Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Lost Pond 
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Lost Pond
Columbus day was an supurb day to drive through the White Mountains with the highlight of the day being a stop at Pinkham Notch camp and a short walk to Lost Pond. My parents were visiting for the long weekend and on the drive to the trailhead they pointed out the irony of the situation. 30 years ago when they would be planning a hike, they would look for destintations that would be that would be easy enough for me (5-7 years old at the time) and that today we were heading for a walk that I had planned that would be easy enough for them.

Parking at the visitor center, we crossed route 16 to the trailhead a few yards down the road from the parking lot entrance. We passed through a small marshy area before crossing a bridge over the Ellis River and turning south to follow the river. The path follows the river until we were about halfway to Lost Pond. Both me and my father had digitial cameras with us, so we took plenty of time taking pictures along the way.

Leaving the river, the path gradually climbed up through the woods and a short while later we were at the North end of the Pond. We followed path along the edge of the lake to some rocks where we took a break and enjoyed the views of Mt. Washington with not a cloud in the sky. From time to time you could see the glint off of the windshields of cars driving up as well as smoke from the Cog Railroad.

After traveling to te South end of the lake, my parents went back to the rocks while I walked down to the Wildcat Ridge Trail about a fourth of a mile from the south end of the lake. The paths goes around, over and through some rocks, past a small pond and follows the stream out of Lost Pond all the way to the junction.

The were a fair number of people on the trail, though probably fewer than on Sunday. In the hour and a half we spent walking, we passed about 10 groups of people with 2-4 people in each. Still, it was lovely day and we had a great time. A few pictures can be found below:

http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n129/chet_tidwell/Lost%20Pond/

Chet

Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:40 pm

Great report Chet, but even better pictures!

Not evey hike has to be a mountain top and this just proves that there are incredible scenic areas that require a visit, and this looks to be a great family hike.

Thanks for sharing!
Bill

Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:45 am
Master Mountaineer

Great hike Chet and welcome! A very nice t.r. with fine pix. A perfect 10!

Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]