[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Hike-NH.com - View topic - More Vermont views fun. 8/15/15

Click for Mount Washington, New Hampshire Forecast

Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 More Vermont views fun. 8/15/15 
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

More Vermont views fun. 8/15/15
I didn't like the forecast for Saturday. Morning sunshine, but quickly going downhill in the afternoon. So I decided to head into Vermont to pick off some of the shorter trips I had been eyeballing in my VT Dayhikers guide. I planned on starting in Woodstock on a little hill not far from Mt. Tom, which some may remember from Greg's report of said peak not too long ago. I was a little pissed because I pulled into the tiny parking area....and it was pouring out. I sat in the car for about 5 minutes and it eased up, so I threw on my rain jacket and small pack and started up.

First of all, I will say it....Woodstock has done some very admirable things with their collection of hills in the great Green Mountain state. Mt. Tom was a shining example of balancing an "outdoorsy" feel with being so close to a lived in town. They took that same mindset with Mt. Peg which, hard to believe, turned out BETTER (views wise) than Tom. Both have a slew of hiking trails, and all feel like being in a small town forest, but often you are not far from homes, though you would never know it.

Anyway, I tramped up Peg pretty quickly, under dull grey skies that thankfully quit spouting water. What I was rewarded with were some very cool views!

Every minute I spent on the summit produced new and unique cloud/mountain interactions. It was very pleasant, so much so even they guy in the backloader (you can see his white pickup truck in the photo....he appeared to be ripping up stumps and tending the giant pasture) did not bother me much.

On the way out I snapped these photos of the info kiosk:

So next up was an old firetower site on Gile Mountain in Norwich. The tower is no longer active, but remains standing and has been turned into a viewing platform. This was noted in the guidebook as a kid/family friendly hike, and indeed it was....as evidenced by the several families with children hiking it, including a pregnant woman apparently in her third trimester!!!!! Anyway, a short hike, well maintained trail, easy grades, and killer views!

The final hike of the day was to a place called The Palisades, near Lake Morey in Fairlee. This hike is too a series of rocky ledges that are closed in the spring and early summer due to falcon nesting. But after August 1st it's all good. The hardest part of this hike was finding the start of the trail. You literally walk up the off ramp for interstate 91 (indeed you can hear the traffic the entire hike up.)

First views come from a power line cut along the way, just below the main view ledge.

Back in the woods I made myself a new friend! I am going to call him either Joey, or Mr. Pickles....not sure which yet. :D

Then you emerge on the main view ledge. Here is an angle towards the other set of ledges further along (about .3 or .4 by trail)

And a pano of the CT river looking into NH.

The other end of the view ledge looking south.

PARTY BARGE!!!!!

You can continue on from here, as I mention, for about another .3 or .4 miles to the other set of ledges which are much more wooded and less impressive. But still you get a glimpse back to the first set of ledges.

After this the heat was getting high, the humidity annoying, and I was ready to head home. All told three hikes that were pretty quick and easy. All would be family/kid friendly, and would make fine stand alone hikes with munchkins. Peg you could easily combo up with Tom and make for a fun family day centered right in one town. Plus in Woodstock they have the lovely covered bridge you pass on the way to Peg and Tom. Save all these hikes for when the views are great and you won't be disappointed! 8)

Brian

Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:15 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: More Vermont views fun. 8/15/15
That is weird, hiking the ramp of the hwy, wow :shock: Love the pics, cool clouds. Love that area so beautiful!

Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:46 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Vertigo on the tower pic :shock:

Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:47 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Mt Tom and Mt Peg - names of two of my siblings. HA HA. I should go there.

Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:08 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Looks like a couple of really nice Heights Brian. Love the photos of the clouds in the valley's. I know there's a lot of great hiking in Vermont, but it's easier for me to get to some of the 4 K's in Maine then it is to some of the smaller mountains in Vermont. :roll:

Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:54 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Oh, the bug will hit you gimpy and then you will be in Vermont in no time. You said the same thing about the 67 8)

Greg

Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:06 pm

Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:41 pm

Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:44 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Dude. Those first couple especially, with the mist and hills -- truly awesome.

Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:30 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Woodstock is a great town. Only hiking I have done in the area is Queechee Gorge, but even that little hike was cool. Looks like there's some stuff worth returning for too. The woods of Vermont and the Green Mountains in general do have a much softer feel to them than the Whites. Strange since they're part of the same Appalachian range and separated by a few miles and a river, but it's true, whether Greg agrees or not! :D

Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]