[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Hike-NH.com - View topic - Jackson, Pierce and Ike

Click for Mount Washington, New Hampshire Forecast

Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Jackson, Pierce and Ike 
Sovereign Woodsman

Jackson, Pierce and Ike
This was my first time using my bike as a way to get back to my car. Stashed my bike at the Edmunds path in the woods(more on this later). Parked across the street from the Webster-Jackson trailhead (Wheee! no fee). As i was double checking my gear before i put my boots on the trail, i noticed one big screwup. No Boots! Knowing it was raining for the past few days up here, the rocks/trails were bound tobe watery/rivery, I headed up to at least Jackson. Damned if i was to drive 3 hours to be stopped by having sneakers that would double as racing slicks(they certainly were comfortable).

Sneakers on the ground at about 9:20ish Made it to the sign where the trail splits to either Jackson and decided to break out the cashews. I've never really had a wildlife experience up here yet aside from seeing rabbit trails in the winter or hearing the chipmunks squeak at me. This was my first time experiencing the Grey Jays. These guys didn't care, they gave me photo ops in exchange for nuts. They were landing on me and eating out my hand. I couldn't stop laughing for a few minutes. Good times!. On the bright side of having no boots, my feet were light as a feather, and things were great as long as i took the long, careful route up small rocky areas.

Really only got cold at the summit of jackson about 11:38ish. The sweat on my shirt quickly made my temps go down. Some other hikers took my pic and moved on, bypassing two other dudes on the way towards Mizpah. Heading across the bog bridges and slipping in an embarrassing way. I learned my lesson not to forget my boots. The slippage without my vibram soles would be a constant reminder all day honestly.

Mizpah was honestly vacant, one of the croo was chilling on his macbook playing flash games or whatever. Grabbed a lemonade and did my business and moved towards Pierce. I don't think anyone said one word to me.

Iv'e been to Pierce earlier this year with my nephew and the views were just as fantastic then as they were now. Washington was still bashful though and his behind the clouds. I took a group of four's picture and moved along.

Right after Pierce, there was a couple wondering what mountains they were looking at, after a few words and smiles I pointed out what theywere wondering. This is where i saw the most people, about 2:30 in the afternoon. One guy had his ipod headphones on and was taking pictures, i was three feet away from him before he noticed me. A couple with a rottie with no leash, friendly big doggie. A lone early twenty something woman. Washington came out with all his antennae in full glory. Really that mountain looks much better from this angle than the auto road or anywhere else. Maybee not the great gulf, but Washington looks massive from here.

At about 3:30 I made it to Ike, the massive Cairn and the magnificent 360 views. No one else on the summit. It wasn't too windy, id say around 20ish MPH, enough to make it cool. After a good meal and relaxation taking in everything this summit had to offer, I headed down.

Near the trailhead of the Edmunds path, i began to see the reflections of the cars through the trees. Great! Well, not so great, i saw my bike lying in the woods like 10 feet from the trail.... With all the dead leaves, in the morning i didn't see the trail with all the leaves on the ground. Pretty much facepalmed myself. No one messed with it, my bike was locked anyway. I took off and saw a few people i had seen in the cols between pierce and Ike and gave them a quick wave. My cheap 50 lb bike with my 25 lb pack and my 210 lb body, pretty much just took off down hill. Passed a car and made it back to my car a few minutes past 5 o clock just east of the highland center train station. a walk that would have taken me maybe about an hour just took me approx 10 minutes. (really didnt measure this, saw my bike and headed for the homeward stretch).

A Great day despite my boots and moronic bike stash spot. Crawford Notch was looking amazing, if not a touch past peak. On the way home, if you didn't realize Lafayette place was a campground, you'd think there was a forest fire. The holiday weekend was bumpin' there.

anyway, pics are here for those interested for a late TR
https://picasaweb.google.com/1180504435 ... directlink

Edit:

Oh, yeah!
1: DON'T forget your footwear!
2: DO check the careful placement of a bike stash!

Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:07 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Great report, glad you managed to still pull it off in sneakers. I once carpooled to Smarts Mountain with my friend Brian ("New Hampshire" on this site). When I got there I realized I had thrown two left-foot boots into the back of his car - I had two pairs in my trunk when we met at the carpool lot, it was dark, and I stupidly grabbed one shoe from each pair because they looked similar. It was too wet and muddy for me to do the hike in sneakers so we just drove back. Stupidest thing I ever did.

Those Gray Jays sure bring a smile to your face when you first encounter them. Give it about 10 more encounters, though, and you may want to strangle the greedy little things. I was up on Jackson a few weeks ago and one of them swooped down and took an uninvited bite of my sandwich. :lol:

Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:18 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Well my feet were lighter due to the sneakers. One the guys at the top of jackson called the "damn tbievs". Lol. I could see how they could be. They are just doing what they do, grab food. Id guess id do the same thing in their position. Oh well. Fun to at least have a "wildlife experience" ou there

Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:25 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

I have yet to experience the gray jays, but a Crawford Notch loop is on my short list so I'll have to remember to tote some bird treats. I've seen pics of them landing on a finger, and grabbing a pic of that would really amaze my non-hiking friends.

Nice pics - I have yet to go south of Eisenhower, so always enjoy getting a preview of virgin territory.

I like the bike spot idea, may have to give that a try next year.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:10 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:23 am
Sovereign Woodsman

My Trip Reports:

Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:33 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Nice report and pics. Colors still look pretty nice when you did this, especially around the cascades and in the notch. Bike spotting is a great way to get in some different routes when you don't want a long road walk or have a car spot. I don't think to do it nearly enough. I'm not sure my bike doesn't need new tires from lack of use lately anyways. Guess I should check it out.

I've only forgot my boots once that I can remember, and I decided to do Hale, which I managed with a combo of flip flops and bare feet. Not the most pleasant hiking experience for sure. I've heard of people going barefoot by choice and I just don't see that as being much fun.

Those gray jays are definitely bold as mentioned and they clearly don't travel far either. Always in the same spots. Willey, Jackson and Waumbek are the places I've seen them repeatedly. They'll eat just about anything too. Nuts, bread, crackers, candy...one even stole a bit of my kids pbj&f when we were up on Jackson a couple years ago. They're neat and unique and not quite as annoying as you might think. Kids love them too, and i know you shouldn't feed wild animals and I'm contributing to the "problem" if you want to call it that but IMO if they're going to just steal it anyways when you're not on guard and eat all the dropped stuff you may as well just give them a little nibble so you get something out of it too. Like a cool picture or a fun memory if you have kids with you.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:40 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:24 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Granite guy, the pics of your kid and wfre are great! Must be awesome seeing the interaction between them and the bird. The fascination.

I use my girlfriends older Nikon D40 DSLR. I used an 18-55mm lens. I could and wish I did bring the 55-200mm lens. Iput the camera in a fellows camera bag that I loop around the top hangle on my pack to keep it off my neck. But the ca pack keeps it nice and prtected against brushing against the terrain. Depending on what I'm doing, ill flop the cam pack off to the side or I can snug the straps around the side of the pack and it keeps it from flopping around. If I know I'm taking pics, ill keep it tucked on my chest beneath the chest strap on the pack. If that makes sense.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:35 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Also sometimes in a pinch ill take videos with my cellphone (sidekick 4g). I keep that on with the radios off to preserve battery power. On an 8 hour hike taking pics and vids, with the radios off, ill still end up with 95%+ battery power.

On my mt. Washington hike I forgot the DSLR. So I borrowed a nikon something or other point and shoot and my cellphone. Don't care too much about losing cellphone power cause I have t mobile and there is just about 0 service out there anyway. A good pic is a good pic no matter what you use. I took about 90 pics on my last trip and about 40 were worth keeping. Some were just repetative and I took the best of what I had. there were some that I wish came out better but I'm not extremely skilled at using the DSLR.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]