Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Mt. Tripyramid: A Slide And A Half - September 20, 2014 
Sovereign Woodsman

Mt. Tripyramid: A Slide And A Half - September 20, 2014

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/gp/kmacgray/BwHnH6

The original Plan A was a loop over the Tripyramids via the slides. This has been a bucket list hike I've been trying to do for a long time. Thanks to a completely wrong forecast, heavy fog made the north slide very wet and slick. I got to the slabs and didn't feel I could safely get up the slide in those conditions, especially solo. So I bailed and hugged trees on the way down, which was interesting in itself. Two other folks did the same thing. I'll be back on a hopefully dry day for that! Then it was time for a Plan B, which was up and down the south slide to South Tripyramid. This was much easier! The south slide was wet higher up, but it's basically a boulder scramble at that point, so there are plenty of places for hands and feet. Very chilly and windy at the summit, so I didn't stay long. Not like there's a lot to see there anyway. ;)

The worst part of this hike is the walk along Livermore Road. Ugh. I wasn't a fan of road walks before, but this really confirmed it.

A few tales from the hike:

1. Heading up the north slide, I saw someone coming down and thought, well there's someone with some guts coming down this thing. "Is this the trail?", he asked. "Yes, this is it", I replied. "This is f*****g crazy! I'm not experienced enough for this, I'm turning around!" He seemed pretty frazzled, so much so that he said he ditched his hiking poles on the slide because they were getting in his way. Just left them there. I didn't quite understand this. On the south slide, I saw someone who had picked them up. I also heard from another hiker who had seen this guy that he had slipped and fallen coming back down the slide. Hope he was okay.

2. Retreating down the slide, I ran into someone on their way up. He remarked on how slick it was getting, and I mentioned it was even more slippery a bit higher up. After a bit of deliberation, he also decided to head back down.

3. On the south slide, I met an older gentleman who was on his way over to East Sleeper via the slide. Honestly, I didn't even think of this as a possible route to get to the Sleepers. He and I were the only ones headed UP the south slide, and we saw lots of people coming down. We hiked up the slide together until the Kate Sleeper Trail, where we parted ways. He remarked that he'd likely be coming out in the dark, so I hope he made it back safely.

4. I passed a group of younger folks coming down the south slide. One woman in the group looked at me and said, "hey, nice beard". "Thanks, I grew it myself", I replied. ;)

Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:32 am
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Interesting....I've wondered how steep and dangerous that North slide really is; it's hard to tell from pictures. This is also on my bucket list but kind of near the bottom of the list, since I've been to the Tri-pyramids twice, including in winter, but have never done the slides.

Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:22 am
Sovereign Woodsman

BobC wrote:
Interesting....I've wondered how steep and dangerous that North slide really is; it's hard to tell from pictures.

From what I've researched and seen, it's rubble-like at the bottom, then quickly turns to slippery slabs with areas of moss. Higher up, the rock is more textured, providing better traction. From Livermore Road, the trail / slide climbs 1,800 ft. in 1.2 miles to the north peak. I did notice some bypasses down lower, but don't know if those continue higher up. I was initially bummed I didn't keep going, but I also didn't want to get myself in trouble or put anyone else at risk should they need to come and get me.

The south slide is also very steep, 1,000 ft. in 0.6 miles, but the footing is much easier. It's gravelly down low and more of a bouldery, scramble up higher. No slippery slabs.

Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:38 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Wow, that was pretty socked in! Sounds like a good call turning back. I remember coming down the south slide and losing the trail and having to sit and study it for a bit before figuring out where to go. I don't think I have any interest in ever going back, except to do the Kate Sleeper trail which is on the long term bucket list. It was just a dreary day Saturday for sure. I commend anyone for getting out there and having the energy to hike. I couldn't get motivated to do anything since it was so crappy out.

Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:12 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

It definitely gets more slabby and open. Great views too. My one time on the slides we somehow read the map upside down or backwards or just weren't paying attention and ascended South and descended on North. Still don't know how we managed that and it wasn't until we were wearing out the seat of our shorts scooting down parts of the thing that we figured out our mistake. One of the few trails I've ever hiked I could envision myself tumbling down 1000 feet like a rolling stone if I slipped. There's just nothing to stop you until you hit the bottom! I would however like to hike it again the recommended way. I've heard they've really grown in in the almost 20 years since I was there last.

Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:31 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

i remember us going up the north slide and watching this poor lady struggling up the trail and screaming for her hiking partners to wait only for them and her to get mad at us for not helping her out.

Greg

Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:13 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I want you guys to know that I do check all your T/R's out. I just can't comment on them most of the times because I don't know them. I do love all the pictures though.

Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]