Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Trip Report: Mt Washington! 
Master Mountaineer

Trip Report: Mt Washington!
Last week was so late spring like I was itching to get outdoors. Wednesday I chose the rockpile on a bright, sunny mostly cloudless day. Ghostdog & I celebrated our successful winter ascent a day before my birthday March 1. With the heavy snowfall that day I wondered if we would even be able to meet the others at the Visitor's Center in Pinkham Notch Sunday. Two completely weather days greeted us

On Sunday March 4, 2007, Bara & King wrote early morning saying they will not be joining us and Bob & Diane bowed out of the hike to prepare for their daughter's wedding in the Cayman Islands. Nice place to visit I hear! We didn't go there, we went up the rockpile, 6288'. It snowed big chunks pretty much all day. Day hiker (Mark) a mask (chip) designer from Beverley and Ryan C., a veterinarian from Rutland who competes in triathlons and iron man competitions, joined Ghostdog and me up the mountain.

Scores of people where on the Tuckerman Ravine Trail to ski or board & even more hikers on Lion Head Trail to summit Big George. There seemed to be hikers, skiers and boarders every 500', it was as though it was May! We met a 12 y/o whose dad was taking him to snowboard the Shelburne Ski Trail for the first time. After Lion Head and just before the Alpine Garden Trail, I started to gag & dry heave. What?! Why?! I had to take off my balaclava (face mask) and goggles to face 75+ mph winds and driven snow. It continued and I had to say enough and bye to the others.

The rope I carried was put to great use. On the descent, I found myself needing to repel down the very steep Lion Head Trail, a lot of fun! Then I met Jim from West Virginia who drove 640 miles in 12 hours Saturday to summit Sunday. He did not because he was severely dehydrated having drank less than 1 liter of water all day. He post holed and Ghostdog went over and nudged him. Jim thought at first it was I helping him up and was surprised, yet happy that it was the dog. A pleasant memory for him always! Jim & I shook hands at the A.M.C. Pinkham Notch Visitors Center and bid farewell.

On the way to the hike the temperature on the bank l.e.d. sign read 31. On the return it read 32. Sounds like fair weather to me. On Monday morning I discovered I had a stomach flu. No wonder why I felt sick. Hiking in the White Mountains is not about goals, it's always about safety!

Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]