Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 2/4/16 North Twin 
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

2/4/16 North Twin
Took a day off Thursday to hike North Twin with Garry G. The conditions were spring-like....what a difference from a couple of weeks ago when we bailed on a Firewarden's trail hike to Hale due to a late start and bitter cold. The bushwhack/herd path route along Little River had very little snow. We skipped the first two crossings of Little River, and the third crossing was a little tricky because the snow bridges looked unstable. Found a spot where there was mostly bare rocks, some half-submerged, which caused me to get some water in one of my supposedly-waterproof Merrell boots. No big deal, I had extra socks but it was so warm - probably mid-30s - that it didn't cause an issue.

After crossing the stream, we started the long steep climb up to North Twin. This is a steep, relentless climb. We had made the decision to leave the snowshoes behind, and it was a good one....the snow was pretty solid all the way to the summit. There, the mild conditions continued. We had thought there would be enough wind to cause us to have to bundle up but that wasn't the case. It was almost balmy on the summit, but all fogged in so we didn't bother to head over to the lookout.

All in all, a pretty good day, and the first 4K I've done this winter.

Garry downstream looking for a good place to cross the river

Finally found a decent crossing spot

Solidly-packed trail

The exciting summit of North Twin

All the pics: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bcusolito ... 3751185910

Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:31 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Re: 2/4/16 North Twin
It's interesting how variable the conditions over that river can change week-to-week. I did the Twins a week ago Wednesday, and we were able to walk/hop across on well-bridged ice/snow bridges. Looks a little trickier now.

As for trail conditions at the moment - did Moosilauke yesterday, and was surprised that the heavy rains on Wednesday were mostly absorbed by the snowpack. Up high there's much more glaze now than before the rain, and that will likely continue until the mountains get several inches of new snow. My friend wore his microspikes and I wore Hillsound Pros for a bit more bite, but didn't need snowshoes.

Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:17 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

All 7! :D

Too bad about the views. I was on the Moats yesterday, partly chosen to stay below the clouds. Nice views all day and we actually saw some of the socked in higher summits and commented on the poor people up there. Guess that was you. The weather and ground conditions may as well have been April. So far this is the winter that wasn't. I for one hope we get a lot of snow in he mountains, and soon.

Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:42 am
Sovereign Woodsman

RIP Little River giant log :(

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]