Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Uh oh, guess what day it is??? (Other than 3/3/16) 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Uh oh, guess what day it is??? (Other than 3/3/16)
HUUUMMP DAAAAAY!!

Hopefully that makes sense to you. If not click here... :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc6WDloo-Qo

And since I had too much of the free Green Mountain coffee on the ride home here a report from the day. Anyhow, with what might be winters last stand happening (before a big warm up next week it appears) thegibba and I decided we should head for some high ground to enjoy it. He had never hiked Camels Hump and I hadn't hiked it in 19 years. It's the 4K that it has been the longest since my last visit, if that makes any sense, and with cloudless skies it was time for a return trip. We looked at the options but winter routes were kind of limited without a car spot, so we decided on the Monroe Trail as the Burrows seemed too short to be worth the 3 hour drive. Getting to the parking lot may have been the toughest part of the day, but once we found it we geared up and headed out. The winter lot is located about half a mile below the summer lot, so you walk up the access road to get to the Monroe Trailhead. Near the trailhead is the Monroe Cemetery, which is the final resting spot of the husband and wife who owned the area, along with about 7 of their dogs, each with their own grave stone.

Winter parking is about half a mile from the trailhead

And it's an uphill half mile at that

Ranger cabin closed for the season

The weather Gods finally smiled on us!

From the closed ranger cabin you sign in and start a gentle climb through some beautiful woods. They just got 2 inches of snow yesterday and it sure looked nice strolling through the freshly coated forest. The first 3 miles or so of the trail is never steep, gaining about 1800 feet spread out fairly evenly. Lots of leafless hardwoods provided some views of the surrounding mountains and occasionally the summit ahead before turning into maybe a mile of tree tunnels.

The Monroe Trail provides a moderate route to the summit

2 miles of bluebird skies

Finally the scenery changes a bit

Peter passing under the first cliffs

Tunneling through the trees

The last mile or so got steeper gaining about 1000 feet, but was never really steep until the final 1/4 mile to the top. Before that last .2 miles we had a snack and geared up at a clearing where the un-tracked Long Trail headed north. The summit towered above the trees in the bright sunshine and a couple other hikers came by as we added some layers. A golden retriever came bounding out of the trees and we both thought it might be Tim and Griffin maybe working on a winter 67 hike, but it wasn't. Temp was about 3 degrees and the winds were 20-25 mph above treeline so balaclavas, glasses, goggles and more gloves came out for the final exposed climb to the top. Everything was nicely coated in rime and snow, and views opened up as we climbed of the Adirondacks, Mt. Mansfield, the snow-caped Whites and more. What a day! The new snow even made what was reported as a pretty icy climb a couple days before pretty easy today.

The start of the longest .6 miles ever. It has to be measured wrong, or maybe it's just because it got steeper

Starting to open up

The clearing at last

You just have to love fresh snow!

The summit towering above in the bright blue sky

Coldest day of the year for me on the trails

.3 miles to go

Steepest trail of the day

Entering the alpine zone and getting some views

The Adirondacks on the horizon

Mt. Mansfield

Summit in sight

When we got to the top we spent about 20 minutes soaking in the crystal clear views you usually only get on cold winter days. The High Peaks of the Daks, Lake Champlain, the Gren Mountains to the south, the white capped Whites 75 miles east and more. Just awesome!! A few pics but fingers were getting numb fast doing so not as many as usual. None of the Monroe's Saint Bernards around with whiskey either, so we settled for a little winter warmer that Peter had in his pack. A quick cheers to a real winter hike (we hadn't had a good, cold one all season) and all things that are good about Hike-NH and we packed it up and headed down out of the wind.

Looking down the spine of the Greens

Top of Vermont

Cold Hollow Mountains

Peter looking towards the Whites

Snow-capped White Mountains

L->R - Snowy Presis, Franconia Ridge & The Moose 75 miles away but clear as a bell

Presis

Franconia Ridge

No St Bernard around so Peter brought me a warm up

Got a little Captain in ya?!

Fellow hikers posing for pics

Us posing for our own

Provisions on top

And down we go!

Just a bit of ice lurking under the new snow but not a big deal today

Back at the clearing we had a quick snack for some energy and started the 4 mile trip back to the car. Conditions were just perfect and we made great time, covering the 3.2 miles to the trailhead in less than an hour. We visited the Monroe cemetery briefly before finishing off the hike back to the winter lot. On the way home we stopped for the best burger in Vermont, quite possibly the best you'll ever have, at Worthy Burger and then I tortured Peter with Zac Brown the whole ride home! :twisted: I think the totals for this one were 7.6 miles with 2900 feet of elevation, but it seemed like less. One of the easier 4K routes out there I think and conditions are ideal right now with the new snow sticking to and covering all the ice. If you're looking for a great hike this weekend I can highly recommend this one. We used Hillsound spikes car to car but saw snowshoes and Yaktrax as well on a couple trail runners. Another excellent day in the mountains for sure.

Back at the clearing we found a plaque while having a snack

Who knew these had so many colored crunch berries?!

The used to only be pink when I was a kid, but they are still delicious!

One last look at the top

The family and pet cemetery

The best Burger in Vermont, and possibly anywhere, to cap off a perfect day

Last edited by Granite Guy on Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:02 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Uh oh, guess what day it is??? (Other than 3/3/16)
I have a few days off next week, this looks like a good one!

Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:40 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Nice one! Looks like it can't get any better than that!

Terry

Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:23 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I loved Camel's Hump when I did it, and I would love to go back. Unfortunately (or fortunately), keeping the mileage down on my car is more important than ever. I have a $2,600 tax return on the way and about $1,500 in uncashed savings bonds, so I'm going to have a hella fun summer! Can't do that though if I drive halfway across New England every weekend :| .

Thank goodness Franconia Notch and Waterville Valley are both only an hour and a half away :D !

NEFF: 31/50
NEHH: 75/100

Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:39 pm

hiker0200 wrote:
I loved Camel's Hump when I did it, and I would love to go back. Unfortunately (or fortunately), keeping the mileage down on my car is more important than ever. I have a $2,600 tax return on the way and about $1,500 in uncashed savings bonds, so I'm going to have a hella fun summer! Can't do that though if I drive halfway across New England every weekend :| .

Thank goodness Franconia Notch and Waterville Valley are both only an hour and a half away :D !

Long drives can eat up gas. Bring a friend or two and split the cost. Fortunately it's as cheap as it's going to get right now. By summer they said back to $2.50 or so, so consider every tank of gas you go through now a savings of $10.00 down the road! :D Of course if you're going to drive to Canada all the time that's another story... :wink:

Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:57 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Looked like a great day up there. Hasn't been 19 years for me but likely 13-14 now. I should get back as my last trip was fast and socked in.

Quality summit nourishment. ;). And yes, when did Cap'n Crunch go full color?

Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:06 am
Sovereign Woodsman

It was in fact a fantastic day up there. The coldest hike we have done since last year. We ended up being out of practice and had to deal with frosty fingers. I ended up with a good sunburn due to no leaves on the trees and all the reflection from the snow. It was fun to bring out the goggles and such. It's not often they get used.

One friendly trail runner came up while we were in the clearing before the summit. As we were going up the final .2 he was headed down the burrows trail. When we were hanging out on top, he made his way back up! :shock: he said he usually makes a few laps. Different strokes for different folks.

Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:56 am

I'm not sure I get it, you did this Thursday. Isn't Hump-Day Wednesday? :roll: :wink:

Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:01 am
Sovereign Woodsman

JustJoe wrote:
I'm not sure I get it, you did this Thursday. Isn't Hump-Day Wednesday? :roll: :wink:

We could always call it Viewsday if it would make you feel better. :mrgreen:

Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:54 am

JustJoe wrote:

I guess my misdirection didn't fool Joe. He's pretty good at these guessing games! :D

Definitely some quality summit nourishment. I wouldn't reccomend too much of either on a regular basis but I don't know of anything with more calories per serving other than Gu gels and such, and even that's close. 65 calories in an ounce of rum and 90 or so in an ounce of Gu. Not much else is even close. To life, love and loot! :beer:

Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:58 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Granite Guy wrote:
Long drives can eat up gas. Bring a friend or two and split the cost.

What's a friend?

In all seriousness, I've had extremely rubbish luck getting people to go hiking with me. I attempted Lafayette last week with a co-worker of mine, and that was the first time I hiked with someone other than my Dad in way too long.

Quote:
Fortunately it's as cheap as it's going to get right now. By summer they said back to $2.50 or so

Ouch... shoulda known that would happen. Still better than the $4.00/gal it was a couple years back 8)

Quote:
Of course if you're going to drive to Canada all the time that's another story... :wink:

Well, there is a Psychostick concert in Montreal coming up... :wink:

NEFF: 31/50
NEHH: 75/100

Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:12 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

hiker0200 wrote:
What's a friend?

In all seriousness, I've had extremely rubbish luck getting people to go hiking with me. I attempted Lafayette last week with a co-worker of mine, and that was the first time I hiked with someone other than my Dad in way too long.

What made you turn back on the hike?

Whenever my nieces or nephew want to go hiking, I try to plan an easier route that doesn't involve 4k foot+ days. In the summer it's easier to pick routes with some bang to them but aren't crazy hard like Caps ridge. (not a good trail right now obv.) Last summer i brought one of my nieces up there and took a spin around Jefferson and got to enjoy the alpine zone on a beautiful day (and got some red lining in :twisted: ). She had a blast. Just something to keep them coming back for more. It's pretty sweet seeing the sense of awe in someones face. They are looking to us to bring them somewhere for an experience. So it's more about them and their capabilities rather than our own. Eventually you can bring them on death marches! :twisted:

Edit: nudge nudge. You can come with Derek and I as well for bigger hikes. We always have open slots.

Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:02 am
Sovereign Woodsman

thegibba wrote:
Edit: nudge nudge. You can come with Derek and I as well for bigger hikes. We always have open slots.

Oh. That's nice. I see how it is.

Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:01 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

We haven't forgotten about you. We've got ideas. :twisted:

Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:48 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

thegibba wrote:
We haven't forgotten about you. We've got ideas. :twisted:

Oh. Uh, OK. That ^ just makes me nervous!

Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next