[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Hike-NH.com - View topic - The Most Hiked Mountain in the World! 6/9/13...Overrated ;-)

Click for Mount Washington, New Hampshire Forecast

Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Most Hiked Mountain in the World! 6/9/13...Overrated ;-) 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

The Most Hiked Mountain in the World! 6/9/13...Overrated ;-)
Actually I think it's said to be "one of the most" but the most sounds better. MT Monadnock.

Since Saturday's plan to work on the few peaks I need to finish my list was washed out I was looking at no hiking. I don't do long days on Sundays. But after awaking to a pretty great looking day on Sunday I started to look at maps. I wanted a decent climb, with views, and a reasonable drive. I was coming up with nothing. Then it dawned on me, Monadnock. I'd only climbed it twice before. First time was 1960'something and about 7 years ago on what turned out to be a crappy day. No photos of a Monadnock hike. So, I said what the hell. I knew it's not the place to be on a nice weekend day but thought I could deal with the crowds. To make it potentially worse, I decided to use the White Dot Tr. as it would make for the quickest hike.

I got there with #1 lot full and #2 lot filling fast. On trail at 10:00AM and in 5 minutes already on the heals of the masses. I was starting to utter the phase "mind if I sneak by" every couple minutes. This was just not going to work. I pulled out the map and saw a trail, Old Ski Path, would take me to the Red Spot Trail. It was only .2 miles and the Red Spot had to be better. I could not get there fast enough. I reached the Old Ski Path and was on the Red Dot in no time. Not a soul and complete silence. The Red Spot trail was nice. Rocky, a few scrambles, and some nice views from it. A bit creepy though. The trail stares at you. :shock:

I was moving along a pretty good pace with not having to play, dodge the tourist hikers. 8) Just before I reached the end of the Red Dot Trail I wanted to try my luck at finding Pumpelli"s Hut which was mentioned in a recent TR. No luck there but a cool view of the summit.

I poked around for maybe a half hour looking for that and came out at the last junction. Too distant to see what I was in for.

Then I was was close enough to see what everyone talks about when discussing Monadnock. The CROWDS. The other side had 3 times as many as in this photo.

The views from this mountain are OK, but distant views were fairly hazy. But what I like about the Whites is no matter what peak you climb you've big mountains all around. I like that better than the miles of basically flat (by comparison) you have from Monadnock. That's just my feeling. Nice though.

I pretty much just hit the 4 points of the compass for photos and did an immediate about face and heading back the way I'd come up. I'd thought about altering the decent to avoid the White Dot all together. But that meant more mileage and I really wanted as short a day as possible. Little did I know what was to come. Every pocket was full of water but made for some cool photos.

I was back on the White Dot trail about 1:00 PM. Now I'm dealing with just as many people heading down, as still heading up. I was starting to perhaps be a bit rude about the passing but it was ridiculous. People just standing there looking at the wet, muddy ,slick rocks wondering how on earth do I get down. The lower section of this trail is fairly steep and was very wet from Saturday. Between the people heading down and still up at this time of day, I say I had to bob and weave around 100 people in a half mile. The the unpreparedness I saw was like I'd never seen before. I passed the kiosk and didn't see it, but there must be a sign that reads like this.....

To all first time hikers:
Leave your backpacks, water, food, and extra clothing in the car. You will not need them. And flip-flops are the footwear of choice. If your kids are too tired to walk, just piggy-back them, it's easy. And by all means, of anyone you do see with a backpack, ask as many stupid questions as possible.
Thank-you. Have an unsafe hike.

That's all I have to say about that. :D

Last edited by JustJoe on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:15 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:37 am
Sovereign Woodsman

You are a brave man :wink: Mid-week, early in the morning in winter is probably the best time to climb Monadnock (and you'll probably still run into a bunch of people). At least you got some nice photos.

Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:00 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:17 am

Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:10 am

Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:26 am
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:11 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:15 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:42 am

Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:43 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:47 am
Master Mountaineer

Who needs actions when you got words?

Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:05 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:09 pm
Master Mountaineer

Nice report and great pictures. May me happy though we went when we did, maybe 6 people on the summit when we got there. I believe we only saw 2-3 people on the Pumpelly trail.
Oh Yeah the trail warning made me laugh out loud! :lol:

Completed Belknap 12 in June 2014
NH 92 Fire Tower List 92/92
Our Videos: www.youtube.com/WeRmudfun

Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:37 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

One of these days I would like to ride my bike from home to the mountain, hike to the summit, and ride home. Carrying boots on the bike will be interesting. The ride part is about 80 miles, round-trip.

Tim

Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:37 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

After reading your trip reports of less-visited places, I too was surprised to read that you went up White Dot... but at least you got away from everyone and varied your route.

If you think Monadnock is bad, go for a summertime hike up its little brother, Pack Monadnock. That mountain can also be very crowded, but not only with hikers- with cars. Yes, Pack Monadnock is the Mount Washington of southern NH, despite its modest elevation of 2,290 feet. An auto road, bathrooms at the summit, towers and buildings cluttering the top, awestrucken motorists (at the views and hikers) definitely make it so. I usually hike PM off-season, so I don't usually see all the crowds. But, after hiking it eleven times, I kind of want to drive up it (as odd as that may seem), but I have to have my transmission fixed... don't want to be halfway up or down the road and have the tranny blow sky high.

Back to Monadnock- when I hiked it in July '11, upon getting back to the TH, I saw a line of 100-150+ people heading up the mountain. So yea, it deserves its nickname.

NEFF: 31/50
NEHH: 75/100

Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next