Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Trip Report for Mt. Adam and Madison! 
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Trip Report for Mt. Adam and Madison!
I spent a few days trying to decide, do I hike with people I never met before or not? After looking over the trails and junctions for Adams and Madison, it all seemed a little overwhelming, so I thought I might as well join in and go with people who had been on these trails before. Well that was one deciding factor and the other was how can you pass on what promised to be a great fall day in the mountains?
I got up at five to make the long drive up north, started out in the dark but soon enough the sun came up and the foggy patches started to be less and less. It was a promising start to the day, temps were in the thirties and climbing by the hour. Saw some turkeys here and there along the way, no moose, no deer.

I stopped by Lowes Country Store, seeing that I was early for the trailhead and chatted for a while with the woman working the store. Warmed up by the fire she was tending to, got some chocolate for the trail and headed for the parking lot.

I was kind of surprised by the amount of people there, all getting ready for the hike ahead. Turns out most were part of an AMC hike. Not my group, hmmm, so where are the people I'm to meet here? Well I knew that MtnMagic was the trail leader and no red car or black dog in sight yet, so I got myself ready and sat on a rock in the sun. Soon enough MtnMagic arrives, I met Arnie and Chris and GhostDog, everyone seems nice enough! :D We start on the trail (the plan is to hike Valley Way to Scar, then up Airline) at 8:20 right behind the rather large AMC group. MtnMagic and the trail leader of this group know each other, so there is some chatting for a while, but soon we make some distance, knowing we'll see them here and there. It is such a beautiful day, the trail starts out with a gentle climb and the pace is just right. I had worried about keeping up or slowing others down, but everyone assures me that they are in no rush to run up the mountain, we are to enjoy the trail and the company. And that is exactly what we do, the conversation is interesting and varied, before we know it we are breaking into some views. When we finally break out of treeline the view before us is breathtaking! The mountains before us are coated with sparkling white rime ice on the foliage. We spend some time taking pictures ( we thought some of the grasses looked like white coral) and a quick break before tackling the rocks ahead. The beauty of the views are a bit distracting, hard to keep your eyes on the rocks beneath your feet. The sun peeks out here and there from the clouds, giving some warmth, although we manage to create some of our own working the trail. When we reach the summit, we are pleasantly surprised to find little wind. We are able to spend more time than we thought we would, talking, eating, taking pictures, admiring the amazing views and meeting others that are coming from all different directions. We were blessed with one of those great fall days, couldn't think of a better way to spend it than at the top of a mountain! We watch the progress of the AMC group and when they arrive that is our cue to hit the trail again, as the summit is now getting a bit crowded.

Going down Adams was a bit slow and tricky due to the wet and slippery rocks. Well it was for me anyways, it seemed to pose no problem for Arnie or Chris (Arnie had left the summit ahead of us, Chris made good time in catching up to him). Magic and I tracked their progress as we carefully picked our way down those treacherous rocks. At one point Magic gave a shout out to Arnie "Go faster!"(maybe he really meant
me! :) ) and we were all rewarded with an echo bouncing back off of Washington! Pretty cool!
We caught up with Chris at Madison Hut, another pit stop for refueling and pictures. Leaving our packs behind at the hut, we began the short climb to the summit of Madison. Arnie passed us by going down, he was on cruise control! We made the summit, took some pictures, saw that the clouds were rolling in- time to make our way down.

Again the company and the conversation helped to make the descent more pleasant, at least it kept your mind from totally focusing on how much your knees might be hurting! Plans for future trips were thrown around, as it always seems to be, not even off the mountain yet and already looking ahead to the next one!

As the sun started to set, we picked up our pace a bit, still managing to grab a quick peek at the waterfalls on our way. We arrived at the parking lots with minutes of daylight left to spare, said our goodbyes to a day well spent. Time for a good meal and a hot shower! Thanks to MtnMagic for giving me the honor of writing this trip report, writing it is like reliving the trip- lots of good memories. Hope there are more!

Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:20 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Good job Karen!

Those are two spectacular peaks, huh!? I absolutely loved being able to sit on Madison, not a soul in sight (the 35 MPH winds saw to that) and marveled at Adams, Jefferson and Washington to the right, and the Moriah/Carters/Wildcats the backdrop to the Great Gulf. The cars going up the auto road looked like little ants glinting in the sun :lol: !

Hope you get many more wonderful days! Here is to happy and safe trails! Cheers!

Brian

Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:50 pm
Master Mountaineer

Well done!!
Wow! You have an excellent way with words. Can we go on many different hikes and you may re-live them by writing t.r.'s so the readers can live them!
:D

From this mornings Odyssey, a list of scheduled hikes sent to folks: Adams & Madison were incredible! Karen, Arnie, Cris, ghostdog and I delighted in one of the finest hiking days and hikes of the year. Warm, sunny weather with spectacular 360 degree views greeted us and the many hikers on the trail and on the summit. We spend an enjoyable hour gazing at the world from the 5799' summit of Adams. By a mere 15 minutes I missed my hiking friends MEB, arm, Frodo, giggy et al. We did have the pleasure to have a long talk with my old friend Bob, (hikerB) and the group of 12 hikers from the AMC he was leading to the summit.

We continued on to Madison Hut, now closed until June, dropped our packs, and 'slack packed' for the half hour trip up to the summit. More fantasic views we delighted in during our half hour visit to the 5366' summit. This makes my 3rd time completing the 48, ghostdog's 2nd, both completed in under 6 months this year. Cris is up to 46/48 (Monroe & Washington remain. And his 48 will be completed in under 6 months also. Way to go!), Arnie is now 39/48 (today we hiked the Tripyramids!) and Karen approaches the magical half way mark at 23/48! I believe it is fair to call them 'serious hikers'!! Karen wrote to say she is working on the trip report and it should be posted on the hike-nh website by tonight. And it is!

Sadly we met 5 ill-prepared hikers a half mile or so below the tent platforms on Valley Way. They were sitting down resting, dressed in full cotton, and had brand new WalMart heavy tents and sleeping bags. They did not know rain was forecast for Sunday and said they were doing a Presi traverse! We explained they had too much un-needed and way too heavy gear. We trust they took the hint and the young women convinced the young men that their comfort and safety outweighed their goal. We hope for the best and for their safety.

Many Blessings!!

Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:20 pm
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Great read Karen, thanks for sharing. More please! :)

Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:26 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Hope to hike these two again, well I should say that I will plan on hiking these two again! Fall is my favorite time of year to hike, but I may try to go up a different time of year, hmmmm, could this be a goal, hike each mountain in each season?! :D

Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:28 pm
Master Mountaineer

A fine goal too and to see the same views from each mountain in each season is breath-taking!

One hiker I know has climbed the 48 in each month of the year. He's been hiking many years. Hikes to Owl's Head, 18 miles, sometimes every other Wednesday!
:D

Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]