Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Kicking Off Acadia's 100th Year!! - 1/14/16 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Re: Kicking Off Acadia's 100th Year!! - 1/14/16
There are a lot of questions that would need answering before you could come up with a new/improved list. The 26 is the National Park Services official list. When they say in all their literature there are 26 peaks in the park those are the ones they speak of. But using the minimal height of Flying Mountain at 284 ft and the distance from another summit on the list and prominence (Gilmore gets both minimums I believe with .25 miles from nearest peak and 25 feet or so of prominence) you could still add a good dozen or so mountains/heads/nubbles/hills like Brewer, Halfway, Enoch and Kebo Mountains, Conners Nubble, Great Head, Great Hill... the list could go on. Schoodic Head and the Anvil make a great hike and if you made an Acadia NPS list you could add them, but then you would certainly have to add the mountains on Isle Au Haut even with the relative difficulty of accessing them. There's also a couple other mountains labeled right on the topos there that aren't trailed. And just an MDI list would still exclude Schoodic. I'd like to see Bar Island added to the list if one were to be put together also, but that's only 175 feet or so high. Much lower and you'd have to add the other Porcupine Islands. Bald Porcupine might already be taller than that.

So, if one really wanted to come up with some criteria based list (which IMO are the only worthwhile lists) you would probably wind up with double the number of summits on the list now, or you'd have to exclude some already on the NPS's official list which doesn't seem right. There's no rhyme or reason why they picked the ones they did that I know of, but maybe this is why they have stuck with their position that there are 26 peaks in the park when clearly there are more.

Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2