[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Hike-NH.com - View topic - Cardigan Lodge to Welton Falls 5/27/14

Click for Mount Washington, New Hampshire Forecast

Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Cardigan Lodge to Welton Falls 5/27/14 
Sovereign Woodsman

Cardigan Lodge to Welton Falls 5/27/14
Cardigan Lodge to Welton Falls, Alexandria, NH 5/27/14
Start at the Cardigan Lodge, and take the Manning Trail along, (and across), Fowler River to Welton Falls, (2.8 miles). This wild waterfall shoots through a tall gorge. The entire route is blazed in yellow. There’s also a cavern at the top of the falls. This is totally one of the most impressive waterfalls I’ve ever seen. The pictures show nothing compared to the video. The video shows you how wild this place really is. You really should take the time to watch it. What’s 10 minutes? You won’t be disappointed!

<iframe width="740" height="460" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BoYmeS_c1Sc?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0"></iframe>

The Cardigan Lodge

Coming to the beginning of the top of the falls. That’s real high up!

The top of the falls, picturing down

Looking at the whole waterfall

The cavern at the top

Tue May 27, 2014 4:07 pm
Master Mountaineer

Completed Belknap 12 in June 2014
NH 92 Fire Tower List 92/92
Our Videos: www.youtube.com/WeRmudfun

Tue May 27, 2014 6:28 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Tue May 27, 2014 9:23 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I just bought a book on waterfalls. I plan on seeing as many as I can this year. It's kinda hard to show you with just pictures. I'll try and make the videos shorter, but I did cut out the main trip to the falls. That was wild too.

I wish I could climb higher. Those T/R's seem to get views and comments. I don't know how many more of those climbs I can do. My knees are really killing me, especially the right one. I'm trying to avoid that knee replacement surgery, but I think it's gonna happen.....soon. My doctor is even looking at my left shoulder now. I had the right one done about 6 years ago, and it still hurts. Now the left one is acting up. Remember, I had that crazy car accident back in 2000. I should have been killed in it. It took over a year of PT to kind of recover from all the broken bones. I still never healed that well. As I'm getting older, things are going to need to be operated on. I'm just speeding it up by climbing. My c-spine is another case. I ruptured over 90% of it and it's hurting too. I'm lucky to be doing what I am at this point! I'm not looking for sympathy, I'm just telling it as it is. I love the forests and mountains of New Hampshire so much, but I need to calm it down a bit on the high climbing. This waterfalls book is just for me.

Wed May 28, 2014 2:27 am
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Interesting...a few years ago Brian (New Hampshire) and I went with our friend Amy to hike Cardigan...only to find that she left her hiking boots in her car back at the carpool lot, and she only had crocs. So we hiked to Welton Falls but I am 95% sure it wasn't via the Manning trail. I remember we hiked down to the falls and ended up at the bottom of them. Is that what you did?

Wed May 28, 2014 8:26 am
Sovereign Woodsman

My husband and I did this one a couple of years ago and IIRC said he used to jump in from on top and go swimming in the hole during the summer time. Apparently it is a popular swimming hole. It is an impressive spot for sure and a nice flat walk to get to it.

Wed May 28, 2014 8:30 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Wed May 28, 2014 8:51 am

Wed May 28, 2014 10:06 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Wed May 28, 2014 10:18 am

Wed May 28, 2014 1:18 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Here’s a picture I took of the map at the lodge.

Bob, you’re right…it is the Lower Manning Trail. But it went down the whole way to the top of the falls in this picture.
This is about .2 miles after you cross the Fowler River. The trail was a soggy trail with a lot of roots and rocks to climb over. The hurricane we had years back did a job on the trail.
From here, you had to climb down to the bottom. There was no trail that I knew of that started at the bottom. I wish you guys could tell me of it. I want to take my wife there, but she couldn’t handle the LMTrail. I found it a bit hard at times myself. You know my rickety knees! :lol:

Wed May 28, 2014 2:27 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Finally catching up on my videos on this drizzly afternoon. Great little spot and good look at it on the video. Certainly looks like it would make a great swimming hole and a possible hike with the kids sometime. I'm looking forward to seeing more of the waterfalls you explore from your book!

Wed May 28, 2014 2:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]