Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Snowmobiles and snowshoes and flurries...OH MY! 
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Snowmobiles and snowshoes and flurries...OH MY!
I was asked to write the trip report for the Mt. Martha hike. So, since we take the word of the report writer without question, here is how the trip went down:

Nilsa (HikerAmiga) and Ginny (MtnMama) proclaimed me the worlds studliest man.

rlc and Bob said they wish they could be me.

I ran to the top in a half hour flat, and on the return trip I had to carry everyones gear as well as Ginny....no biggie, I could have carried a couple more people if I had to!

A snowmobile tried to play chicken with me, but when he ran into me the snowmobile just shot up into the air doing backflips as I came out without so much a a scratch.........

.....see Nilsa, I told you my memory was horrible :P :P :P :P :lol: :wink:

Ok, ok, so maybe it was not exactly like I just wrote. True I am a stud. And Bob and rlc may or may not have said they wanted to be me. But its all good! So now that the mood has been lightened lets move on to the REAL trip report!

Jen and I arrived at the parking lot for the Mt. Martha trail across from Lennon Rd. only to find it had not been plowed. I had taken my Pick-up today (heat...heat...heeeeeeeeeat, precious lovely heat!!!!!) so decided to see if I could make it up into the lot. I busted through and even with the 4 wheel drive basically started burning rubber. So rather than mess around anymore I just pulled out and parked on the side of the road. About 15 minutes after that Nilsa and rlc came pulling up behind me. They had met rather happenstancely at the McDonalds down the road where Nilsa was getting breakfast and rlc was stopping for the mens room. We all started getting ready as we waited for Ginny to arrive. At about 9:24 she showed up in her pick-up where she took it right up into the lot, snow spitting and tires spinning! Hey, fashionably late and a fashionable entrance.....not to shabby!!! :lol: She got out and introduced us to her freind Bob (not his real name by the way :lol: :wink:) who would be joining us today. We all gathered our gear up and started off along the trail.

Except for mine and Ginnys tire tracks, no trace of anyone could be seen in the parking lot for the past few days. So I knew the trail was going to be interesting today. I was right. There was an old track, but it was faint and a few snow drops had made for a not-too-deep, but otherwise unpacked trail. We had all packed snowshoes in today, but decided to keep on bare booting it despite the fact the shoes would probably have made it easier. We cruised along the flats at a decent pace, stopping often to drink and chit chat. It was chilly out, but not a bone numbing cold, and the sun was kept playing a silly game of peek-a-boo with us through the clouds. Its was a pleasantly quiet and serene day, and the lack of a clear track made for a quaint remote feeling as we bumbled along at a nice even pace. Slowly (as they always do) the trail decided it was time to go up, and we were greated with an increasing incline that culminated in a pitch that would give a stairmaster a run for its money. :lol:

With the grade at an amzingly steep rise we picked our way ever so slowly along the rocky-under-foot trail, slipping and digging for every step. I looked at the GPS and at that point we were only averaging .7 MPH. Instead of a climb it was more like a number a short rest breaks broken up by tedious uphill walking. But like all good things, the steepness had to come to an end, and with Bob (not rlc, the guy Bob who's real name is not Bob....confused yet!? :? :lol: ) in the lead I heard him proclaim with joy "The snowmobile trail is right here!" And sure enough it was. The last .2 miles to Mt. Martha follows a dead end snowmobile trail, and we were all ENTHRALLED to walk on a perfectly packed, perfectly groomed trail for that last .2 miles. Ahhh, but nothing can ever go completely your way. Nope, you can imagine our surprise when (gasp!) we found snowmobiles on the snowmobile trail. Of course, they were coming around a blind corner, and we were as much surprised to see them as they were us.....so much so I saw Bob (no, Bob the guy not named Bob, not rlc....huh!?!? :? :? ) jump about 10 feet in the air and 20 feet ot the side. It was almost hilarious, untill I realized the snowmobilers were now headed for me, upon which I jumped 30 feet in the air, and 20 feet to the side. Thankfully all was clear after that and we continued the last few hundred feet to the summit in solitude and free from insane snowmobile gangs (do the Hells Angels have a snowmobile chapter?)

The summit of Mt. Martha is reputed for its quaint view off to the Rockpile and Northern Presidential Range. For all our toil, all our effort, we were treated to the most lovely view of the backside of a cloud......no seriously, it was the backside. I know because that damn cloud was mooning us! I was going to give it a swift kick in the....awwww never mind. Just trust me when I say there was nothing to look at but gray, gray and more gray. But it was a lovely gray at that :roll: . I noticed the way over to Owl's Head (no not that Owl's Head, that one is in the Pemi, this one is called the Owl's Head like a bunch of other.....oh man I am REALLY confused now!!! :? :? :? ) was not tracked....heck it did not even have any visible prints on it. So we decided it was not worth the effort and instead chose to move back down to the junction with the snowmobile trail for lunch.

With the wind slightly blowing we ate up our lunches with gusto (there is your big word for the decade :wink: ) as we talked about whatever came to our minds. Of course, my mind is the size of a pea, and some of the oddest and inane things came out. But everyone humored me like they always do, and for that I am greatfull....after all, with a mind as small as mine I have no idea what patronizing means 8) . After lunch was done I decided "Im using my snowshoes." I figured, since I brought them up I might as well use them....right? Or does that make too much sense? Well, I guess I started a trend since everyone else decided to do the same.

So here is your joke of the day: What do a bunch of dyslexic hikers do? Give up? They make a snowshoe trail going down when they should have done it going up! :shock:

The snowshoes made things a lot easier....and enjoyable too. Most of us have not had the pleasure of needing them much (if at all) in the time we had been winter hiking. In 2 seasons of winter hiking I only ever needed to use them ONCE. Nilsa had bought a second smaller pair after not even using the other ones! For Jen, her 1 1/2 year old shoes finally touched snow....FINALLY!!!!! But the highlight was Ginny's shoes which, if we had some rope, we could have tied a trekking pole to and made boat paddles! These things could float the Titanic, ice berg holes and all!!!

So there we all were, humming along in our snowshoes. I think Bob (no you got it, the not Bob named Bob...... :? :? :? :? ) was the only one who walked away this day without a mishap. I hear Ginny thought she was Nancy Kerrigan, but realized too late snowshoes are not figure skates, and did a belly flop into the fresh powder. I saw rlc take a plop or two. Me? Mine was the worst.....simply because I was standing still! :oops: While standing around waiting for Nilsa and rlc I went to turn. But the tail of one of my shoes caught on something and I went down with legs flailing. At that moment I did the only thing anyone can do in a situation like that.....I started laughing my butt off!!! :lol: :lol:

After making some great time down we were happy to see the houses across the street poke their brown sided walls through the trees. Ginny, Jen and Bob (oh never mind :? :? :? :? :? ) already waiting for Nilsa, rlc and I. We chatted a bit before all saying good bye and heading off into the orange washed, late day sun. Overall a great day to a nifty peak with some awesome people. I may not have ran to the top. I may not have played Herculese, and I may not have played chicken with a snowmobile...............

......but I'm still a studmuffin :shock: :P :lol: :wink:

B.

Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:19 pm
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

... and you also get the award for the most smilies in a trip report!

:)

Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:22 pm

I STILL have a grin on my face from this one :wink: .

B.

Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:28 am

Here are the goodies:

Pictures

and

GPS Track and Profile

B.

Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:57 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Quote:
... and you also get the award for the most smilies in a trip report!

I hope he gets a special smiley illiteration! :D

Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:09 pm

Great job Brian...killer TR too!

Love the GPS track too!

Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:12 pm

Pucknuts61 wrote:
Love the GPS track too!

Whats interesting is there are a couple very discreet differences in the track on either side which is unusual since we used the same exact trail up and down.

B.

Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:04 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Your too much New Hampshire!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:18 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Studmuffin :?: :lol:

I think you may have a new name......

Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:21 pm

ScenicNH wrote:
Studmuffin :?: :lol:

I think you may have a new name......

Or you can just call me Beefcake:

:shock: :lol: :wink:

B.

Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:41 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Quote:
Whats interesting is there are a couple very discreet differences in the track on either side which is unusual since we used the same exact trail up and down.

Hey is it BC now?- could the departures be the unplanned near misses with machinery, and other forms of trail "excitement" :oops:

glad for so much fun on the trails.

Looks like it's our turn - SNOW!! I'll tell ya Thursday, YES![[/quote]

Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:36 am

dougeh wrote:
could the departures be the unplanned near misses with machinery, and other forms of trail "excitement" :oops:

Very probable! What great cardio too. I mean, my heart was pumping faster after the near miss than it was on the climb up!!!! :lol: :lol:

B.

Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:17 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Fun trip report! Too bad you guys missed out on those awesome views. I'm hoping to return to Mt Martha this summer and ascend via the trail from the north directly to Owl's Head, maybe descending out the snowmobile trail to Cherry Mtn Rd (if I can figure out where to spot a vehicle). Maybe someday I'll do the bushwhack over to The Humps too

Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:41 am

Hey Ron, Ginny was saying that she would like to do the same exact thing too! Maybe we can get a group together for a full traverse this summer. Those views are awesome and not to be missed! When I was up there in summer there were these monsterous dragonflies buzzing around. I swear they were the size of Jet fighters....and just as aerobatically nimble!!!! :shock:

B.

Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]