Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Spite-Hike on Lafayette and Lincoln 
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Re: Spite-Hike on Lafayette and Lincoln
How do you reconcile this....

thegibba wrote:
You should have expected the cross examination given the flammable nature of your original post.. Im just asking questions.

.....with this.

thegibba wrote:
a fun report to read, I haven't had so many laughs in a while.

My theory.....gibba is two different people.

It seems initially that my trip report was embraced with the sarcasm and humor with which it was intended. However, somewhere along the way, some fight-seeker decided to hone in on the phrase "move or die" which I used to describe the cold conditions on the ridge. I've since admitted it was a poor choice of words, and a more apt phrase would have been "move or be miserable"

Despite that admission, I'm still facing MULTIPLE bold faced accusations claiming that I wasn't even there, and this whole event is a lie.

So who's the one trying to start fights here?

Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:35 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

4 pages....who had the over?

Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:36 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Quote:

You. As you have been since you joined. The title of your report is Spite-Hike. :( :( I just don't get the type of person who gets their jollies from trolling a tiny hiking forum. It's so... silly. We're some people that like to walk in the woods and then chat about said walks. :beer: Again, MODS. Has anyone spoken to Brian? Why is he still posting here? He's broken a number of the rules already, multiple times.

Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:46 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Pirr wrote:
We're some people that like to walk in the woods and then chat about said walks.

Maybe after Easter. Right now the only people allowed out are the supremely experienced mountaineers who made their bones on Tecumseh.

Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:50 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I had the over

Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:50 am
Master Mountaineer

Pirr wrote:
Quote:

You. As you have been since you joined. The title of your report is Spite-Hike. :( :( I just don't get the type of person who gets their jollies from trolling a tiny hiking forum. It's so... silly. We're some people that like to walk in the woods and then chat about said walks. :beer: Again, MODS. Has anyone spoken to Brian? Why is he still posting here? He's broken a number of the rules already, multiple times.

I'm inclined to agree. Everything that has been posted by BrianL or resulted from his posts has been nothing but bottom-of-the-barrel incendiary sludge. In my years coming here, I've not seen topics devolve so quickly, nor have I seen physical threats be made. I do think the quality of this place can go south pretty quick if one of two people like BrianL become regulars.

Who needs actions when you got words?

Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:51 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

iagreewithjamie wrote:
Everything that has been posted by BrianL or resulted from his posts has been nothing but bottom-of-the-barrel incendiary sludge.

I think your problem is Granite Guy and his many disguises. He's the one who started the civics debate about hike safe (which he lost, badly). He's the one who took an obviously sarcastic comment about Tecumseh and turned it into a serious indictment about my hiking abilities. He posed a challenge and asked for this thread. The original post was humorous, albeit with a bit of ribbing back at those who made it sound like winter hiking was a face off against death.

After that, as I said, SOMEONE who has yet to be positively identified, decided to hone in on three little words among the four pages of "sludge" here and turn it into incendiary accusations, two full days after the original post. What do you think "trolling" is????????

And I never physically threatened anyone. I'm merely stating that if you want to call someone a liar, look the man in the eye. Just name the time and place, and I'll be there. Whatever happens after that, is anyone's guess.

Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:00 am
Master Mountaineer

BrianL wrote:

I think your problem is Granite Guy and his many disguises.

Let's see - a guy who's been coming here for years, whom we've all read for years, who posts some of the best pictures on this entire board. The guy whom I've hit up for hiking advice many many MANY times. That guy is my problem? Granite Guy has some of the most useful trip reports of anyone here, and is a good contributor.

You've been encouraged and even pleaded with by many members of this group to get over whatever hair you got across your ass in a previous thread, and play nicely with others. Yet, your trip report is filled with "In your face jackass" type of comments against Granite Guy. Your entire post had a flippancy about it.

You admit that you recognize many here don't care for you, yet you persist in being an ass. The only thing left to deduce is that Pirr is right, and your sole reason in being here is to troll people. You've hijacked this board and are using it to fuel your stupid little machismo "big man show" anti-Granite Guy campaign. It's getting rather old. Is this really what we should expect from every single one of your posts?

Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:12 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Jamie, Pirr, anyone else here who thinks that I'm the 'troll'.....here's a lesson for you.

This is what trolling looks like.

thegibba wrote:
Sounds like you are admitting that you have to answer "no" to question number one on the sign.
how can you [disagree]?

thegibba wrote:
I still didn't see your gear list including a light source.

thegibba wrote:
I'm just responding with equal and opposite force.

thegibba wrote:
For this hike. Let's just put an asterisk there.

thegibba wrote:
Either you are a pansy.....

thegibba wrote:
You cowered in defeat. Go kick rocks..

thegibba wrote:
I'm still laughing... At you.

thegibba wrote:
So you didn't actually cross the ridge?

thegibba wrote:
It just seems odd to me that someone who brought a dedicated camera up there didn't take a single pic of the ridge while being on it.

Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:22 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Either someone is a liar, or has multiple personalities.

thegibba wrote:
I had the over/under on this thread(before locked) at three pages. I'm not sure we will make it.

after 4 pages.....
thegibba wrote:
I had the over

Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:00 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Yeah I was concerned we weren't going to make it past 3. Im not a gambling man generally. Perhaps my use wasn't correct.

Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:06 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

thegibba wrote:
Yeah I was concerned we weren't going to make it past 3. Im not a gambling man generally. Perhaps my use wasn't correct.

Well I'm not a mountain man generally. Perhaps my use of "move or die" was confused with "move or be pretty cold". Perhaps you can accept that now.

If you're not trolling, why did those three words upset you so much? Why hone in on them and throw them in my face as if to say "SEE!! Winter hiking is a a death-defying epic"

If you still need clarification...

Yes - my first winter hike required some cursory preparation, and a modicum of thought when it came to my layering schemes.
No - It was never exceedingly difficult. And certainly nothing experienced on Franconia Ridge was challenging enough to deter a first time winter hiker, provided said first-timer has google and good shoes.

Next time you're in the neighborhood, stop by the spa at the Omni Mt Washington and pick me up. I'm ready to tackle that Huntington Ravine that's been giving you nightmares.

Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:23 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

BrianL wrote:
4 pages....who had the over?

Me too, or is just me twice?? 8)

I've stayed out of this, and will continue to, at least under my own name :wink: but I knew you'd take issue with just about anyone for any reason if it couldn't be me.

But really, what did you expect? Your whole schtick is how easy winter hiking is. How over exaggerated everyone posts are and then in your own post you said just once you'd like to read a report that says how it's ten degrees out. Just cold. Lots of fun. Where is everyone? And you follow it up (on a 30+ degree day. Yes I can see your pics of the thermometer at the hut too) it was move or die time! :roll: These are trip reports. They are supposed to be fun and/or informative to read. Generate honest, civil discussion. Show people something they might be interested in they may have overlooked. Just show some pretty pictures. Whatever. And yes, sometimes things can be exaggerated. Sometimes people are more/less comfortable in certain conditions than others and it sounds that way. It happens. If you want a straight, boring, to the point version go read the trail conditions section of TrailsNH or NewEnglandTrailConditions etc.

Continue to bait and troll. My ego tells me it's me you are really trying to get into it with. If so stop mucking up the boards and PM me. I'm happy to discuss whatever you like. I'm not going down that road again with you on the public space. Sorry you didn't enjoy that hike more. If you don't give the Franconia Ridge at least a 9 hiking isn't the hobby for you. Now, if you don't want to be called a liar again think about being a man of your word...

BrianL wrote:
so you won't find me posting very much, if at all, anymore.

Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:56 am

Let's keep things civil

Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:14 pm
Master Mountaineer

Granite Guy wrote:
And yes, sometimes things can be exaggerated. Sometimes people are more/less comfortable in certain conditions than others and it sounds that way. It happens.

I read in the Gardner newspaper that three Fitchburg State students were rescued a couple of days ago on Mt Watatic. Yes... Watatic. You read that right. They got to the top OK, but couldn't find the way back down... despite there being a road that goes to the top, despite there being multiple trails (and 4 ski slopes) that end at the summit, and despite the fact that its open woods all the way down to the road. Lost. Stranded. Needed rescue.

I'd give anything to read that trip report... of Mt Watatic.

Just echoing, for no reason at all, that all situations are subjective.

Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next