Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Placidity on Pierce 
Sovereign Woodsman

Placidity on Pierce
Sooooooooooooo. Car in the shop. Newbies I was to take hiking bailed. Hmmmm....what's an addict to do? Borrow the husband's truck, of course, and head to Pierce. Duh. That's a no-brainer. So despite sleeping in Monday (I was traumatized by Sunday's Waumbek/break-down events) I hit the road later than usual but figured I could get some trail time on my favorite peak and have time enough to shower before heading to work at 6. Interesting ride up in the 1978 Ford pickup with no power steering or brakes or radio or company but I made do. Interesting that the truck is from an era where clearly things moved slower in our world and thereby forced me to chill out a bit and just relax and enjoy the ride.

That I did. Pulled over long enough to check out this view

Still feeling pretty chill, until I got to the parking lot. OK. You know how you make that 90 degree left turn from Clinton Road into the lot and you have that short downward sloped stretch, then make a 90 degree right turn into the lot? Well, as soon as I turned the wheel to make that left I realized it wasn't a good move as the entire slope was ice. No snow, no sand, no salt. I was stopped, but the momentum and gravity took over. SH*T SH*T SH*T!!! Next thing I knew I was sliding down, completely sideways, gaining speed, approaching those huge rocks at the bottom, watching my life flash before my eyes in my husband's "new" truck (bought in September, mint condition, 22,000 miles. Yes. That is correct. Read that again. 1978 with 22,000 miles). Fortunately muscle memory took over and somehow I managed to recover and start travelling in the direction I was facing. Only problem with that was the kiosk I was now headed for. SH*T SH*T SH*T!!! I did something right again and managed to avoid the kiosk, avoid the rocks, avoid the car parked right there and only took out the snow bank. I drove to the far side of the lot and pulled in to check for damage. Whew. None. Panting, sweating, praying, cursing I decided that if I was going to need help getting out of that lot I would rather it be at 9:30 in the morning than whenever I got down so I got up as much speed as I could on that flat section and gunned it up that slope to get out. 3/4 of the way the tires started spinning. SH*T SH*T SH*T!!! C'mon.....little fancy mini-switchbacking and I made it out and though I wasn't sure where I was going to park I sure as hell knew where I wasn't.

Worked out though b/c I got to see this sign that I'd forgotten was at the actual trailhead. In the 2 or 3 times I have hiked Pierce I have started with the Crawford Connector from the parking lot.

Boots on trail just shy of 10:00. Late start but, chill day, remember? Speaking of chill...watch your footing here. Don't wanna end up in the drink.

Despite the later-than-usual boots on trail, I was enjoying the sun's higher position

Trail was a little icy in spots, but I flew up with microspikes. Honestly, most of us could have bare booted this trail but the spikes did allow for some mindless cruising over some of the tricky spots

"Two roads diverged in a yellow wood [ok, it wasn't yellow. Thank goodness!],

And [not] sorry [at all that] I could not travel both

And be one traveler, long I stood [mostly just snacking and layering up]

And looked down one as far as I could

To where it bent in the undergrowth [not really. there was no bending in undergrowth, just more snow];

Then took the other [because that's the safer, less extreme route to the summit. That trail up from the hut can be sketchy in winters like this]

Closing in

Approaching treeline

Snow feathers, cool ice crystals, aerobic exercise for birds (pretty sure this was the jumping jacks station), curious Jay...what more can a hiker ask for?

LOVE getting to this sign

First view of Washington

Zoomed

In the clear. Got a bit chilly here. Didn't have one of those fancy contraptions with the red liquid, but I would guess hovering around zero is about right.

Almost at junction

Ah yes. There it is. Standing once again

Presidential summit, sun-kissed surroundings with not another soul around, hot coffee, warm clothes, stellar views. Doesn't get much better than this.

Hard to pick a favorite photo from today, but this might be it

Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:31 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Re: Placidity on Pierce
I have this nagging feeling in the back of my mind that there's something I don't particularly like abor Mt. Pierce, but reading the trip report and looking at those pictures all I can think of is wow! Wish I was there! :D

Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:30 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Mt. Clinton Road chewed up and spit out my car a couple years ago... no damage, but I had to call a tow truck to get out of the ditch. At least you (and the truck) survived and still got to enjoy the hike. Looks like a beautiful day.

Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:50 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Kathy wrote:

Where was I standing? Oh wait, is this the wrong thread for that? 8)

Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:14 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

JustJoe wrote:
Kathy wrote:

Where was I standing? Oh wait, is this the wrong thread for that? 8)

On my shoulders??? I thought my pack seemed unusually heavy! :lol:

Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:26 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Kathy, he will need a sherpa soon anyways. Poor guy cant really hike anymore.

Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]