Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 ADK's Lower Great Range Traverse - 7/19 & 7/20 
Sovereign Woodsman

Granite Guy wrote:
Thanks Beckie. Funny thing is the sunrise itself wasn't all that colorful or exciting, but I barely looked in that direction for once since it wasn't the star of the show this time! :D

The drive is 4:31 minutes according to Google maps to Keene Valley, which is the gateway to the High peaks area. We regularly do it in 4:15 (drive time) with a stop for gas and have made it home in 4 flat with no stops (must have been a tail wind) and it's an extra 20 min to Lake Placid. But I mean it when I say it goes by fast and is very scenic through the Green Mtns and along lake Champlain, and interesting, to me at least. Those little towns of Vermont and NY are a little slice of Americana that's fading away fast. It's almost like driving Route 66 and I actually look forward to it, well, as much as you can look forward to a 4 hour ride. The drive to most of the Maine peaks was much more boring (except Baxter maybe) and seemed to drag on forever in comparrison.

That's 'cause the Maine Turnpike sucks! We went to Baxter a few years ago and the only relief for the monotony were the huge eagle nests on top of some of the power line poles.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:49 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Beckie and Prema wrote:
Granite Guy wrote:
Thanks Beckie. Funny thing is the sunrise itself wasn't all that colorful or exciting, but I barely looked in that direction for once since it wasn't the star of the show this time! :D

The drive is 4:31 minutes according to Google maps to Keene Valley, which is the gateway to the High peaks area. We regularly do it in 4:15 (drive time) with a stop for gas and have made it home in 4 flat with no stops (must have been a tail wind) and it's an extra 20 min to Lake Placid. But I mean it when I say it goes by fast and is very scenic through the Green Mtns and along lake Champlain, and interesting, to me at least. Those little towns of Vermont and NY are a little slice of Americana that's fading away fast. It's almost like driving Route 66 and I actually look forward to it, well, as much as you can look forward to a 4 hour ride. The drive to most of the Maine peaks was much more boring (except Baxter maybe) and seemed to drag on forever in comparrison.

That's 'cause the Maine Turnpike sucks! We went to Baxter a few years ago and the only relief for the monotony were the huge eagle nests on top of some of the power line poles.

Yeah, if there's a road out there that can put you to sleep it's that one. Unfortunate that the best single mountain in the North East is located near the end of it.

Are they eagles nests? Or Osprey nests? Probably hard to tell at 75 mph. I know that along route 1 on the way to Acadia there are about a dozen Osprey nests and when you get near Lake Champlain and Fort Point, NY there's about a dozen too on the way to the Daks. I too this as we drove by on the way home.

Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:11 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I think you are right, I think they are Osprey nests. If I'm ever up there again and see any birds, I'll see if they look like the one on Prema's pack :lol:!

Several years ago, we took a bunch of scenic backroads at sunset, just to mix things up!

Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2