[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Hike-NH.com - View topic - The Carters- 8/16/13

Click for Mount Washington, New Hampshire Forecast

Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 The Carters- 8/16/13 
Sovereign Woodsman

The Carters- 8/16/13

NEFF: 31/50
NEHH: 75/100

Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:01 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Good job on getting a few more. I know what you mean about the incredible force of a beds gravity. You will definately have to go back and visit Mt Hight. As you may have heard it has the best views on the ridge and only adds about a quarter mile and 100' of elevation. Also there is a shortcut to Camp Dodge near the bottom of the southern branch of the Imp Tr that puts you on NH16 about a tenth of a mile from 19MB trail head. But don't sweat it, I did both (passed on Hight and the long roadwalk) when I was pursuing the 48 for the first time. It's more fun to figure things out on your own anyway.

Again, good job!

Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:30 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Was the path to Camp Dodge on an old woods road?

Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:37 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Yes. Grassy with a worn foot path shortly after a small brook crossing.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:27 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Congratulations! We loved the Carters! Did you do the Wildcats yet? That's a real nice one, too. We did them as an overnight - Carters, then stayed at the hut, then the cats the next day. We came down the Pole Cat ski trail, which I'd highly recommend.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:14 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Congrats on a great hike. My wife and I almost followed in your footsteps today. I'll post a trip report later but we went up NMBT and Carter Dome to CMT. We hit Hight, Carter Dome and South Carter before returning the way we went in. Glad you enjoyed!

Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:09 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

EricS, did you pass a man heading toward South Carter wearing a black flat-brimmed hat, a tannish Mizpah hut shirt, black shorts, and a yellow backpack? If so, that was me.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:18 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Wow, that's not the loop I meant to suggest! Carter Notch and Mt Hight would have been the highlights in my experience. Sounds like you had a good time though, and 14 miles by 1:10 is something of a feat.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:49 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Hiker0200, sounds like we missed each other by a day. I was there on Saturday.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:01 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Whoops, didn't see the "Today" in your post.

If I can do this in 5 hours 55 minutes, I sure that I'm ready for the Bonds. Unfortunately, I won't be able to get up there for a couple weeks. Looks like I'll be hiking Pawtuckaway and the Uncanoonucs for a while!

Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:14 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Nice descriptive trail report, and 14.3 miles by lunch-time ... nicely done!

Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:52 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Nice report and congrats on passing the halway point on the 48. Mt. Hight is definitely worth the trip, not just the best view on the ridge but one of the best in the Whites IMO. The rest of the carter range left me undewhelmed, but a nice lolipop up through Carter Notch, check out the ponds, the Ramparts then Carter Dome and Hight and back down through Zeta Pass is a great trip by itself. Hits about everything worth seeing in the area if you ask me.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]