Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Basin & Friends - 10-21-13 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

The Basin & Friends - 10-21-13
Day two of the trip had continued mild temps (mid 50's) and some sunshine promised. Not wanting to drive too far I picked out a trail I've tried to hike for years but never made it up very far that I thougt would hold the kiddos attention for a second day in a row. We drove to the Basin parking area and went waterfall hunting. The Basin itself was nice, as usual, but the real goal of the day was to finally get up the Basin Cascades trail.

The namesake Basin, just because it's there

The trail starts just across the stream that runs past the Basin

The trail itself was quite wet and rooty with rough footing. That had me a little worried at first but my oldest daughter breezed along, sending leaf boats on a ride down the cascades whenever possible. The middle one was in no mood for a hike that day and asked for a ride and the newest addition, now 4 months old, napped in the front pack almost the entire way. Dozens of opportunities to step off the trail onto broad open ledges and check out the cascades as they tumbles continuously down the valley presented themselves and we took advantage of many of them.

The brook tumbling down the large open lower ledges

The largest cascade. The trail gets a bit rougher after that but never too difficult

After one very large cascade that dropped maybe 200 feet and fanned out at the last ledge the stream bed got rougher and narrower, so the trail climbed higher up the embankment. After half a mile you come to the side path for Kinsman Falls, a pitcher fall that plunges maybe 30 feet into a pool. Quite photogenic, although not quite so much under overcast skies in stick season, I was content to look at it from up higher this day at the top of the steep spur path. I took a few pics and carried on, positive that I'll be back on a nicer summer day and peak leaf season.

Kinsman Falls

Occasional views across the notch

Crossing the brook

A bit farther up the trail there is a moderately difficult water crossing at the bottom of a wild looking chasm before climbing steeply up the opposite riverbank and skirting the wet, muddy edge of a sizable drop off down to the water. It passes even more cascades before flattening out some for the last 10th of a mile or so and finally hit's Moss Glen Falls.

Yet more of the scenic brook and never ending cascades along the trail

Moss Glen was an awesome little falls, fanning out down the rocks as it tumbled down 30 feet or so through a wild little gash in the bedrock. While the family had a snack I scrambled around for some better views along the edge of the stream and then climbed up higher on the bluffs overlooking it. Past that the trails climbs its final few hundred yards through a small box canyon before hitting the foundation of the washed out bridge and ending at the Cascade Brook trail junction, where there was a limited view downstream of Little Haystack I believe.

Last but not least Moss Glen Falls comes into view

Scrambling and rock hopping provides many different viewpoints of this awesome little waterfall

If you want more after that you can take the Cascade Brook trail back down to the notch and finish off a loop to the Basin. Lonesome Lake isn't far away either and next time I go I'll be adding that in. I've hiked those trails before and that loop of Basin Cascades, Lonesome Lake and Cascade Brook would be an overload of non summit scenery. We however retraced our steps the 1.2 miles to the car the way we came. If you didn't gather this already the ruggedness and scenic beauty of this little trail amazed me. I really can't recall any others like it in the White's but if anyone else can please share! :D Only Falling Waters comes close that I can think of but it lacks the ruggedness and wild feel this one had. A real water feature lovers delight and a very enjoyable 2.5 miles of hiking anyone should like. And since hiking with three little kids isn't really conducive to clambering around for the best photos I again won't waste time linking any more. That's pretty much the highlights anyhow.

Last edited by Granite Guy on Sun May 08, 2016 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:09 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I love that you call this "Stick Season" First I've heard that and I love it! Looks like you made the best of a gloomy day in Stick Season!! :D

Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:38 am
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Nice report and I enjoyed seeing that trail as it looks at this time of year. I've been up that trail to Lonesome Lake Hut 3 or 4 times but always in winter. The area around the brook crossing is really nice with the snow. I haven't done this trip since the bridge further up the trail was washed out though...wonder if they'll ever replace that.

Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:28 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Nice pics! Excellent use of an overcast day :)

Really like the Kinsman Falls & the last pic , but all are excellent.

Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:41 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

This is an awesome little gem of a trail I passed through OMW to the kinsman's. Plenty of cascades and quaint falls. I'd love to check it out during spring thaw. Great report and pics!

Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:30 pm

I don't know if they'll ever replace that bridge Bob. Seems like an odd spot to have such a large man made structure just to cross a Brook anyhow. That and the thing keeps washing away. So many rock hops in similar spots it doesn't make much sense to me why it was there in the first place. But an awesome trail I can't wait to get back to for sure. Surprising to me also how close Moss Glen Falls is to the trail junction and bridge site (200 yards maybe??) But I never detoured to see it either time on my way up Cascade Brook Tr.

Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:58 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I believe that the bridge in question was placed there because Cascade Brook Tr is part of the AT. It has washed away a couple of times now and I haven't heard of any plans to replace it in thenear future.

Nice reports GG. Way to explore some family friendly trails.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:32 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I wonder how many tourists goto the basin and completely miss this area. I sure didn't know about it till I went up the kinsman's. There is a big sign for it also.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:00 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Bump.

I don't want to write up a tr 'cause that's how I roll (today), but I was able to get here today. It was too beautiful to not climb something, so I hit Welch-Dickey (had been there early in my hiking "career" but didn't understand what anything was or take my camera), and as nice as that was, THIS with Spring melt-off was awesome. Too lazy to post pics, but the river was positively roaring with beautiful clear water and cascades entire way, probably more than double the volume that GG's pics above show. In fact, it was a blessing and a curse -- the walk was tremendous, but that water crossing where his wife is helping his young daughter hop across? The price I paid was actually having to de-boot and sock and wade across. Quite a different scene. However -- #1, it was worth it, and #2 Kinsman Falls was the best spot, and before the crossing, so although Rocky Glen Falls was excellent and a bit further, you can hit the highlight without having to bother or just be prepared (probably stay dry with gaiters no problem).

Hooray for waterfalls in Spring!

Kind of agree with you on The Basin, by the way. It's a nice thing and all, I kind of dig it, it's unique, but if I was a tourist and I saw the sign and stopped and looked, I'd be all like "Well ok, that's cool. . . but if they put up a sign and an exit for THIS, there must not be much to see here." (And then go to the Old Man Viewing Site, otherwise known as "the place where there USED to be something to see!")

Mon May 12, 2014 9:16 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

That place is the best! We did this for Mother's Day last year.

Mon May 12, 2014 9:34 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

The Basin is a cool place. Funny thing...I was gonna do the Basin Cascade Trail today.
I was wondering how Kinsman Falls looked with the thaw. (Is that it's name?)
Instead, I went up to the Crawford Notch. There weren't many people around.

Mon May 12, 2014 9:54 pm

I had a sneaking suspicion this place would be awesome in the spring runoff. If you ever have a minute it would be cool to see some pictures to compare, especially Kinsman Falls. It did look like it could be the star of the show and resemble Glen-Ellis falls with more water.[/b]

Tue May 13, 2014 6:49 am

I had a sneaking suspicion this place would be awesome in the spring runoff. If you ever have a minute it would be cool to see some pictures to compare, especially Kinsman Falls. It did look like it could be the star of the show and resemble Glen-Ellis falls with more water.[/b]

Tue May 13, 2014 6:50 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Well with a personal request I'd be out of line not to.

Kinsman Falls was the highlight, I think, and I agree that it looks a lot like Glen Ellis. Honestly, though, I think it looks the least different compared to your pics.

Kinsman Falls (note the bit of snow still clinging to the rock):
<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/80262268@N05/14181767145/player/" width="800" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Here's what Rocky Glenn Falls looked like (you refer to a Moss Glenn Falls -- is this a different name for it? Nothing around there with that name in my WMG, anyway):
<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/80262268@N05/14158595036/player/" width="800" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe>

What was really remarkable, was just basically every inch of the brook. Here's I think the broadest ledge/cascade, I believe you have a pic of the same spot but the volume of water -- wow!
<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/80262268@N05/14179130932/player/" width="800" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe>

And that at basically every turn it looked a lot like this:
<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/80262268@N05/14178466911/player/" width="800" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe>

As mentioned, I came here after Welch-Dickey, and as backward as it seems, this was way more attractive and enjoyable. W-D will probably win when the trees get their leaves and the spring melt-off returns rivers to normal flow levels, but dang -- if I could go out again tomorrow, I'd go find all the falls I could. I've been to Arethusa/Ripley 3 times, and wondered if I blew it by not going there again!

And Joey -- no question, you'd love this place. If I'd had another hour or so I could tell you how it compares to Georgiana, but it wasn't in the cards. Actually I got up and was going to make a Georgiana/Basin-Cascades day of it, but couldn't get excited about it and it was so beautiful, I decided I needed something with views. W-D was great of course, I don't really regret it, but more falls might have been the bigger win.

Tue May 13, 2014 9:39 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Eh, looking again at yours, it looks like all of mine are from the same spots as yours. I was just looking for my best looking ones.

I actually think I like Rocky Glenn Falls better in yours with less water. Less impressive in a way, but maybe more attractive?

Also, I'm pretty sure the rock that your daughter is leaving was submerged. Just a LOT of water!

Tue May 13, 2014 9:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next