Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Rockgoddess in the Dry River Wilderness 
Master Mountaineer

Rockgoddess in the Dry River Wilderness
The goal was 3 days hiking 9/22-24 in the wilderness culminating with Rockgoddess finishing #48 on Isolation on her 48th birthday. This turned out to be an interestinginteresting weekend in the Dry River Wilderness with Rockgoddess, Claudia, Maddy, Matisse, Stanley, and Ghostdog. A 10:30 meet time at Davis Path, Friday morning had come and gone. At 12:30, I ate a great Subway sub originally packed for the trip. Shortly after a vehicle arrives with ladies waving. Who is this? Why it is Rockgoddess et al! The auto dealership delayed an early appointment and even a simple inspection. Rockgoddess forgot her tent and had to return home for it. Just a common snafu on a beautiful, sunny Friday afternoon.

We hugged, a fine way to meet each other, then discussed the most important point, the weather forecast. I checked the WCAX forecast out of Burlington Vermont, the Mount Washington Observatory higher elevation weather forecast and 3 of the other internet sites which all concluded Sunday's forecast to be: "Summits mainly in the clouds with showers and t-storms likely. Highs: 40's. Temps falling into the 30s°F. Wind: Increasing to 50 to 70 from the NW with higher gusts. Tonight: Summits mainly in the clouds, some clearing towards morning. Lows: Around 30°F. Wind: NW 50 to 70 mph, decreasing late."

T-storms predicted on an open ledge summit and 3+ miles on the open Montalban Ridge did not appeal to us, so we decided to change our plans to fit the weather. At 2:05 we hit the Dry River Trail. I started tracking our journey that my hiking and mapping job dictates utilizing the new Motorola i860. A few simple button strokes and we start to leave breadcrumbs. Our shortened two day adventure begins. We reached the 'boarded closed' suspension bridge and decided to rock hop across.

After I crossed, I removed my backpack and re-crossed to help Claudia, who had difficulty. I donned her pack, and started re-crossing, slipped on a wet rock, and ever so slowly fell into the river. The current is very strong and the water is very cold. I almost broke my wrist and may have fractured it. We continued on until about an hour before sunset and found the perfect level spot to camp for the night down by the river. Saturday, we agreed the journey was so much more important than the destination. Rockgoddess & I hiked to visit the Dry River Falls and Shelter #3. We returned, broke camp, and headed out. With the mountains socked we decided to not summit Isolation. It will be there patiently waiting. And so will the spectacular views to be seen on Montalban Ridge!

Last edited by MtnMagic on Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:39 pm

Hey Magic,

A couple of Double Bags and the wrist will feel fine again!

Very sorry that Rockgoddess didn't hit her 48th, but the good news is that you'll have to do it again!

Stay dry,
Bill

Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:15 pm
Master Mountaineer

We think alike. Guess what I had a few of as soon as I got home!
:D
We'll do it again and have already seen interest from others that wish to join us. This is one nice wilderness, the waterfall and the shelter make great POI (features) along the way. Then there's the open summits of Isolation, Davis, and the entire Montalban Ridge. Give me the views, please!

Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]