Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Equinox Mountain, VT- 1/17/2016 
Sovereign Woodsman

Equinox Mountain, VT- 1/17/2016
I decided to spend my Sunday in southern VT with the intention of knocking off one of the New England 50 Finest (and 100 Highest) peaks. Equinox's 3,000+ foot prominence drew me to it, and at around 10:15 AM, I pulled into the parking area off W Union St. in Manchester. After gearing and locking up, I hit the trail around 10:35 AM.

The trail started off on an old woods road at an easy grade, with icy frozen granular footing. After the last trail junction, the grade picked up significantly, and would stay moderately steep almost all the way to the top with little reprieve. About halfway up, the trail forked. A spring was off to the left, but I kept right, after which the trail corridor narrowed to a regular single track path. This part of the trail has potential for excellent glissading, but I didn't do much of it due to relatively thin snow cover. Near the top, the trail's grade eased a bit as I passed the spurs to Lookout Rock. Eventually I emerged on the summit at 12:05 PM, 3.15 miles and 1.5 hours after starting.

The summit is the upper terminus of Summit Drive, a seasonal car toll road. There is also a visitor center on the top, which is owned by Carthusian monks. As for the views: The sky was incredibly overcast, but the summit was not socked in. The view was actually pretty good! The 'Daks and the Whites were visible, as were Mts. Greylock, Ellen/Abraham, Stratton, Ascutney, Dorset, Grass, Berlin, and Killington. About 10 or so min. after I got there, several more groups summitted, including a group of veteran VFTT members, whom I talked with for a good 15-20 min. I started back down around 12:45 PM, and leapfrogged the group most of the way down (with some buttsledding thrown in the mix), eventually walking the last 1/3 of a mile or so with them. Got back to the TH around 1:40 PM.

IMO, this day was a success. I had some trouble finding the trailhead at first (GPS couldn't find W Union St, so I had to find it myself), but from there, everything went right. Good. challenging hike, great views, fun conversation, and #27 on the 50 Finest! Oh yea, and #69 on the 100 Highest :) . Might also knock off a few more 50 Finest peaks in VT this winter. Dorset Peak, Mt. Putnam, and possibly Signal Mountain are high priority. Roundtrip distance for this one was 6.3 miles with 2,800 ft. of gain.

Here's the video recap: https://youtu.be/MHhNMDNQRSc

NEFF: 31/50
NEHH: 75/100

Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:31 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Equinox Mountain, VT- 1/17/2016
Vermont is cool like that for seeing multiple ranges across multiple states. Im impressed that you could see them considering the cloud deck. Those long wheelchair ramp trails so get to you after a while. Especially if you are carrying dull winter gear.

What's up with the goggles? It didn't seem like it was windy up there. Were they just to help keep down the glare? I know when it's cloudy its just as bad for the eyes (if not worse) than a clear sunny day. One of the worst sunburns I've ever had was a day at the beach in the fog)

Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:33 am
Sovereign Woodsman

thegibba wrote:
Vermont is cool like that for seeing multiple ranges across multiple states. Im impressed that you could see them considering the cloud deck. Those long wheelchair ramp trails so get to you after a while. Especially if you are carrying dull winter gear.

What's up with the goggles? It didn't seem like it was windy up there. Were they just to help keep down the glare? I know when it's cloudy its just as bad for the eyes (if not worse) than a clear sunny day. One of the worst sunburns I've ever had was a day at the beach in the fog)

Snowblindness, man. The worst! Doesn't help when the summit area is one massive flat sheet of reflective white :( .

Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:59 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

hiker0200 wrote:
thegibba wrote:

Snowblindness, man. The worst! Doesn't help when the summit area is one massive flat sheet of reflective white :( .

Snow blinding is the the worst. For me everything turns yellowish and you cant see much. The after effects suck also. I forgot my sun glasses when hiking in the belknaps. I ended up burning my eyes. for a few days after it felt like my eyelids were made out of 300 grit sandpaper. My (now) fiance works for Lenscrafters so i have plenty of options. I also got a stern talking to! (well deserved) My eyes are medically fine, however they are sensitive to bright lights. So Goggle on! Or get a badassed set of Oakleys. I'm sure help can be found 8)

Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:55 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

I almost went here a few weeks ago but the weather was crappy. With views that expansive it would really be a waste to go when you can't see anything. Glad the cloud deck was high enough for you to get a good look around. Are those other VT peaks you listed all bushwhacks? That should make for some interesting videos if they are. I'd almost feel more comfortable bushwhacking in the winter myself. More work, but easy to follow tracks back out if all else fails.

Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:07 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Granite Guy wrote:
I almost went here a few weeks ago but the weather was crappy. With views that expansive it would really be a waste to go when you can't see anything. Glad the cloud deck was high enough for you to get a good look around.

Definitely go on a clear day. The view is excellent, and had that day been totally clear, it would be much more expansive.

Quote:
Are those other VT peaks you listed all bushwhacks? That should make for some interesting videos if they are. I'd almost feel more comfortable bushwhacking in the winter myself. More work, but easy to follow tracks back out if all else fails.

Dorset has no official trail, but there are woods roads and ATV trails that lead to the top. Putnam is trailed (but no view). As far as the others I have left, it's about 50/50 with bushwhacking vs. trails. I know Signal and Grass Mtns are bushwhacks. The rest, I gotta do more research.

Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]