Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Attempting 4 Osceolas - 12/9 
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Attempting 4 Osceolas - 12/9
It was a beautiful day on the Osceolas for PoisonIvy and me. We arrived at the trailhead nearly simultaneously and hit the trail to a half foot covering of fresh, light snow.

We had to switch to crampons as we neared the slide heading up to the East Peak. The ice was intermitant but was present in some spots that would have been very tricky to avoid. I switched to my new stabilicers soon after the slide but PI kept on her crampons for most of the rest of the day, mainly since the straps had frozen. Did I mention it was very cold?

Stopping to snack at the East Osceola cairn we met our first other hikers for the day, another Mass resident and his dog. They had appreciated following our tracks up the trail (especially following our short whack to ease the first stream crossing) and we had a short pleasant chat. They headed off as we got ready and we would see them again later as we neared the main summit.

The chimney was much to icy for us to ascend it comfortably so we used the bypass. I was surprised out how rough it was. Definitly glad to have checked it out.

We paused briefly at the site of the old fire tower, but there were no views so we continued on to the true summit and then further down past it. A little while later we were surprised to meet a guy coming up from the other way. Since Tripoli Rd was already closed we had not expected to encounter anyone coming up that way. We found the herd path starting point for the bushwhack over to Middle and West Osceolas and stopped for our lunchbreak.

We had received some emailed hints on how to procede to these rarely visited peaks. Unfortunately, with the cloud cover we were never able to spot the peaks in the distance. The herd path was sporadic at best and we must have ended up to far down off the ridge. We were soon in the thickest woods I had ever tried to push through. Lots of blowdowns to climb over and under, snow showering us from above, and eventually we were on the side of a very steep slope. At this point we decided to give up on the extra peaks, slowly worked our way uphill and then west until we encountered our tracks. What a relief!

Shortly after leaving the woods we encountered a pair of guys heading back out to Tripoli - they were exhausted from the long hike in from the gate!

Heading down we did a little glissading to avoid possible falls in theicier areas - boy that's fun! The trail seemed to go on and on and on...it's only a mile and a half from East to the Greeley Pond Tr, but it felt like four...luckily the cloud cover had dispersed some by then so we were treated to some nice views.

All in all it was a fun day. PoisonIvy wasn't able to add to her Trailwrights list, but was at least able to add the two main peaks to her fall list. East Osceola made for 45 of the 48 for me and my return to the main summit made for my 30th 4k this year. PI is alot of fun to hike with and I look forward to hitting the trails with her again someday.

Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:16 am
Master Mountaineer

I've studied and explored in the woods there and you bet it sure is thick stuff. Glad you made it out ok. Good Heavens guys!

Hikers walked the road to hike up the Mt Osceola Trail? Round trip that's about 8 miles + the 6.4 mile r.t. hike up to the first summit. Did you get their names? Super hikers. Holy Moley!!

Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:33 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

All I can say is WOW.

Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]