Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Destination...Pawtuckaway! :D - 1/9/16 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Destination...Pawtuckaway! :D - 1/9/16
Well, we'd had this weekend booked for a backpacking trip to the Adirondacks for a month or so, but Mother Nature hates me, so two weeks of blue skies sandwiched a weekend of slop, particularly today, so the trip was saved for another day. No point in driving 5 hours to hike in clouds one day and rain the next. I prefer to enjoy my hikes rather than just bag a cloudy summit. Acadia was plan B but even that wasn't looking so hot and we gave into the fact that a weekend trip far away just wasn't going to happen. :cry: But, since four of us had the weekend free we tried to make the proverbial lemonade out of lemons. And what better place to do that than Pawtuckaway!! :lol:

Our route. 8 miles with 2000+/- feet of elevation

One of my friends had never been (the horror! :shock: ) so we went with the grand tour. We started after lunch up South Mountain. A fresh inch of snow had made conditions much less slick than they were two days before, and we bare booted to the top in good time. We climbed the tower but there was nothing to see so shortly we moved on after putting on spikes for the descent. I suppose one good thing about Pawtuckaway in the clouds is the terrain is king of interesting, actually far more interesting than many bigger mountains, so the ledges, boulders and ponds provided some points of interest even in the fog/clouds/drizzle.

Headed up the South Ridge Trail

Approaching the summit, which is so high up it was in the clouds! 8)

Keeping a lookout for Peter from the tower

Rather narrow stairs going up and down

Holding down the tower

With Duck Tape! :shock:

Headed down the other side of South Mountain

Passing by Round Pond, the Slabs and Boulder field we made our way up the North Mountain Trail to it's abrupt cliff faced end. About halfway up we made the short side trip to check out the Devils Den. We took turns seeing how far in we could get, half heartedly looking for a geocache that is supposed to be in there with no luck. As we were climbing out another couple came along specifically trying to find the cache. He had a flashlight but I lent them my headlamp anyways to make life a little easier while we took a break and packed up. He looked for a few minutes where I thought it was located but had no luck. While chatting with her we found out they know Chuck and Cheryl from their dog hiking group. Small world. The continued their search and we wished them luck and went on our way. Hope they found it. I've looked twice now based on what Chuck has told me and had no luck myself.

Passing by Round Pond along the way

Starting up the trail to the boulder field

The slab, reminds me of a whale here. Anyone else see that? :wink:

Climbing up along the cliffs near the Den

A short side trip to pay it a visit

Headed down into the Devil's Den

Shrinks down at the end

One at a time again

From there it was a climb up to the long summit ridge, passing the hemlocks and Green Monster along the way before topping out in the clouds again. No reason to linger so we finished the ridge off and started for the car on the well packed snowmobile paths. We visited the Bartlett and Chase cemeteries before getting back to the car at dusk. We then tried to get dinner at the Tuckaway Tavern but it had the usual 2 hour wait so we went to the Holy Grail instead before returning to my house for a fire and post hike libations. I think all things considered we made the best of the afternoon. No, it isn't on the same level as a winter backpacking trip to the Daks, but it was better than sitting at home on the couch all weekend in the rain. The Daks will be there in a few weeks to try again, hopefully the sun will be there by then too.

Up through the hemlocks

The Devil left his den to paint on the Green Monster

The summit is just another bump in the ridge but also the high point for the day at 980 feet

Down the other side we go

Paying a visit to the Chase family

Not a bad way to finish this consolation prize of a day

Would rather be hiking a 46er or two, but things could be worse

Last edited by Granite Guy on Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:21 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Destination...Pawtuckaway! :D - 1/9/10
By accident of course I ended up wearing a 100% cotton shirt. The horror! I ended up being quite comfortable if not a bit overheating a touch. And I didn't stink like my socks. Weird thing that cotton.

Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:42 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

That's pretty humorous that you would drag them to Pawtuckaway GG. Sorry for your loss of a good weekend :(

Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:02 am
Master Mountaineer

Once you climb down into the Den, it's hard to stay out of it, huh? :lol: I think we're up to 4-5 times down there now. That's also the first time we've seen duct tape supporting a tower, the wonder of it all. :shock:

Completed Belknap 12 in June 2014
NH 92 Fire Tower List 92/92
Our Videos: www.youtube.com/WeRmudfun

Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:13 am

WeRmudfun wrote:
Once you climb down into the Den, it's hard to stay out of it, huh? :lol: I think we're up to 4-5 times down there now. That's also the first time we've seen duct tape supporting a tower, the wonder of it all. :shock:

Three times for me now. Still can't find the geocache, and I look harder every time. :(

Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:57 pm
Master Mountaineer

Granite Guy wrote:
WeRmudfun wrote:

Three times for me now. Still can't find the geocache, and I look harder every time. :(

Next time you go, if you want a hint, just ask. :lol: :wink:

Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:04 pm

WeRmudfun wrote:
Granite Guy wrote:
WeRmudfun wrote:

Next time you go, if you want a hint, just ask. :lol: :wink:

I think you gave me pretty detailed instructions at one point as to where and what to look for. I still failed. :?

Actually a couple showed up when we were there that said they were in your dog walking group. We chatted for a while and I tried to tell them as best I could remember where you said it was. Not sure if they ever had any luck or not, and of course I forgot to get ask their names.

Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:12 pm
Master Mountaineer

Granite Guy wrote:

Actually a couple showed up when we were there that said they were in your dog walking group. We chatted for a while and I tried to tell them as best I could remember where you said it was. Not sure if they ever had any luck or not, and of course I forgot to get ask their names.

Small world, huh? :) It's been years since we were in that dog group, not sure who that could have been. :)

Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]