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:40 pm

You know, I have always wondered. If Mansfield has a Nose, Forehead, Chin, etc. does that mean Camels Hump has a Camel Toe? :twisted:

Yes. Yes I just went there. :lol:

Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2