Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Trip Reprt: The Kinsmans! 12/10 
Master Mountaineer

Trip Reprt: The Kinsmans! 12/10
Another wonderful day to play in the mountains! DianeM, a USPO rural route carrier from Claremont; Chet, in data base marketing from Leominster; day hiker, a mask designer (Computer chips) from Beverly; FredS, a retired electrical engineer from Andover; PatrickK, a work exchange farm hand from Gilman, VT; Ghostdog, now on her 2nd round of the 48, and Magic, a hiker of the Whites who GPS's trails for a major map & magazine company joined together to hike the Kinsmans.

After filling our water and chatting with old friend, hut care taker and EMS employee Anthony, we hit the trail. Past the Fishin' Jimmy and Kinsman Pond and Ridge Trail Junction, one member made the difficult decision to turn back being tired and a bit cold. The huts have time and time again proven to be a hiker's haven to simply rest and warm the soul.

Great views at both peaks and the first time visiting the 2 summits for most in our group. We donned our head lamps about a half hour from the Hut, visited and rested around the woodstove for a half hour before our descent to our vehicles.

Dinner and a show at the famous Woodstock Inn followed this hike, which was much needed. Delicious! And me being a member the the Inn's Mug Club sure pays off bigtime. Or, rather saves bigtime!

Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:26 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Been busy with work this whole last week, but finally got a few pictures from this trip off my camera.

http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n129/chet_tidwell/Lonesome%20Lake/

As you can see from the lack of pictures from the top, I was the one that decided to turn back and return to the hut at Kinsman Junction. As with the prior week, I was still struggling on the steep parts, but this time I knew that if I went the next 0.8 miles and 400 feet, I'd be going slow enough that I would be cold when arrived at the top when it would then be time to stop. Even the short break at the junction with the rest of the group I was enough to start feeling the chill from my perspiration damp middle layer.

Instead I started back down Fishin Jimmy Trail and within a few minutes of faster hiking on my downhill legs I was warm again and before I knew it I was back at Lonesome Hut, sipping hot tomato soup from the new thermos I got and switching to a dry fleece top. While I would have enjoyed making the top, I instead enjoyed the lovely day and non-icy snow covered trail and later made it back to the cars just as it got dark (only needing my headlamp for the last half mile of Lonesome Lake Trail).

Chet

Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]