Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:28 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Wildcat/Moriah Traverse + Presidential Traverse 2/6/2016 
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Re: Wildcat/Moriah Traverse + Presidential Traverse 2/6/2016
rich99 wrote:
Hi Brian, I've read your posts and found them funny.

Well, that makes one person. Hopefully the rest of the crowd will come around.

rich99 wrote:
This day seems like a lot, but it’s much easier than 3 days in the Tour de France or the various 100 miles endurance races people like to do.

Those people train full time. They have corporate sponsors that pay for their living while they dedicate every muscle to competitive training. You're approaching this as a weekend warrior. I'm not sure the comparison is apt.

rich99 wrote:
I expected to finish the 30 peaks the way they are outlined in the plan. Go from point 1 to 12. I'm usually solo, but my girlfriend helping me allowed to plan more.

Nice girl. All the more reason you should have put some dinner reservations on your itinerary. :wink:

rich99 wrote:
Those aren't freakish abilities, I'm an above average ultra runner, but far from elite.

I hope you aren't taking offense to the term "freakish". I mean it in a good way. In my mind, you're the Lebron James of White Mountain Hiking right now.

rich99 wrote:
I'm 33, 6' and 160lbs and it's a big disadvantage for ultra endurance. Too tall and heavy.

I don't see why height would be a disadvantage. I would think longer legs = less strides = less energy consumed. And if 160lbs is "too heavy", I'm feeling pretty bad about myself right now :(

Most psychologists, life coaches, and optimists in the world would say that you're doing yourself a disservice by planning to fail. Success begets success, and failure begets failure. Check into a book/film called "The Secret", or do some research on the "Law of Attraction", and maybe you'll see what I mean.

That's just my two cents. I read your post and see a lot of "I'm not elite", "my genetics are average", and "my 5k is only 20 mins". Those kind of thoughts are bad for the brain. So is trying to compare yourself to professional athletes. That kind of thinking will hold you back.

But do what works for you man. take my advice or leave it. Thanks for posting either way.

Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:00 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

In regards to the facemask solution. I'm gonna go ahead and put in a second plug for this thing

http://forum.hike-nh.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8964

I'll be honest and say that i haven't used it very much, because it's makes me really HOT in most conditions. I did wear it with a pair of goggles when I crossed Franconia Ridge and was extremely satisfied.

Somehow it's thick enough to keep the wind out, but porous enough so that I could breath through it without fogging up my goggles.

It's also great if you want to rob a bank after your hike.

Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:09 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Quote:
Those people train full time. They have corporate sponsors that pay for their living while they dedicate every muscle to competitive training. You're approaching this as a weekend warrior. I'm not sure the comparison is apt.

Training full time is not possible, you can only do so much in a day. 1-2 hours a day is all it takes and many spends this on the Tv. My corporate sponsor is my job and my rest time is sitting in front of a computer 10 hours a day. A lot of elite and olympians have a day job and a family. I'm approaching this as a dedicated professional athlete and I train year long for this. It's the same dream chasing as olympians. Genetics don't allow us to get there, but we can still have the fun.

Quote:
Nice girl. All the more reason you should have put some dinner reservations on your itinerary.

You're right, but I also planned her day hikes and she really enjoyed her day on the Tom/Field/Willey loop. We've often ended up in a hotel when she froze too much :) I'll invite her to a good restaurant this week.

Quote:
I hope you aren't taking offense to the term "freakish". I mean it in a good way. In my mind, you're the Lebron James of White Mountain Hiking right now.

No, I know what you meant. I'm just displaying this as something the average dedicated person can do. The Lebron James of White Mountain Hiking are Ben Nephew (FKT for presi and ex-pemi), Adam Wilcox (FKT for pemi) or Tim Seaver (48 record).

Quote:
I don't see why height would be a disadvantage. I would think longer legs = less strides = less energy consumed.

The best mountain runners and marathoners are 5'3 120lbs. Energy used is not about stride, it's about weight moved. Short legs can extend enough to move a long distance, with my longer legs I have to do short strides or else I'd be burning myself.

Quote:
And if 160lbs is "too heavy", I'm feeling pretty bad about myself right now :(

Maybe if you aspire to become a top competitive hiker and voluntarily neglect to keep your weight in check. If this is not a priority, you shouldn't feel bad about it. In general, being heavy is good for much more things than being light. Like lifting heavy objects, self defense, surviving a very long time without eating. Being light is good for running endurance and maybe longevity. And if you meant the genetic part, we don't feel bad that being 6' is too short for pro basketball. Each sport has different set of ideals.

Quote:
That's just my two cents. I read your post and see a lot of "I'm not elite", "my genetics are average", and "my 5k is only 20 mins". Those kind of thoughts are bad for the brain. So is trying to compare yourself to professional athletes. That kind of thinking will hold you back.

I read your posts and you've said everyone says that hiking is for the tough and noobs should stay home. I'm trying to convey something different, that what I do is what average people have done after dedicating themselves to playing the life of a professional athlete or something like that. I don't see myself as a failure, I don't care about my performance, it's a competition against my own limits and I'm having a blast doing this.

Last edited by rich99 on Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:28 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Keep in mind, face mask or gloves, my comments were meant in the goal of being comfortable in movement more than an hour out in 60mph winds and under -30F.

GPS is for exceptional cases like whiteouts or difficult route finding like finding herd path.

I would not carry these in easier conditions. Map and compass is simpler, lighter and faster.

Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:42 pm
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

rich99 wrote:
No, I know what you meant. I'm just displaying this as something the average dedicated person can do. The Lebron James of White Mountain Hiking are Ben Nephew (FKT for presi and ex-pemi), Adam Wilcox (FKT for pemi) or Tim Seaver (48 record).

I thought Ben Nephew took the Pemi FKT back like a month later and Tim Seaver's record was beat by an hour or so a couple of years ago. I don't really follow it but they seemed like big deals at the time.

I was hiking a Pemi loop the same day the Women's FKT was set, and when she passed me(she shouted from like 50 feet back and I pretty much dove out of the way), my first thought was, "wow this person is small". Interestingly, I just looked it up and the currrent marathon record holder is 6'. 128 lbs though, and Kenyan. . .

Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:46 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Thanks for the update Walrus!

You are right for Ben Nephew, I didn't keep up with this too, but I remember I was was very happy for Adam, because he worked hard for it. I don't think I can even touch the woman FKT and any of the smaller summits FKT and I have tried.

Interesting for the 48, I see now it's Andrew Thompson. I'll have to check his route, because I didn't find Tim's optimal and I was basing mine on his. I'm doing the pemi loop next and couldn't find something efficient to do Hale to Owl Head to Flume.

Brian, you can read Ben's bio: http://mountainpeakfitness.com/ben/.
He's a 'professional' mountain runner that likes to do FKT's and I think that's awesome. He also has a normal job. Professional is in quotes, because except Kilian Jornet and some Europeans, not many live from the sport and all have jobs.

Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:03 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Beckie and Prema wrote:
WOW!!!!! I would have been scared s-less! I'm scared s-less just reading this story! Hope you feel better.

What she ^^ said! Holy Schlamoley!!

JustJoe wrote:
A common mistake made when using googles is putting them on, then maybe not needing them for a while and just just putting them up on their head. A lot of heat (steam) is coming off your head which heats up the goggle a bit. Now you put them back on your cold face.

And what he ^^ said. Learned this a long time ago. Either wear 'em or don't

Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:50 pm
Master Mountaineer

rich99 wrote:
My pack was about 15 pounds including food and water I find this is heavy. I carried snowshoes and enough to bivy.

Your total pack weight including pack, snowshoes, water, food, and bivy was 15 pounds? What do you have for a pack and for snowshoes? I'd LOVE 15 pounds in the winter.

Who needs actions when you got words?

Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:25 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

I'd love 15 lbs too, but honestly don't believe I'd feel safe going above treeline with that on anything but a cherry picked day. In conditions like you experienced I wouldn't even dream of it, but glad it worked out in the end for you.

And good luck with the SS 115 quest. I've never heard of it being done either. The SS NEHH is the closest I have heard of. Keep posting reports if you go forward with it. The Baxter State Park peaks and some of the Daks like Haystack should be epic this winter with all the ice.

Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:36 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

rich99 wrote:
I'm trying to convey something different, that what I do is what average people have done after dedicating themselves to playing the life of a professional athlete or something like that. I don't see myself as a failure, I don't care about my performance, it's a competition against my own limits and I'm having a blast doing this.

I've enjoyed reading your trip report.

This is a wonderful view and inspiring. :)

Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:43 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

iagreewithjamie wrote:
rich99 wrote:
My pack was about 15 pounds including food and water I find this is heavy. I carried snowshoes and enough to bivy.

Your total pack weight including pack, snowshoes, water, food, and bivy was 15 pounds? What do you have for a pack and for snowshoes? I'd LOVE 15 pounds in the winter.

My pack was lower than 15lbs and I don't see what I'd need more. Everything I have is ultra light weight, but you can find lighter, although it would have to be in Cuben Fiber and it's expensive. Some things like the sat phone, camera and ice axe where on me, but I think it would have still weighted under 15lbs with all in. When I've eaten most of the food and water and the big jacket on me, pack is under 10lbs.

Pack: Mountain Hardwear Summit Rocket 40 (28oz)
Snowshoes: Northern Lites Race (32oz)
Big Jacket: MH Phantom Hooded Down Jacket (17.4oz)
Ice Axe: Camp Corsa Nanotech (8.8oz)
Western Mountaineering Flash pants (6.5oz)
Bivy: Rab Survival Zone Lite (8.3oz)
Emergency Blanket: (2.5oz)
Water + hydrapack 750ml soft flask: (27oz)
Food: 1200 calories dates, nuts and 2 coffe crisp bars (12oz)

This all adds up to under 9lbs. There are other things like the goggles I didn't use, but not much heavy. I just weighted my pack without the jacket, axe and water and it was 9lbs. The little things can make a bag heavy fast. That's why I hate the new Garmin GPSMAP 64 I got, 9oz for a GPS?! It's heavier than my long ice axe.

I do have EnlightenedEquipment quilts for 20F (18oz) to 0F (23oz) that I pack sometimes if I'll be far from safety and temperatures will drop. That day on Washington wasn't that cold, people had beautiful spring day down below and anyone would be out of their mind to spend a night up. If anything happened, I'd run down in a hurry and many exits were available.

The pack is not as light as a HMG, but it's pretty light. I could have packet everything in a smaller pack, but I like to have space for stuff like my big down jacket ready to put above everything. I've used these snowshoes all winter. They would break if I did too much running on rocks, but they've the abuse withstand very well up to now. The clothe I'm wearing was also light (Hardshell: MH Quasar pullover (9.2oz), doesn't even have full zipper, pockets or air pits, but I like it). The only clothes I had packet are socks and down pants. I never wet my clothes. I pack some gels for survival, but you don't need to eat much when going slow.

Last edited by rich99 on Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:05 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Guys, to the point of winter and dangers and Brian. Look, my girlfriend and I almost killed ourselves on our two first 4000' hikes. Not just once, two in a row. We were stupid and ignorant. First time, I got lost on Eisenhower when I wanted to go to Washington and almost broke my ankle before sunset, we didn't even hike together. Another time, we were stuck on Big Slide in the ADK in icy boulders not able to descend while we were frozen from rain and ice under 32F. No cellphone and in the dark and wind.

Hiking is dangerous and people must warn new hikers from this. So then some people like Brian see those warnings as patronizing or excessive. He's done his homework on knowing what to carry and went very prepared and found the hike too easy. Then Brian hyperboles those warnings, because it's funny and then it clashes because he does make the forums or all the helpful people here look bad. Then it escalated. Brian, your hike went well, but it could have turned very bad easily, people here and I have been there before and it's why we'd rather others not go through this. But everyone ends up living their own survival and you've managed to start higher up the learning curve thanks to all those warnings. So those warnings are justified. I'm not offering solutions here, but this is what it is. People must be warned. Some get lucky others die or get irreversible damage or generate great SAR expenses every year.

You can continue this discussion on Brian's SpiteHike report.

Last edited by rich99 on Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:32 pm

These trip reports are intended to help others at all levels of experience whether it's planning, gear, or routes etc.
This is not a personal board to hijack and berate other hikers.

Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:33 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2