[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Hike-NH.com - View topic - Wildcat/Moriah Traverse + Presidential Traverse 2/6/2016

Click for Mount Washington, New Hampshire Forecast

Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:06 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Wildcat/Moriah Traverse + Presidential Traverse 2/6/2016 
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Re: Wildcat/Moriah Traverse + Presidential Traverse 2/6/2016

Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:00 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

In regards to the facemask solution. I'm gonna go ahead and put in a second plug for this thing

I'll be honest and say that i haven't used it very much, because it's makes me really HOT in most conditions. I did wear it with a pair of goggles when I crossed Franconia Ridge and was extremely satisfied.

Somehow it's thick enough to keep the wind out, but porous enough so that I could breath through it without fogging up my goggles.

It's also great if you want to rob a bank after your hike.

Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:09 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Last edited by rich99 on Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:28 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Keep in mind, face mask or gloves, my comments were meant in the goal of being comfortable in movement more than an hour out in 60mph winds and under -30F.

GPS is for exceptional cases like whiteouts or difficult route finding like finding herd path.

I would not carry these in easier conditions. Map and compass is simpler, lighter and faster.

Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:42 pm
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:46 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Thanks for the update Walrus!

You are right for Ben Nephew, I didn't keep up with this too, but I remember I was was very happy for Adam, because he worked hard for it. I don't think I can even touch the woman FKT and any of the smaller summits FKT and I have tried.

Interesting for the 48, I see now it's Andrew Thompson. I'll have to check his route, because I didn't find Tim's optimal and I was basing mine on his. I'm doing the pemi loop next and couldn't find something efficient to do Hale to Owl Head to Flume.

Brian, you can read Ben's bio: http://mountainpeakfitness.com/ben/.
He's a 'professional' mountain runner that likes to do FKT's and I think that's awesome. He also has a normal job. Professional is in quotes, because except Kilian Jornet and some Europeans, not many live from the sport and all have jobs.

Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:03 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:50 pm
Master Mountaineer

Who needs actions when you got words?

Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:25 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

I'd love 15 lbs too, but honestly don't believe I'd feel safe going above treeline with that on anything but a cherry picked day. In conditions like you experienced I wouldn't even dream of it, but glad it worked out in the end for you.

And good luck with the SS 115 quest. I've never heard of it being done either. The SS NEHH is the closest I have heard of. Keep posting reports if you go forward with it. The Baxter State Park peaks and some of the Daks like Haystack should be epic this winter with all the ice.

Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:36 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:43 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Last edited by rich99 on Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:05 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Guys, to the point of winter and dangers and Brian. Look, my girlfriend and I almost killed ourselves on our two first 4000' hikes. Not just once, two in a row. We were stupid and ignorant. First time, I got lost on Eisenhower when I wanted to go to Washington and almost broke my ankle before sunset, we didn't even hike together. Another time, we were stuck on Big Slide in the ADK in icy boulders not able to descend while we were frozen from rain and ice under 32F. No cellphone and in the dark and wind.

Hiking is dangerous and people must warn new hikers from this. So then some people like Brian see those warnings as patronizing or excessive. He's done his homework on knowing what to carry and went very prepared and found the hike too easy. Then Brian hyperboles those warnings, because it's funny and then it clashes because he does make the forums or all the helpful people here look bad. Then it escalated. Brian, your hike went well, but it could have turned very bad easily, people here and I have been there before and it's why we'd rather others not go through this. But everyone ends up living their own survival and you've managed to start higher up the learning curve thanks to all those warnings. So those warnings are justified. I'm not offering solutions here, but this is what it is. People must be warned. Some get lucky others die or get irreversible damage or generate great SAR expenses every year.

You can continue this discussion on Brian's SpiteHike report.

Last edited by rich99 on Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:32 pm

These trip reports are intended to help others at all levels of experience whether it's planning, gear, or routes etc.
This is not a personal board to hijack and berate other hikers.

Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:33 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2