Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Mt. Crescent 
Sovereign Woodsman

Mt. Crescent
Saturday I went on line and looked at a few forecasts and somehow came up with the idea that it would be cloudy and would be getting windier in the afternoon. Wind chills not to my liking were mentioned as well. And my granddaughters were here a little late (meaning no early early early starts the next day). Based on that, we looked for something not too lengthy. Ironically I chose a not so long hike, but with a long drive (Lawrence to Randolph). But it was worth it.

The drive itself wasn't so bad. Once you get past the Lakes region on 93N the scenery is good, especially with all the snow on the peaks now. It was suggested several times that we go up there (meaning anything from Franconia Ridge to Mt. Washington and so on), but I'm not ready for that. We got to Randolph Hill Road and then suggestions were made concerning the several houses for sale (the ones with the views of the Northern Presidentials). My finances aren't ready for that :( .

We followed the road till its end, where the Randolph Mountain Club (along with other generous folks) has provided a new trail head and great parking lot. Mount Crescent Trail actually starts further down the road, there is a new trail (and that's its name "New Trail") that leads you up from the parking lot to the trail (reminds me of the Crawford Connector and the Crawford Path). We put on our snow shoes and off we went.

Snow wasn't that deep, but I didn't want to need them and not have them, nor did I want to keep bitching every time they fell off my pack :lol: :lol: :lol: . It was in the mid 20s, hardly any wind, and sunny (oh gee, if I had known THAT we could have gotten up early and went on a big hike above treeline). But I was glad we went to Mt. Crescent, it was a nice half day hike and I learned a few things.

1. I'm better at dealing with cold than I realized. I wore my fleece jacket and a hat and gloves and was not cold at all (in fact, I was wearing the same get up at work, damn electrical system at the post office is not working where the blowers are supposed to send heat, it's been in the low 50s there since last Monday). I even slipped and got covered in snow, got dumped on by evergreens, and peed once and I was fine. 2. Dealing with "failure." You'll read about this in another minute.

The Mt. Crescent Trail leveled off and went through some nice woods. You could see through the trees at this point, but soon we came to more evergreens. Since it had snowed the day before, they were covered. They were so beautiful that I didn't even notice that much when I'd get some of their bounty on the back of my neck! We came to an area called Castleview Loop. We decided if we had time we would check it out on the way back. Due to slippery areas and a few rocky areas we were going slower than my already slow pace.

Then we came to the small loop that finally takes you up to the summit. We went clockwise; according to everyone's favorite tyvek map this section had a view (stars mark views) and it was broken out as well. And here is where the fun started. This section is rather steep and there were a few spots where it was difficult for me to get a grip. I was fortunate enough to find a branch or a stump to hang on to and pull myself up, but my luck ran out 20 feet from the summit. Prema was up already. I yelled to her, she yelled suggestions back but it just would not work. And I felt like an idiot for not bringing the Hillsounds, but then again there wasn't really anything for them to dig into. The trees on either side were too thick for me to bushwhack (North Tri Slide it ain't!). So I said "Enjoy the views and then come down." By this time it was no longer sunny and her pictures were monochromatic greys and whites thst made me think of Ansel Adams or GG or whoever else posts classy black and white photos on this forum (insert teasing here - Beckie still hasn't figured it out :oops: ).

The trip down was nothing but butt sliding. Not intentionally, because I am leary of creating a luge for future hikers. But it just was not an easy descent. At one point I slid and ended up around a stump in such a way that I thanked God I wasn't a guy. And then, almost back at the car, I slipped and landed my tailbone on a jagged stump (I'm sitting on a donut as I write this!).

Despite being turned away 20 feet from the great views of King Ravine and other lovely places, I had a great day. Sure it was disappointing, but I've read a few trail reports that this area has great wildflowers, so I was planning to come back anyway. Our own Hardcore has written about and Joe Keys had a great video. I'll be back!

Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:09 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Mt. Crescent
Beckie and Prema wrote:
By this time it was no longer sunny and her pictures were monochromatic greys and whites thst made me think of Ansel Adams or GG or whoever else posts classy black and white photos on this forum (insert teasing here - Beckie still hasn't figured it out :oops: ).

And where are said monochromatic pics? We'll be the judge(s) of the quality. You're biased.

Beckie and Prema wrote:
At one point I slid and ended up around a stump in such a way that I thanked God I wasn't a guy.

HA HA HA HA HA HA. Excellent visual. I laughed out loud at this! :lol:
Beckie and Prema wrote:
And then, almost back at the car, I slipped and landed my tailbone on a jagged stump (I'm sitting on a donut as I write this!).

Not laughing at this though. :( Bummer. I know how that hurts!

Good on you for getting out. I still have a love/hate (and WAY leaning toward hate) relationship with my snowshoes. I have a nice hot spot/blister from about a mile and a half's use of them on Sunday.

Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:25 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

From the looks of your pictures it should be nothing but love for that trip. You had a great day!

Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:27 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Trees snow dusting your head and shoulders is a wonderful feeling. :) Saturday was sunny, afternoon weather and it sounds like Crescent will be something to check out. Another peak I've not heard of!

I'm still looking forward to all this sledding that people seem to do on trails. ^.^ It sounds like a much faster way to get down. Without the bruised bums. :( Sorry you got hurt.

Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:15 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Bummer about the meeting with the stump. This sounds like a nice hike and I remember that scramble from Joey's video. It looked like it could be tricky in winter for sure.

Beckie and Prema wrote:
This section is rather steep and there were a few spots where it was difficult for me to get a grip....I felt like an idiot for not bringing the Hillsounds, but then again there wasn't really anything for them to dig into.

I find Hillsounds and crampons actually grip better on bare rock than just boots. Both can be used for mixed ice/rock climbing just fine. In Acadia last week we left them hillsounds on much of the time even on bare rock. The metal is harder to wear down than it gets credit for. It will of course wear them out faster, but i'd rather come home with me in good shape and my gear needing replacement of fixing than the other way around! :D

Beckie and Prema wrote:
By this time it was no longer sunny and her pictures were monochromatic greys and whites thst made me think of Ansel Adams or GG or whoever else posts classy black and white photos on this forum (insert teasing here - Beckie still hasn't figured it out :oops: ).

New Years resolution for Becky, figure out how to post pictures!! :wink:

Sunday was a good day for monochromatic up north without even trying. We took the girls on a small snowshoeing trip to the Basin so my 2 year old could make it on her own. Since this is probably one of those little treks I won't post on (although I may if I get bored) here's a few pics to give your report that B&W feel. :D

Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:23 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Shame about the traction problems. A reason to go back!

I almost went to Mt. Crescent once last winter, but I decided to go to Old Speck instead. Someday...

NEFF: 31/50
NEHH: 75/100

Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]