Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 11-11-06 Whiteface and Passaconway 
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

11-11-06 Whiteface and Passaconway
This is my first trip report, so forgive me if it's not what it should be; but it will be brief.

Mountain Magic lead myself, Ron from central Mass, and Bob and Diane from Claremont on a loop of Whiteface and Passaconway via the Blueberry Ledge, Rollins, and Dicey Mill trails.

The weather was sunny and very warm with no evidence of the recent snow and ice until near the summits, where there were odd eight inch patches lurking behind trees and rocks. The trails were surprisingly dry; all the snow and ice had to go somewhere but it had apparently already went.

There was traffic on the route with an AMC group as well as several others which lead to some comingling on Whiteface. The footing was excellent, the rocks on the Whiteface scrambles were clear and dry, and except for an afternoon haze, the (false) summit views were quite fine.

No special gear was required for this hike and cold weather/winter gear in fact burdened our packs for the non-seasonal conditions. The shortness of the day meant we finished the hike by headlamp, dry and without incident, and we will all live to hike another day. Preferably with lots of snow and ice, snowshoe and crampon use, and all the stuff we had packed away in our packs and cars.

Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:10 pm

Great TR Ollerman!

Trail conditions are really important to know this time of year as it gives others the most up to date info.

I thought Whiteface was surprising nice...Passaconway wasn't (except for the cool outcrop before the summit!)

Thanks and congrats!
Bill

Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:48 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Was my awesome snowman still up there?

http://www.hoosactunnel.net/nonhoosac/N ... 10040.html

or was he rendered into a pile of twigs?

Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:07 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Marc, there were twigs aplenty but not enough snow to fill a milk carton, in man form or otherwise. Fortunately you thought to take a picture and the next time I make a snowman on a summit, I'll make him a little brother.

Bill, thank you. Today a small group did Mt. Hale and somebody else is going to write a report.

Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:47 pm
Master Mountaineer

Marc, sadly your excellent snowman melted. The good news is soon you can create another one!

We hiked with my friends from the NH AMC Chapter after we waited on the lowest blueberry ledge and continued to hike with them on the first section of this hike up to the summit of Whiteface. Hiking and delightfully chatting with us was good ol' Cantdog, PeteH from Canada, Frank and his lovely wife Claudia McG from Scotland (you remember Frank from last winter's hike to Cannon with SherpaJohn, Drew et al), Page, Darcy, John, Dave, Melissa, Bob, Prudy, Janet, & DougH. In our group most know our hiking member as rocksnroll.

Who would have ever imagined hiking in just t-shirts in the mountains in mid November. Another day of fun to play in the mountains!

Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:09 pm
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

There's no such thing as a bad trip report Ollerman, thanks for posting!

Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:18 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

I am saddened to hear that, I should have built a bigger one! Too bad I had no gloves!

Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:29 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

And maybe out of granite, too. You could call him "Cairn." And he'd never melt.

Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:27 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Yes indeed, another great hike in the Whites. It was nice to make new friends and see a couple old ones as well. I loved the rocky parts of the Blueberry Ledges and will look forward to returning there some day.

I have a question: on the Least Prominant Named Peaks list is mentioned a "Whiteface II" at just under 4000 feet. Would that be the false summit?

Ollerman, I was very impressed by your fortitude in taking up mountain climbing despite your health issues. I'm sure many others in your place would have given up and ended up bed-ridden. You the man!

Ron

Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:37 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Ron, it was a nice hike, and it was good to meet you. I'm nothing to be impressed by, dude. When you get hurt all you can do is either pack it in or forge ahead but that's not news. I was joking with a friend whom I just reconnected with after a few years and I told him by rights I should be a three hundred pound couch potato. But no, life isn't fair and I'm compelled to try to get healthy. If I could just get my wife to allow me to have a little neck surgery, the process might speed up. A lot.

Anyway, I hope I'll see you again on another hike. Take care...

Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:03 am
Master Mountaineer

rocksnrolls wrote:
...I have a question: on the Least Prominant Named Peaks list is mentioned a "Whiteface II" at just under 4000 feet. Would that be the false summit?...

That is Whiteface with #11 as a footnote! WOC & AMC list the true summit as 4020'. The USGS and some other maps list it as 3994'. The lower false summit with the super views from the ledges has the "white face" and is more visible from Bearcamp River Valley.

Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:05 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

MtnMagic wrote:
rocksnrolls wrote:
...I have a question: on the Least Prominant Named Peaks list is mentioned a "Whiteface II" at just under 4000 feet. Would that be the false summit?...

That is Whiteface with #11 as a footnote! WOC & AMC list the true summit as 4020'. The USGS and some other maps list it as 3994'. The lower false summit with the super views from the ledges has the "white face" and is more visible from Bearcamp River Valley.

ohhh, I see. So I guess I can claim it as having been bagged then :)

Here's a link to my shots from the hike:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/555605595lMiyfn

Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:40 pm
Master Mountaineer

You bagged all 3! Even Whiteface11

Very nice albums with all sorts of excellent goodies, mountains, friends, fun and dogs. I didn't realize until now how many pix you took just that day. Super, Super pix!!

Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:51 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

thanks, glad you liked the pictures. One of these days I need to start captioning them...yeah right :)

Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:53 pm
Master Mountaineer

Of course, when others join your pix site, they may add captions. To save you all that time!
:wink: :)

Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]