Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 2/15/16 Noon Peak, Sandwich Dome, Jennings Peak 
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

2/15/16 Noon Peak, Sandwich Dome, Jennings Peak
I had the day off Monday, and since Garry and I had skipped hiking Saturday due to the extreme cold, we decided to hike to Sandwich Dome in cold that was just somewhat less extreme. We set out on the Sandwich Mountain trail with Garry's car saying it was -6 degrees. But we bundled up pretty well and decided to make the best of it, though I think we both were wondering if we were crazy to be out on a day like this.

The brook crossing was solid ice and easy to cross, and within 20 minutes we had warmed up. The whole day was nearly wind-free; on the summit of Sandwich Dome, we might have had 3 mph winds, and it was sunny enough for most of the hike that it felt warmer than it really was - it was probably single-digit temps for the whole day. The only bit of wind we had was on Jennings Peak, which we saved for last, and we only hung out there for about a minute. We wore spikes all day and had pretty good conditions to leave the snowshoes behind; just a little drifting near Sandwich Dome summit. We took Drake's Brook trail down, which, after an initial somewhat-steep part near the top, turns into a really easy cruise out. This was my third time on these trails but the first time I had actually gone all the way to Sandwich Dome from this direction.

A great day with unexpectedly good weather.

Views from the first ledge outlook leading up to Noon Peak....this is one of the best parts of this hike.

Noon Peak

Views from Sandwich Dome

View from Jennings Peak

Some ice formations along Drake's Brook on the way out

Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:24 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: 2/15/16 Noon Peak, Sandwich Dome, Jennings Peak
Nice first shot there Bob. Is that the view right above that pretty steep scramble? I have never made it over to the Dome. It's on my list.

Good on you for getting out Monday.

Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:29 pm

Sorry Bob, but this report is incomplete without a picture of you eating a sammich. :D

Brian

Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:20 am

Kathy wrote:
Nice first shot there Bob. Is that the view right above that pretty steep scramble? I have never made it over to the Dome. It's on my list.

Good on you for getting out Monday.

Yes it is....and boy is that section steep! Wish I took a picture of it. After that steep spot there is nothing else that steep for the rest of the hike.

New Hampshire wrote:
Sorry Bob, but this report is incomplete without a picture of you eating a sammich. :D

Brian

Well, I don't have a picture of me eating a sandwich on this hike, but here's a photo of you showing me some love at Lafayette Campground. This has nothing to do with your request for a sandwich pic, but I was looking through my photos and just thought this one was funny. :lol:

Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:59 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Chilly air but crystal clear views. What's not to love about winter hiking! I haven't hiked Noon or Jennings, or the Dome from that side. Looks like a solid hike. Will have to add it to the Spring to-do list.

Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:02 am

Granite Guy wrote:
Chilly air but crystal clear views. What's not to love about winter hiking! I haven't hiked Noon or Jennings, or the Dome from that side. Looks like a solid hike. Will have to add it to the Spring to-do list.

Yeah, this is a great hike. I've read many comments saying Sandwich Dome is boring...and yes, it doesn't have the 360-degree views the some peaks have, just partly-obscured directional views. But it's the right direction for some amazing views. On this hike we saw as far away as Moosilauke and Cannon, and could clearly see Franconia Ridge, the Presis, etc.....so what's not to love about this peak? Plus you can just do Noon and Jennings and it's a nice hike with some great views. Add to this the fact that it's relatively un-crowded, and there's just something I like about the woods in the Sandwich Range....this hike has become one of my favorites.

Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:19 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Bob the hike is too technical for him. Plus its too far to drive! 8)

Greg

Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:45 pm

BobC wrote:
Well, I don't have a picture of me eating a sandwich on this hike, but here's a photo of you showing me some love at Lafayette Campground. This has nothing to do with your request for a sandwich pic, but I was looking through my photos and just thought this one was funny. :lol:

I remember that day well! I also remember some freaky, chain smoking dude with a love of oldies played on the acoustic guitar was there as well. Damn, what was his name?..... :lol:

Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:38 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Great pic of W. And the ice formation. Bummer it clouded up for u as the day progressed. Where is ur hat! Brrrr...

Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:50 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

For some reason, whenever I think Sandwich Dome, I think Sandwich Notch Rd, even though I have never driven that road to access the Dome. Guess if I ever want to hike the Algonquin Trail, I have to hope my little Kia can make it that far... :|

That said, nice work guys! Sandwich's view is nice, but Jennings's view is better IMHO. I wonder if there's still a movement to build a 7+ foot cairn on top of SD :wink:

NEFF: 31/50
NEHH: 75/100

Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:22 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

hiker0200 wrote:
I have to hope my little Kia can make it that far... :|

It's not quite as bad as it's often made out to be, so I wouldn't say it's impossible, but if you really like the car I personally would find a friend with a higher clearance vehicle.

Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:19 pm

hiker0200 wrote:
For some reason, whenever I think Sandwich Dome, I think Sandwich Notch Rd, even though I have never driven that road to access the Dome. Guess if I ever want to hike the Algonquin Trail, I have to hope my little Kia can make it that far... :|

That said, nice work guys! Sandwich's view is nice, but Jennings's view is better IMHO. I wonder if there's still a movement to build a 7+ foot cairn on top of SD :wink:

I agree, Jennings probably has the better view.

As for Sandwich Notch Road, don't do it! Years ago I had a Corolla and I had the bright idea (not knowing it's reputation) of taking it as a "shortcut" between the Mt Israel and Welch-Dickey trailheads (I was doing two hikes that day). What a nightmare, I thought my car would be wrecked. Also, just this past summer, I did hike the Algonquin trail, and at the time was still driving a small car (Scion Tc)....it was another white-knuckle ride. Now I have a higher-clearance vehicle that (Nissan Rogue) that I'd trust more on that road.

Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:53 am
Sovereign Woodsman

BobC wrote:
hiker0200 wrote:

I agree, Jennings probably has the better view.

As for Sandwich Notch Road, don't do it! Years ago I had a Corolla and I had the bright idea (not knowing it's reputation) of taking it as a "shortcut" between the Mt Israel and Welch-Dickey trailheads (I was doing two hikes that day). What a nightmare, I thought my car would be wrecked. Also, just this past summer, I did hike the Algonquin trail, and at the time was still driving a small car (Scion Tc)....it was another white-knuckle ride. Now I have a higher-clearance vehicle that (Nissan Rogue) that I'd trust more on that road.

Guess nothing's changed with that road. Two years ago, I drove the whole road, from Mead Base to route 49, in my old Dodge Dakota. Once the drive was over, the transmission was hurtin' big time. I pulled into the Smarts Brook Trail parking lot to let it cool down, and I had to literally slam the gearstick to get it to shift into park :shock:

NEFF: 31/50
NEHH: 75/100

Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]