Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 N. Monoosnoc, S. Monoosnoc, Bayberry Hill (MA) - 11/20/15 
Sovereign Woodsman

N. Monoosnoc, S. Monoosnoc, Bayberry Hill (MA) - 11/20/15
All the photos: https://www.flickr.com/gp/kmacgray/4R4VCk

Sometimes I like to discover new places close to home. on Friday I visited North Monoosnoc Hill (985'), South Monoosnoc Hill (1159') and Bayberry Hill (1068'), a trio of small peaks in the city of Leominster, MA, about 25 minutes from home. I'd known about these hills for many years, but had never visited them. Each was a short loop hike of about 2.5 miles over mostly old woods roads with easy grades and good footing. North Monoosnoc was probably the best of the bunch, with more diverse terrain and a large open viewpoint. North would also make for a great snowshoe hike when the white stuff arrives.

The first part of the Monoosnoc Trail runs along Monoosnoc Brook, which has some nice cascades. If this weren't mere feet from the busy traffic of Rt. 2, it would be a nice place to sit and relax for a bit.

An open ledgy outlook on the way to North Monoosnoc, providing a vista to the east, including a look down on the exciting Twin City Mall. ;)

The wooded highpoint of North Monoosnoc (985') doesn't offer much for views, just a restricted peek out to Mt. Monadnock.

Open woods on South Monoosnoc Hill.

Anderson Memorial, apparently erected in honor of a benefactor to the trail and summit of South Monoosnoc.

Pine Hill and Wachusett Mountain, as seen from a near-summit outlook on South Monoosnoc Hill.

Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]