Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 A Sub-4K Kinda Day 
Sovereign Woodsman

A Sub-4K Kinda Day
The cold germs I had worked so hard to avoid finally broke through my defenses. About 10:30 Thursday night - WHAM! - they hit me. Hard. I was bummed b/c this was the first weekend in many that I was free to hike either or both days. Argggghhhh....Saturday I was in no shape to hike any further than the kitchen, which I did several times to keep the tea coming. Early bed time Saturday night with the hope of having company Sunday morning from my two best hiking buds. Alas. Cathie tweaked her back so she bailed. Down to me and Gillian, who was rehabbing a tweaked back herself.

It was left to me to determine the location. So, I thought to myself: Hmmmmmmm......WWG2D (What Would Granite Guy Do?) HA. Not sure of the answer, but I knew what Granite Guy would not do. :wink: So, a sub-4K it was.

We headed for Hedgehog. Stellar hike. Excellent company. Great conversation. Nice trail. About all I could handle with the reduced lung capacity but it's all good. Saw about a dozen others all day, 7 or so from UNH. We didn't do the loop, just headed past Allen's Ledge to the summit. Had it to ourselves for our duration there, about 45 mins or so. Easy hike out. Spikes almost from the start.

Not much snow

But the ice was cool. We spent about 20 mins putzing around off-trail checking out the frozen water.

Image Image

With the great conversation we seemed to hit the jct in no time. Unfortunately, some chuckle-head decided to make some corrections to the new sign. Seriously?? WTH?! Did my best to maintain integrity...

Love this stretch, despite the lack of snow

Going up...

Idiots didn't get to this one

Five shades of gray...

Gillian breaking through to the ledges

From the lower ledges

Little bit 'o ice on the trail

Summit Sunlight

Parting shot

Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:55 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Re: A Sub-4K Kinda Day
Kathy wrote:
So, I thought to myself: Hmmmmmmm......WWG2D (What Would Granite Guy Do?) HA. Not sure of the answer, but I knew what Granite Guy would not do. :wink: So, a sub-4K it was.

We headed for Hedgehog. Stellar hike. Excellent company. Great conversation. Nice trail.

What more could you ask for in a hike?! Although, asking what WWGGD might not always be your best course of action. Just sayin'. :wink:

Am I the only one who sees the Man in the Moon face to face with a school of angel fish above the happy sunshine in this one?? :D

Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]