Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Galehead - on a cold 2/3/07! 

Galehead - on a cold 2/3/07!
4:30 came quickly on Saturday. I made the final preparations for the day and threw the gear in the car. On the short walk from the house to the car I realized it was very cold out and asked myself what the hell am I doing going mountain climbing in the winter!
The voices in my head quieted down once the car was warm and I was on my way.
I met Wildpeaks at Beans in Concord and we made our final plans while driving up together. He only has a few peaks let for his Winter 48 and we’ve been chipping away each weekend usually deciding in the car between 2 trips we planned out during the week.. However, the cold temps and the forecast for the higher summits made our decision easy. Instead of Adams, we were heading to Galehead with the possibility of doing a loop to include South Twin and North Twin. We didn’t have a car spotted at 7 Dwarves so we knew if we made the loop and came down the N Twin Trail we’d also have to beg for a ride back to 5 Corners to get our car. The Gale River Road is closed and I think it has been since September! So we parked at 5 Corners and started the day with a 1.6 mile road walk just to get to the trail head. Be careful and make sure you remember to take a right and follow the brown hiker signs to the trailhead. If you continue straight you’ll miss the trailhead.
The road was broken by snowmobiles but there were about 8 inches of snow and a few footprints in front of us so we knew once we left the road we’d still be on a broken trail. This was good because I had left my snowshoes at home. This was just one more indication that the day wouldn’t go as well as hoped.
Wildpeaks and I traded some trail tales while we walked along and soon we were crossing the river all the while trying to figure out if we could bushwhack off North Twin to get back to the car. Again, without snowshoes a bushwhack would have been difficult.
The day was beautiful but the clouds above us were moving fast so we knew there would be some wind once we hit exposed areas above tree line. Garfield looked ominous to our right and North Twin and The Nubble looked impending to our left with blue skies and sun popping out every so often.
We were able to bareboot it to the Garfield Ridge Trail without too many problems. Wildpeaks decided to put on his lightweight crampons just about the time we met 3 other hikers and their 2 dogs on the way down. These were the only other people we’d see all day but it’s always nice to stop to chat and to find out what conditions are like ahead.
We finally made it to the closed Galehead Hut but not before I realized I wasn’t doing well with my breathing. I needed to rest and to get some hot tea in me (OK, great excuse for some hot tea on a very frigid day!) and I also needed to fix my boot (my sock has pushed forward and my toes were hurtin’). After some repairs and snacks we made our way to the summit of Galehead to celebrate Tom’s 40th winter hill. I still wasn’t feeling quite right and things weren’t getting better as I kept falling despite wearing my newly refurbished crampons. The views to South Twin were incredible and the Pemi was all awash in white….simply magnificient!
The temps were in the high teens and the wind wasn’t as bad as we expected, but due to the way I was feeling just doing the .6 from the hut to the summit I knew that South Twin was going to be a no-go for me. Even my new camcorder and GPS weren’t cooperating today but thankfully it was only due to the cold temps.
We have a Bond trip planned for a couple of weeks that’s going to start at North Twin so missing the Twins today wasn’t going to be too upsetting. It would have been nice because South Twin is one of my favorite hills but today was just not my day.
We headed back down the Gale River Trail all the while looking up to where we could have been. It was a long haul out and we were wearing our headlamps before we even hit the trailhead. We could hear some snowmobiles on the road so we knew we were close but by this time the stars were out in full force so the road walk wasn’t too bad with the sky all light up (the fumes from the snowmobiles was a different story!).
We made it back to the car about 7 PM with 13+ miles under our feet for the day and I was looking forward to spending Sunday on the couch with my feet up and my cup full of hot liquids.
Congrats on #40 Wildpeaks I’ll be ready for Zealand by next week!

Pictures are posted just click on the link below.
Bill

Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:09 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

I take my tea with lemon and laced with sugar for a winter hike, Bill -
and piping HOT!- sure does feel great!
Did you guys see cedar waxwings at all; with all the mtn ash up there?
Wasn't the sky the most amazing blue and those clouds flying like nobodies business?!
Super Nice now that it's REALLY WINTER!

Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:52 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

I wanna see some video of you making snow angels outside the hut!!! :lol: :P I think you are lying about the camcorder not working to protect your innocence!!!

B.

Last edited by New Hampshire on Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:07 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Re: Galehead - on a cold 2/3/07!
Pucknuts61 wrote:

The voices in my head quieted down once the car was warm and I was on my way.

I wish the voices in my head would quiet down!

Pucknuts61 wrote:

We headed back down the Gale River Trail all the while looking up to where we could have been. It was a long haul out and we were wearing our headlamps before we even hit the trailhead. We could hear some snowmobiles on the road so we knew we were close but by this time the stars were out in full force so the road walk wasn’t too bad with the sky all light up (the fumes from the snowmobiles was a different story!).
Bill

Night hiking is just awesome. The mountains take on a completely different look and feel when you are wearing your headlamp.

Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:16 pm

Hey Brian, I do have video! It's just that it was so cold it wasn't working well so I had to keep it inside my pocket to keep the battery warm.
Someday I'll find out if I can post video on MSN spaces.

and yes ScenicNH! I enjoy night hiking in winter more than summer. The moon over a snowy trail looks so cool...and it's easier to follow the trails!

Doug, you gotta try your tea with Sambuca!

Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:15 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Quote:
you gotta try your tea with Sambuca!

You know it Bill!- or even all by it's self :D

Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:39 am

Pucknuts61 wrote:

One word.....YouTube! :lol:

That is assuming, of course, you don't have any potentially....compromising.....video of yourself :lol: :wink: :P

B.

Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:13 pm
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Oooh, that visual was NOT nice! :)

Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:15 pm

Pucknuts61 wrote:

I tried Bill and had no luck. Let me know if you ever figure it out.

Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:41 pm
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

When we go to the next version of the Forum, you will be able to post video right in your message! Until then, let me know if you want to post video, I'll put it on the site and give you a link. I've got plenty of space! (456 GB and counting)

Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]