[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Hike-NH.com - View topic - Arethusa, but no Frankenstein

Click for Mount Washington, New Hampshire Forecast

Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Arethusa, but no Frankenstein 
Sovereign Woodsman

Arethusa, but no Frankenstein
This will be a short one, coming 48 hours after Karl's trip. Similar conditions, only a lot less rain for us!

Last time we were here had to be at least 13 years ago, as my son Arun was with us (still in high school at the time). We did the cliffs as well, today I just wanted a short one (although I'd like to do it as a loop with Ripley someday, and thanks for the bike tips for THAT possibility).

This time it seemed very different. We took Bemis, so that we could see the other falls and cascades. I thought "I wonder if Keys could do this?" and then we came to the short, but steep section Karl mentions. Stay away from that, Joe! After rejoining the Arethusa Trail, a couple heading down knew me from somewhere and it turns out they do mailings at my post office. Nothing says your vacation is nearly over (back tomorrow :() like running into a customer a mile off of the highway 100 miles from work! So funny!

The Arethusa Trail of 2014 was definitely not the trail of whenever it is we were last there. I thought I remembered it as hugging the brook, lots more roots to trip on, and coming out on the opposite side of the bottom of the falls. This was very different; especially the two bridges! Nice surprise! They do have a couple of boards missing, but someone has put bright tape near those sections for those who are not paying attention. On the way down Prema showed me where the trail had been discontinued. The present trail is very nice, especially when nearing the falls. You get glimpses of them through the trees and then you are there! Beautiful photos on Karl's blog, but this is something you really need to see in person! By the way, I clicked the link and saw Joe Keys did make it there in the winter (lovely picture, but did it get you in trouble with the Dr.?

Did not see any red trillium (maybe they were past the falls on the way to the cliffs), but many painted ones.

Mon May 26, 2014 10:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]