[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Hike-NH.com - View topic - Mine Falls Park Loop

Click for Mount Washington, New Hampshire Forecast

Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Mine Falls Park Loop 
Sovereign Woodsman

Mine Falls Park Loop
Mine Falls Park in Nashua is a nice set of trails right in the center of the city. There are several nice loops with a few different access points for parking. There isn't any real elevation gain to speak of, but it does provide a nice, local walk in the woods. I haven't been out hiking at all for a couple of weeks and I want to try and stay in decent shape for when I am able to return to the mountains. Sunday, I had the morning to myself and decided to head over to Mine Falls.

The road where I usually park was FILLED with cars. At first I thought an abnormally large amount of people were checking out foliage, but then I realized there was a soccer tournament at the fields on this road. At the end of the road, I headed west on the Yellow Trail toward the highway. After passing under the highway this becomes the Red Trail which I followed all the way to the gatehouse. I decided to carry a full pack with all my overnight gear, just to add some weight and give myself a good workout. The first section of trail is a paved path which changes to a packed dirt footbed right behind Nashua South High School. Continuing along the canal and around Mill Pond the trail has a few minor climbs and some rooty sections. Finally the trail reaches the football stadium and swings around toward the Nashua River Gatehouse and Dam.

I headed up the green trail for a short segment, then continued off trail down toward the Nashua River, just below the Dam. It is fairly easy to find "herd paths" and follow them along the river in this section. For the next several miles I had the trail to myself. I followed along the river northward, enjoying some nice foliage in places until I was nearly back at the highway. Here, I re-joined the Green Trail, passed under the highway and immediately turned left onto another unmarked path.

This last segment of my loop follows along the highway down to the river and then continues around the old water treatment facility (now soccer fields) following the river back to the south. There are some nice signs scattered in this part of the parks that point out different types of trees and shrubs. It adds a nice educational aspect to the hike. I finished the loop around the Blue Trail and came back to the footbridge and headed up Whipple St to my car.

It was nice to just get out and hike again. The loop that I did ended up being about 6 miles, but the park has lots of smaller loops in the 1-2 mile range. Here are some pics, my route is highlighted in orange:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1091979807 ... directlink

Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:41 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Very nice. The foliage looks great over your way and that mirror like water is amazing. I've become a big fan of these smaller local hikes since I had kids. Even without them coming along they make nice quick trips, especially during the foliage season.

Id much rather get out like that than spend the afternoon watching the junk on tv. Patriots are an exception to that junk thing of course, although I've even started recording them for later or listening on the radio more and more the last couple years too.

Did anyone see you slugging around a 50 lb pack and ask what's up? I bring a bigger pack than most and dress like I'm off for a big hike usually even on small stuff and get some funny looks from people strolling around in jeans and sneakers. I always feel like they're wondering if I'm lost. And on Agamenticus the other day I ran a good portion of the trails so I was sweating pretty good and everyone was staring like man this guy is out of shape if this little hike has soaked him and taken his breath away like that! :D

Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:16 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

There is, or was, a jar on the high point of the park. Did you find it? You were kind of close, based on your orange track. I've ridden my MTB/CX bikes there a lot, and I've snowshoed and XC skied as well, as I have worked in Nashua for a good portion of my professional career.

Tim

Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:36 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:11 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:12 am
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

I walk that route from my house several times a day. Recently moved back to NAshua and do a 3.5 mile loop from the house to the dam back past the hich school, highway and back to the house. Nice quite area right in the city.
Nice pics of the area

Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:47 pm
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

Columbus day soccer tournament! When I was a kid I always looked forward to it. I've spent many a day/weekend at those soccer fields and used to use the trails to get to different parts of the city on the BMX bike :D

Congrats on getting out. Good luck in the coming weeks/days :D

Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]