Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Spite-Hike on Lafayette and Lincoln 
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Spite-Hike on Lafayette and Lincoln
If you're not trolling, why did those three words upset you so much?

Should be obvious. I needed to get to page 4.

Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:17 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

I see,

I'll let you have "reverse point-shaving" instead of "trolling"....

...if you'll let me have "moving to stay warm" instead of "cowering in defeat"

Deal?

As for you Granite Guy....maybe your ego is telling you that I'm eager to tangle with you, but that's not the case. Shut your ego down for a minute and check with your memory. Remember...YOU specifically asked for this trip report?

Here's the pic of the thermometer that you saw when combing through my photobucket for pics that aren't in the original trip report (anyone else think that's weird?)

I'm not exactly sure how this reads, but using the bottom of the blue lines, Min temp was -6 and max temp was 32. That puts the average in the low teens. If you use the top of the blue lines, temps ranged from -28 to 54, which also puts average temps around 13.

That's from the thermometer in back of the hut, which wasn't exactly taking the brunt of the wind. From there, I went another 1000 feet up, in diminishing sunshine and increasing winds. For Mr. Granite to suggest that it was a balmy day in the 30's is just ridiculous.

EDIT: Looking at it more, it looks like maybe the silver lines could be the current temps? I'd believe it was 32 when I got to the hut. And from there, I added more wind, more elevation, and subtracted sunshine. So....it was winter.

Furthermore, GG, YOU picked this hike, and YOU picked this day. You're calling me out because the weather was too nice??

As for Franconia Notch only getting a 7 and not a 9, that's my opinion. As I mentioned, I'm kind of a summit junkie, and carrying snowshoes strapped to my pack instead of a beach chair detracted a bit from the experience. Cloudy skies and an obscuring haze in the air made the views just iffy in my book. There were a lot of people on the trail, and as I mentioned before, not all of them were nice. As I said, solitude is one of the reasons I hike. Finally, the trip lost a few points because of stuff like this.....

Maybe that's just to be expected two weekends before primary in NH, so I guess that's not Franconia Notch's fault. But I feel that the trip didn't have the same feeling of "escape" that many of my other hikes had. Your mileage may vary.

EDIT: USE OF THE ABOVE PICTURE DOES NOT INDICATE MY ENDORSEMENT OF ANY PARTICULAR PARTY OR CANDIDATE

Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:06 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

The thermometer isn't affected by wind.

Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:22 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

thegibba wrote:
The thermometer isn't affected by wind.

Good lesson, thanks for that bit of detail, so I guess it doesn't matter which side of the hut it was on. My bad.

But living tissue IS affected by the wind, right?

Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:34 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

A certain helmet-less mountaineer once showed me this resource for gather historical white mountain weather data.

https://www.mountwashington.org/uploads/forms/2016/01.pdf

January 31st.
Average Temp-26
Average Wind-50mph

Then we plug that data into this chart

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/winter/windchill.shtml

And the average wind-chill temp, as experienced by a living being, and not a thermometer, was 4 degrees F. And that was the average. If any point in the day felt like 20, it means there was a corresponding moment that felt like -12.

Someone, I'm really not sure who, mentioned that this hike gets an "asterisk" next to it on my record of winter 4k hikes.

Can you please, define, in clear and definitive detail, what kind of conditions would result in a non-asterisk hike?

Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:43 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Didn't you solve the temp issue by harnessing the power of mittens? And diving behind rocks? Yeah I'll take the asterisk away. I'll give you that.

Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:08 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

thegibba wrote:
Didn't you solve the temp issue by harnessing the power of mittens? And diving behind rocks?

Yeah, I did. Did you learn something from that experience? If so, you're welcome.

Or, if you already knew that clothing was the answer to coldness, then why all this hubbub about how tough winter is? It's just summer hiking + mittens, agreed?

thegibba wrote:
Yeah I'll take the asterisk away. I'll give you that.

Gee thanks :roll:

Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:18 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Haven't been frequenting the board for a while...wow. At first I wanted to like BrianL because this post was pretty hilarious. But I know most of the people on this board, some personally, most just online, and there must be a good reason for all this animosity towards BrianL. So off to the 'search' function I went.

So, here's what my 20 minutes of forum research has turned up. I think this is where it went bad:

From BrianL in the 'Trip suggestions for for winter summit' post:
OP - Seems folks here have forgotten what it's like to be a noob. When you're a jaded, grizzly, seasoned mountaineer, it's easy to point the least experienced to the safest spots and feel like you're doing the right thing. But your FIRST, should be something fun, fulfilling, satisfying, and motivating you to continue and do more.

I think this is where you lost people, Brian. You're probably a nice guy and probably never talk like this in person. But when you come onto a forum as a new member, and post like that, well, it just doesn't come off well. You were probably just trying to be funny/sarcastic. I get it. But honestly, I think that's when things took a bad turn for you on this board. Just my opinion.

Someone once told me many years ago that I had an "aggressive online persona", because I used to post like this. I took it to heart and decided from then on that I'd only post things online that I'd be willing to say to people in person. Might be something to think about....I doubt you would walk up to a group of people discussing winter hiking, and start talking to them like this. If your intent is to piss people off, don't be surprised when you're successful and they act pissed off.

Peace.

Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:26 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

BobC wrote:
Haven't been frequenting the board for a while...wow. At first I wanted to like BrianL because this post was pretty hilarious.

Yeah, it was, wasn't it? Any I think many folks still think it is. As I said in the OP, if anything I've said offends you, then you're part of the problem.

But I know most of the people on this board, some personally, most just online, and there must be a good reason for all this animosity towards BrianL. So off to the 'search' function I went.

So, here's what my 20 minutes of forum research has turned up. I think this is where it went bad:

From BrianL in the 'Trip suggestions for for winter summit' post:
OP - Seems folks here have forgotten what it's like to be a noob. When you're a jaded, grizzly, seasoned mountaineer, it's easy to point the least experienced to the safest spots and feel like you're doing the right thing. But your FIRST, should be something fun, fulfilling, satisfying, and motivating you to continue and do more.

I think this is where you lost people, Brian.

I'm not trying to *find* people.

You're probably a nice guy

I am

and probably never talk like this in person.

You're the third or fourth person to make that assertion. Why do you say that? Have you met me? I assure you I am just as colorful in person.

I passed a group on their way up Lafayette as I was heading towards Lincoln on the ridge. We exchanged simple pleasantries and went on our way. I met he same group at the bridge where the two paths converge and return to the parking lot. One of them remarked "that's the guy we saw on Lafayette" I didn't hear exactly what they said so I asked what they were talking about

Group member: Oh we were just saying we saw you before
Me: Oh, did I look good?
Group member: yeah, we were all just waiting for you to get back
Me: Well good, so where's my drink?
Group member: *poop*, we forgot it
Me: Well you all friggen suck at this!

Sarcastic surly-ness is pretty much my default, online and in person.

But when you come onto a forum as a new member, and post like that, well, it just doesn't come off well.

Bob, how do you think it comes off when a new member asks for a recommendation for his initial winter 4k, and gets told "Winter and 4k's are too tough, you should go to Boulder Loop or Mt Major instead"

Do you think that the community as a whole is being served? Or do you think some "vets" are just stroking their own egos?

You were probably just trying to be funny/sarcastic.

I was, with a glimmer of 'chill the f out folks, it's just snow'

I get it.

Good, it was obvious. Whoever doesn't "get it" is either supremely stupid, or hellbent on being a troll

But honestly, I think that's when things took a bad turn for you on this board. Just my opinion.

Someone once told me many years ago that I had an "aggressive online persona", because I used to post like this. I took it to heart and decided from then on that I'd only post things online that I'd be willing to say to people in person.

I haven't said ANYTHING I wouldn't say in person. I swear on my children's souls that is the case. I'm not sure other folks in this thread can say the same thing.

Tell me Bob, what do you think of a person who reads a trip reports and then posts something along the lines of "You liar, I didn't see enough pictures, I don't think you really went there" I'd like to see Gibba say that to me in person.

Might be something to think about....I doubt you would walk up to a group of people discussing winter hiking, and start talking to them like this.

If there was a newbie in that group and he was having his aspirations cut down by folks telling him that he's not good enough, and that it's too hard for rookies....and I decided to interject, you can bet I'd be aggressively putting down the folks who say "you dont know how to wear a jacket right until you've been to Tecumseh"

If your intent is to piss people off, don't be surprised when you're successful and they act pissed off.

My intent was to find the truth about winter hiking, and I succeeded.

Before this thread, *some people* were moping around this board talking about how it's dead and uninteresting. That's obviously changed, and it's been done mostly without screaming in all caps, unnecessary name calling, or too much unwarranted aggression. None of us have been perfect, but the debate hasn't turned *too* ugly (yet).

I gotta run, but think about this. Bill O'Reilly has the #1 cable news show, and has been in that spot for almost two full decades. Do you think that's because he has innovative and thought-provoking political views that the majority of folks agree with? Or is it because he does a superb job of bringing on people who will debate him vigorously on the issues, resulting in an entertain, though passionate, exchange of ideas.

Hiking is one of my current passions right now. I'm learning, growing, and challenging myself more and more. But I'm not finding anything that can't be done by almost anyone with the "want to". So when a hiking community starts handing out information that DETERS folks from taking on new challenges and developing their own passions....I will stand up to that. Even if I must do it alone.

Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:52 pm

You're certainly "colorful", Brian - but you might want to try switching to decaf...or just being less of an a-hole. Yes, I'd say that to you in person. :D

Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:02 pm

BobC wrote:
You're certainly "colorful", Brian - but you might want to try switching to decaf...or just being less of an a-hole. Yes, I'd say that to you in person. :D

I believe this song best conveys what you are trying to say. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrugYB7dPOA

Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:55 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

BobC wrote:

Someone once told me many years ago that I had an "aggressive online persona", because I used to post like this. I took it to heart and decided from then on that I'd only post things online that I'd be willing to say to people in person. Might be something to think about....I doubt you would walk up to a group of people discussing winter hiking, and start talking to them like this. If your intent is to piss people off, don't be surprised when you're successful and they act pissed off.

Peace.

Well said BobC and thanks for posting.

Somewhat similarly, I have been described as someone with a heart of gold but an "acid tongue." It took me a while to realize that my online posts were not received in the same manner as my face-to-face comments especially when tinged with a bit of sarcasm. Things which I might have thought were witty in person could easily sound prickish in writing without the twinkle in the eye and the wry smile to accompany said comment. Like you, I am now much more careful that my comments online are not misinterpreted.

HikeNH has always been a pretty positive board and I like the niche it has. I appreciate the local, small NH trail info posted here. Lots of good info on less well known hikes. Similarly, VFTT has not had much negativity in quite some time and no longer has the feel of vitriol it did for a little while, even if that reputation still remains somewhat.

We're all in this together folks. We all love to hike and love the mountains.

Now lets hope some of this snow moves north.

:)

Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5