Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Trip Report: Arethusa & Frankenstein! 12/9 
Master Mountaineer

Trip Report: Arethusa & Frankenstein! 12/9
Saturday December 9th was a fantastic day to hike. More than half the parking lot was filled with cars when I arrived. Two men said they were with a group and started walking the R.R. tracks to merge with the Frankenstein Cliff Trail and their large group. How interesting!

AndyF, a software engineer from Raymond, NH; Ghostdog, on her 2nd round of the 48; and Magic, one who GPS's and hikes the Whites for a major map/magazine company on his 4th round of the 48, from Lancaster, NH. We took the Bemis Brook Trail to visit the beautiful Coliseum and Bemis Falls, took pix and continued our way up the hill back to the Arethusa Trail and a visit to this state's highest Falls. A couple we met at the other falls had the same idea and hiked up the hill to see this large waterfall as well.

The trail has changed recently and one must return back to a junction and continue on the new Arethusa-Ripley Falls trail. We were breaking trail in 4-6" of powder, on this remote trail linking the Falls when we heard voices coming in the distance. Two pleasant couples w/3 dogs were headed to Arethusa Falls, starting out at Ripley Falls. We chatted, then our groups went our separate ways.

On to the mysterious Frankenstein Cliff, named for a local artist, Godfrey N., whose work was once well known. There are 3 wonderful viewpoints in separate area on this most precipitous cliff. Thankfully the trail doesn't go up to the edge. There is even a trail named Falcon Cliff where Peregrines nested and spectacular views can also be found. We hiked down leaving stunning views and took pix at several locations where many long icicles were dripping over the sides of cliffs.

We noticed that the first large group stopped short of the many icicles thinking perhaps that the trail was going to be icy when it was not. As we approched the RR trestle bridge we spoke to 2 ice climbers returning from their day of adventure. An incredible beautiful hike just under 5 miles, moderate at only 1500' of elevation gain, with waterfalls, icicles, and a lot of views. One very "Special Place!"

Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:21 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Re: Trip Report: Arethusa & Frankenstein! 12/9
MtnMagic wrote:
On to the mysterious Frankenstein Cliff, named for a local artist, Godfrey N., whose work was once well known. One very "Special Place!"

Godfrey Nicolas Frankenstein was not a local artist. He was a German immigrant and lived in Springfield, Ohio in the 1800s.
He only painted the White Mountains.
Godfrey Nicolas Frankenstein Info
:lol:

Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:40 pm
Master Mountaineer

He must have spent a lot of summers in Crawford Notch where the locals knew him and the Fed & State adopted his name for the cliff on all maps. Great link Scenic to more info, that one can not see unless one becomes a subscriber member of AskArt. Can we use your user name & password? Please!
:D

Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:55 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

MtnMagic wrote:
Great link Scenic to more info, that one can not see unless one becomes a subscriber member of AskArt. Can we use your user name & password? Please!
:D

I am not a member of Askart.com, but you can see info about Godfrey Nicolas Frankenstein at the above link without becoming a member. You can view info in the research area of the page and also the biography info without joining.
I can see all this info at the link without joining.

I think the train trestle in that area was also named after him.
:lol:

Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:10 am
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Then how about this link:

Cow Hampshire link

Or this one:

Springfield Museum of art

It was pretty common during the 1800's for artists to make pilgrimages to the Whites on painting "sabattacals".

B.

Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]