Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Trip Report: Bridal Veil Falls 10-29-06 
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Trip Report: Bridal Veil Falls 10-29-06
I got out of bed on Sunday morning around 5:45. This tends to be early for me, especially considering I had a Halloween party the night before, but at least daylight savings time helped out with a little extra sleep. It’s a bit of a drive from central Massachusetts where I live, but the miles rolled by quickly. I stopped around 8:00 in Lincoln to get some breakfast and a new parking sticker. The clouds where quite low up ahead and sure enough it started snowing as I drove through Franconia Notch. But as it can often be in the mountains, it started to clear up passing Cannon Ski Area and turned into a beautiful overcast day by the time I arrived at the Coppermine Trail Parking Lot a little past nine.

There were several people there already, some who had arrived early after some daylight savings confusion. At least it’s better when the clock is set back an hour in that you don’t show up an hour late and miss things. By 10:00 when the hike was scheduled to start, around 15 of us were ready to head up the road toward Bridal Veil Falls.

The trail follow a development road back for the first half mile, passing a few side roads that are ignored until the trail heads off to the left down an old road. It travels through the woods for the next half mile till it joins up with the Coppermine Brook. For the rest of the hike the trail stays close to the brook, with various interesting spots to stop and take a picture or enjoy the view of the water cascading over the rocks. These include a spot nice swimming location during the summertime where you can see the iron pegs in the stone were a bridge use to cross the brook at that point.

With the wind and rain the day before, there were a few trees that had fallen down, but for the most part, the only thing one had to look out for on the trail was not stepping in any water in the sections of the trail that had small streams of water flowing down the path. The trail had easy grades for the most part, with only a few steeper sections that were no more that 50 yards at a time. I tended to be in the back of the group as I am a little out of shape and was carrying more in my pack that was actually needed for the hike, but it was still good exercise.

As our destination approached, the trail crosses a wooden bridge and follows the other bank of the brook to a shelter just below the falls. From there we hoped across a few stones to get to the base of the falls where we took some pictures. Several people scrambled up the hill to the left of the falls to get a better look at the upper section. Eventually we got together for a group shot then headed back to the shelter to have lunch.

After we had a bite to eat, we headed back to our vehicles. On the way back we stopped at a spot along the river where a plaque in memory of Betty Davis’s 2n d husband is on a stone along the river. After stopping to hear the story and take a few pictures, we continued on our way.

The weather the whole day was fairly good with the trees cutting down most of the wind and only the occasional sprinkling of snow. We made good time and arrived back at the parking lot at 1:45. While there was some talk of doing another short hike, it was decided to call it a day while some people headed over to a Chinese restaurant in Woodstock for some more food and drinks. Thanks to MtnMagic for setting up and leading this trip and to everyone else who showed up. Hope to see many of you again at future hikes. I’ll post some picture later when I get them online.

Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:28 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Here are a few pictures:

http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n129/chet_tidwell/Bridal%20Veil%20Falls/

Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:20 am

Hey Chet,

Very sorry I didn't make this one. I was hoping too since my other plans were canceled.
Looks like it was a great time.
Thanks for sharing!
Bill

Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]