Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Spite-Hike on Lafayette and Lincoln 
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Re: Spite-Hike on Lafayette and Lincoln
thegibba wrote:
how can you [disagree] ?

C'mon man, are you trolling?

The sign asks, do I have proper food, clothing, water, and food?

I wore waterproof, insulated boots, with two pairs of wool socks. On my legs, I wore synthetic fiber, moisture-wicking base-layer, covered by a thick fleece pant. On top, I started with a similar base-layer. Actually I brought two, and changed into the fresh, non-sweaty, one at the hut. Over that I wore a medium fleece jacket, and over that I wore a Columbia, omni-heat, windproof shell. Balaclava, liner gloves, mittens, and ski goggles rounded out the ensemble.

In that get up, I was able to move comfortably, regulate my sweat production, and remain warm. However, if I had stopped moving, and gotten colder, I could have easily addressed the situation with my remaining gear. I had extra clothes, an extra fleece layer, an extra down layer, extra socks, insulated ski pants, all stuffed into a compression sack at the bottom of my bag. I also had an emergency tent and sleeping bag in case things got really hairy. I had water, gatorade, and about 2000 calories worth clif bars, energy gels, stinger wafers, cheese, nuts, and the world's most perfect food...York Peppermint Patties.

I'm not saying it would have been fun, but if I had to live up there overnight, I think I would have survived.

I guess I could have lingered at the summit a little longer if I had donned all of that extra stuff, but I made a command decision to leave it conveniently, and neatly packed away in my backpack. I would have liked to have had a little picnic above treeline, but decided it would be a lot easier to just wolf down half the sandwich, get across the ridge, and finish the other half in the shelter of the trees.

If that's negligence, I quit.

Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:42 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

If you are carrying everything and the kitchen sink. How was it "move or die"?

I still didn't see your gear list including a light source. Or was this done out of spite?

[color=#FF00FF]C'mon man, are you trolling? /color]

Not anymore than you. Toughen up cupcake! There are no pedicures and spas here.

Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:06 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

ooops, dupilicated post, sorry

Last edited by BrianL on Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:23 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

BrianL wrote:
thegibba wrote:
If you are carrying everything and the kitchen sink. How was it "move or die"?

Holy shiitake mushrooms. Ok, ok, touche!! It wasn't "move or die". It was move, die, or spend a half hour unpacking, stripping, changing, stripping again, and then re-packing just to enjoy your sandwich for an extra 10 minutes. Sheesh

thegibba wrote:
I still didn't see your gear list including a light source. Or was this done out of spite?

Well my primary light source was the sun. Someone told me that real men get up early, so I set my alarm for 4 am, and I was on the trail before 7. If that didn't work out, I had a headlamp, with fresh batteries, and spare batteries. I also had a regular hand held flashlight, also with fresh batteries. I had a new Bic lighter, as well as one of those scrap-y sparkle-y fire-starter-y thingies. So if all else failed, I could start a forest fire to light my path down.

Just to save some back and forth, the rest of my gear included hillsound trail crampons, snow shoes, map, compass, 2 whistles, camera, sunglasses, music player, cell phone, first aid kit, green trash bag, and a wad of dryer lint and a backpack to carry it all in.

I think I might be missing one or two of the ten essentials, but I've never used sunblock or chapstick in my life, I'm not about to start now. Did I miss anything else?

thegibba wrote:
Toughen up cupcake! There are no pedicures and spas here.

Not yet anyway. Vote Brian 2032

Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:26 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Did I miss anything else?

yeah, anyone elses point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTvu1Yr3Ohk

Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:12 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

thegibba wrote:
Did I miss anything else?
yeah, anyone elses point

Thought this was a trip report, not a debate.

What exactly IS your point Gibba? What fact, argument, or piece of information would you like to impart upon me at this juncture of the conversation? I'll keep this going as long as you want, but I'm not sure what you're getting at. Nitpicking my posts looking for a reference to a flashlight and then calling me to the carpet to make me prove that I had one is not a very entertaining discourse. If you HAVE a point....make it now please.

I think MY point has been made. You don't need to be a professional sherpa to hump it up a big hill in some iffy weather. Common sense, and transformers references, are all you really need to know.

Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:27 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Move or die, or put some mittens on. Which is it? Your statements contradict each other. You hiked the same day someone else who was of retirement age hung around a 4k summit for an hour in a sweater and complained there wasn't a KFC and ducked behind rocks from a zephyr.

So what was it? Move or die or put some mittens on?

Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:46 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

You're just being an a-hole now.

I already admitted that you caught me in a little paradox of semantics. I want you to be able to sleep comfortably tonight, so let me clarify it for you again, a second time.....

There were actually three choices. Move, die, or put on extra clothes. Putting on extra clothes was more of a logistical chore than it was worth just to finish a sandwich at maximum elevation.

Does this really fascinate you that much?

PS - I never advocated a KFC. I doubt the restroom facilities at the hut could handle the resulting lava-sh-ts.

Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:55 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

[color=#FF00FFYou're just being an a-hole now.[/color]

I'm just responding with equal and opposite force. I havent needed anything more. Now we add the factor of putting on more clothes. Maximum elevation? Pffft. For this hike. Let's just put an asterisk there. This "winter" has been a joke. This isn't the only paradox you have been caught in. Take a look at the last thread that has been locked. I had the over/under on this thread(before locked) at three pages. I'm not sure we will make it.

You still haven't answered the question. Is it move or die , or just another day in the hills? But but but but doesn't cut it here sweet cheeks. Either you are a pansy and had to take cover or stood up like a man and gave mother nature the signal that you are number one with a five dollar footlong! What say you?

Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:25 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

For any post involving the troll BrianL, this is must viewing.

Argument

Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:48 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

JustJoe wrote:
For any post involving the troll BrianL, this is must viewing.

Argument

The ad that played for me was perfect. It was the GEICO o e with Dora the explorer and the south pole.

Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:51 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

thegibba wrote:
[color=#FF00FFYou're just being an a-hole now.[/color]

I'm just responding with equal and opposite force. I havent needed anything more. Now we add the factor of putting on more clothes. Maximum elevation? Pffft. For this hike. Let's just put an asterisk there. This "winter" has been a joke. This isn't the only paradox you have been caught in. Take a look at the last thread that has been locked. I had the over/under on this thread(before locked) at three pages. I'm not sure we will make it.

You still haven't answered the question. Is it move or die , or just another day in the hills? But but but but doesn't cut it here sweet cheeks. Either you are a pansy and had to take cover or stood up like a man and gave mother nature the signal that you are number one with a five dollar footlong! What say you?

Force? I thought it was the funniest trip report you've read in a long time? Gotchya bitch! Now this round of "semantics trap" ends in a draw.

I came, I saw, I ate a sandwich. That's all that needs to be said

Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:03 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

You came. You saw. You practically froze. You may have had a sammich. You cowered in defeat. Go kick rocks.

Edit: hope you had a good hike in spite of what you found. I'm still laughing... At you.

Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:22 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Practically froze? Cowered in defeat? Well one good thing that came out of this is that you learned how to use hyperbole.

I don't really know where this animosity is coming from. There are two ways to deal with cold. You can get your body moving, or you can put on more clothes. I don't see how choosing one over the other makes me a pussy.

Since there seems to be some gambling in relation to this thread, I'll be taking bets that say Granite guy is using gibbas account to post. I'll put the first money down at 5 to 2. Anyone want to offer me better odds than that?

Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:35 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Time to fold buddy. Or should I say "captain". You can't be any good at poker. The farm is sold. This ship has sailed and this thread is dead.

Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next