Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Trip Report: Franconia Ridge 10-14-06 
Master Mountaineer

Trip Report: Franconia Ridge 10-14-06
A quick, mini t.r.:
Saturday had warm, sunny weather, low wind, a dusting of snow above 3800', and two small patches of ice. Emily, Michele, Jeanne, Vrej, Dave, Ghostdog and I saw stunning views on one of the very finest hikes in all the Whites. We were not alone as more than 175 hikers walked from both directions on the ridge. This count courtesy of the AMC's Franconia Ridge Mountain Steward, who explained to hikers about the rare alpine flowers and plants, petrology, and leave no trace principles.

"xstickfightx" from this site met us and introduced himself as well as Bill S. We visited the Greenleaf Hut on the next to the last day it will be open this year and had rest, re-filled our water, used their facilities, had great fellowship, and asked about the mountain 'tarn.' I struck up a conversation with a couple of men near a group of 11 students. They mentioned they were from an outdoor outing club in Alton. That sounded way too familiar. So I asked, "Do you know SherpaJohn?" "Yes," they answered, "He's a teacher at our school!" Small world, indeed.

To see the views from Franconia Ridge once is to become permanently hooked on this fantastic lolly-pop hike. Any day you can get some views is a great day to hike Franconia Ridge!

Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]