Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Springlike Moats Traverse N-->S - 2/4/16 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Re: Springlike Moats Traverse N-->S - 2/4/16
2011-12 was the lamest of winters I remember. Virtually no snow, just ice, most of the time, but iirc it was at least cold. This one is low snow and so warm it melts what we do get. :(

The N. Moat/Red Ridge did appear it would be pretty awesome. I seem to recall Joe posting a report on it before he went into Hike-NH retirement. I think I'll check it out in July or August when they berries are out.

Hillsounds are basically disposable to me also. I don't bother to take them on and off repeatedly. They actually grip great on most rock, and while I'm sure it's not good for their lifespan, the spikes are tougher than they are given credit for. For me it's been the chains that break before the spikes get too dull so I have just exchanged them for new ones anyhow. Crampons I try and keep sharp, because I don't use them often but when you need them, well, you need them sharp.

And I was glad Peter had two powerful headlamps with him, as mine started to fade about 1/3 of the way down and my spare was lying in pieces in my car. Bad planning on my part. I don't think it would have been much fun coming down while using the light on my phone.

Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:01 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

madmattd wrote:
The 2011/2012 "winter" was pretty similar as I recall it. Aside from actually being a little colder in the first part of Jan.

Yeah, that was the winter of 34 SSW48 finishes, 10 more than the next most (24, 19, 17 and 17 respectively, to round out the top 5). I'm expecting this winter to produce a new high water mark, or at least slip into second place.

Tim

Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:32 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

bikehikeskifish wrote:
Yeah, that was the winter of 34 SSW48 finishes, 10 more than the next most (24, 19, 17 and 17 respectively, to round out the top 5). I'm expecting this winter to produce a new high water mark, or at least slip into second place.

Especially since there's already been at least a handful of finishers this year, and that's just the ones I know about. I bet there's at least as many I don't know about, plus it's only early Feb!

- signed, 0 peaks this winter ;)

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:46 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Nice one guys! I've only been to South and Middle Moat, but those two alone were spectacular! Definitely an under-rated little piece of land. Also did not expect to meet Beckie and Prema there, which was a pleasant surprise :) . Might have to do North Moat this summer. The traverse is out of the question unless I can get some sucker- er... friend... to go with me!

I hear ya on this winter mirroring the winter of 2011/12. I pretty much hiked in southern NH that whole time, and there wasn't much snow or ice at all. The most shocking hike of that year was when I hiked Mt. Tecumseh in late April, and besides a dusting near the top, there was no snow at all! Weird. Even more so because a year later around that same time, I hiked Mt. Jackson/Webster with my Dad and there was 4+ feet on the ridge. Never swore so much in my life :evil:

NEFF: 31/50
NEHH: 75/100

Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:57 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Awesome hike and love the God Rays pics, thanks for sharing!
I don't see what's wrong with using crampons, are people really judging?
After postholing the whole pemi loop last spring, I don't care anymore and always carry lightweight snowshoes if there's even a little chance I might use them on a long traverse or loop.

Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:00 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

rich99 wrote:
I don't see what's wrong with using crampons, are people really judging?

Just a passing reference to a contentious thread on this forum recently. Don't go there ;)

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:52 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

thegibba wrote:
Peter (thegibba) and I

Hey Pete, do you always talk about yourself in 3rd person? And who is "I"?

I opened the line at 5-2, but I'm now laying 50-1 for anyone who says GraniteGuy wasn't using Gibba's account to post in the aforementioned "contentious thread".

thegibba wrote:
The trail is fairly steep gaining 2100 feet in 1.9 miles, so, it's 20% steeper on average (if you can believe it) than the mighty Mt. Tecumseh Trail.

We keep coming back to these vocabulary lessons. I don't think you quite grasp the concept of "average". Tecumseh = 2200 feet of elevation gain over a 5 mile out and back. Your hike = 3200 feet over a 10 mile traverse.

But I understood your intent in stating those stats. And I'll agree, that anything in the neighborhood of 1000ft/mile is plenty strenuous, so kudos on busting your ass for about 15% of the trip.

thegibba wrote:
easily better than views from half of the 48 IMO even without the elevation beats all trump card

Can't argue with that, but still can't shake the feeling that you'd be able to see a lot more stuff if you were 1000' higher. I guess that's why this hike was Plan B though, right?

Granite Guy wrote:
Kathy wrote:
The little glass bulb is filled with colored liquid that expands and rises as it is heated and contracts and sinks when cold. :wink:
Funny I thought that was about all there was to it, but recently I had heard differently so I wasn't positive. :wink:

That's ok, you'll learn. You just need more experience. :wink: Newton's Law of Cooling

thegibba wrote:
again gave thought to crampons for added bite. Nobody was around to look at us and think bad thoughts about how we looked in them, and getting down safely is part of the game, but we stuck with spikes and with just a minor slip each made it down just fine.

Sorry to hear you've been victimized by the equipment manufacturing cartel. Looks like you're gonna have to pony up the dough for a helmet and some rope before you'll ever get your money's worth from those crampons.

Sounds like you had Brian-on-your-Brain at least some of the time, so I'm honored to have participated.

No hard feelings guys. Looks like a nice hike, I'll give it an 8. But if I'm being honest, the wisecracks in your trip report only get a 4. Keep practicing.

8)

Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:21 pm

Brian Brian Brian. I'm not going to take your hard-earned money from you. It would be far too easy. If you are as bad at reading your fellow players at the card table as you are here you must lose enough of it there. Instead I will offer you a little advice...

Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:05 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Well, GG, if you placed the bet, it would be a little Pete Rose-ish, wouldn't it? Not sure I could take that action even if I wanted to.

Anyway, I just dropped by to deposit my two cents. From reading your trip report (or maybe both of Peter's), it's obvious that you were anxiously begging for me to weigh in. Now I have, but, I'm not sticking around for the pissing contest.

Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:16 pm
Master Mountaineer

BrianL wrote:
Can't argue with that, but still can't shake the feeling that you'd be able to see a lot more stuff if you were 1000' higher.

I think this is where you may part ways with some. I remember you saying that you liked Monadnock because you felt as though you were on top of the world, way higher up than anything else close by. The two guys you enjoy sparring with on this site are a couple I've heard repeat the description of Monadnock as "infinite views of nothing".

I've found that there are two types of people who hike: those who want to go farther and higher and see more, and those that just enjoy being out. So "seeing a lot more stuff" isn't necessarily achieving the highest vantage point, but sometimes, just achieving a different visual perspective.

One of the reasons I love Owl's Head - I enjoy the nice bushwhack through the woods, and the awesome view of the Franc Ridge that you don't get from the surrounding higher mountains.

Some of the best hiking is on the lower mountains, even though they may not necessarily have the best views.

Who needs actions when you got words?

Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:26 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

iagreewithjamie wrote:
I think this is where you may part ways with some.

Only if the "some" you refer to are folks intent on splitting hairs and starting a pissing contest. I said it was a nice hike, and I meant it.

As far as my assertion that higher elevation = more stuff to see, that's just he physics of vision. It's not an opinion over which people can "part ways".

iagreewithjamie wrote:
I remember you saying that you liked Monadnock because you felt as though you were on top of the world,

You're misquoting me just a bit there.

iagreewithjamie wrote:
way higher up than anything else close by.

Prominence is a matter of physics and geology, not opinion.

iagreewithjamie wrote:
The two guys you enjoy sparring with on this site are a couple I've heard repeat the description of Monadnock as "infinite views of nothing".

Well then I guess it's a good thing that Armstrong and Aldron were sent to the moon and not my 'sparring buddies'. I'm guessing they'd be pretty bored

iagreewithjamie wrote:
I've found that there are two types of people who hike: those who want to go farther and higher and see more, and those that just enjoy being out.

I'd say I fall into both of those categories, and probably several more. I think you're being a little glib by only citing two possible sources of hiking motivation.

I'm not arguing that the views from the Moats are great. I can see it in the pictures. I'm simply responding to a wisecrack embedded in the original post that clearly takes a jab at me personally, and my own personal motivations for being outdoors.

Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:51 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

*facepalm*

NEFF: 31/50
NEHH: 75/100

Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:14 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I can surely admit that GG and Gibba are two different people, as I have had the pleasure of meeting them both (at the same time!). Its kind of apparent in their bromance, honestly.

That really is a nice hike and one we have been meaning to revisit soon.

Greg

Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:52 pm

iagreewithjamie wrote:
I think this is where you may part ways with some. I remember you saying that you liked Monadnock because you felt as though you were on top of the world, way higher up than anything else close by. The two guys you enjoy sparring with on this site are a couple I've heard repeat the description of Monadnock as "infinite views of nothing".

I've found that there are two types of people who hike: those who want to go farther and higher and see more, and those that just enjoy being out. So "seeing a lot more stuff" isn't necessarily achieving the highest vantage point, but sometimes, just achieving a different visual perspective.

+1

Seeing "more" in my book is not the same as seeing farther. Give me new or more interesting sights and perspectives any day. But to each their own.

And you nailed my description of Monadnock. Views for days of nothing in particular. I feel similar about Washington's views. It is so high up most things look flat by comparison. Someone around here once said they liked the views of the higher mountains better than the views from the higher mountains. Might have been Grindboy. Whoever it was, I agree.

Even if your definition of "more" is simply how far you can see, there are hundreds of mountains under 4000 feet, like these, that you will see more from than about half the 48, unless by more you mean more trees. In reality actual views trump theoretical views. That's not even debatable.

Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:27 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Granite Guy wrote:
Someone around here once said they liked the views of the higher mountains better than the views from the higher mountains. Might have been Grindboy. Whoever it was, I agree.

'Twas me :)

Tim

Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next