Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Bonds Blitz 9/16/2006 

Bonds Blitz 9/16/2006
Myself, Sonic, Bob from BobandGeri, Rocksnrolls, MtnMagic, Arnie and Dougeh completed this traverse this past Saturday.

We started the hike about 20 minutes late at 5:50 am at the Zealand Road Parking Lot. We donned headlamps and made our way single file up the the trail. It was interesting to look back and see the headlamps bobing up and down the trail making their way along the treadway. Soon the sunrise allowed us to stow the lamps.

Sunrise also allowed us to see moose tracks on the trail. Just after the S-Bridge, we stopped to take some photos of a pond alongside the trail when Rocksnrolls spied a moose that was hidden at the far end of the pond. Our voices must have spooked the moose, as it stood up and gazed at us for a few moments. It quickly turned tail, went up the bank and stealthy drifted into the woods. It was a really neat site to see and we moved along much more slowly until we got to the hut in hopes of seeing another one.

Zealand Hut was our first destination and we ironically got there as breakfast was being served. We did not stay long and began the climb up to Zeacliff. I got to hike much of this section alone as we spread out along the trail and it was nice to just let my mind wander in the solitude.
Zeacliff was a nice rest stop and the undercast was ever so slightly releasing it's grip on the peaks. We were in for a great visual day for sure.

The Twinway from Zeacliff to Zealand was one of my favorite sections of this hike. I always like to amble along high wooded ridgelines. There are several sections of fir waves along this route with are nice to travel through. The section was however quite muddy and you really had to watch where you were going at times.

Mt. Zealand was Mt. Zealand. Pretty uneventful. We soon moved on and made our way to to the alpinezone of Mt Guyot. Here the undercast was giving up it's grip and we got some really awesome views around the Pemi.

The jewels of the trip, The Bonds, were next up. West Bond was quite the perfect hangout. I'll certainly come back here solo some time to just sit here and have some peace and quiet to myself. We stopped for about 15 minutes on Bond, mostly just for pictures, and then progessed down the Ridgeline to BondCliff. Many hikers on this section were enjoying the day. I paused for about five minutes in the col of Bond and Bondcliff to just soak in the views. Getting to the summit of Bondcliff, there was a rather large group at the cliff outlook. We later figured out that it was a memorial service for someone.

We stopped and ate a brief lunch and admired the Pemi. Around 1:30, we started the trip down and I hiked with Rocknrolls for much of this section. We spoke of his future peakbagging plans, trails we had taken in the Whites and our summer trips so far. Along the way we ran into Hikerfast, who was hoping to catch us at the summit of Bondcliff. The stream crossings on the way down were basically rock hops and no problem at all.

Soon we emptied out onto the Wilderness trail and began the long walk back to Lincoln Woods. Rocksnrolls and I reached the finish line at 4:50 which made our trip completed in 11 hours even. Sonic had finished 15 minutes before us and Bob a half hour before Sonic. MtnMagic, Arnie and Dougeh finished an hour an ten minutes after Rocknrolls and I did. The Blitz was complete!

Photos are here under the September 20th Caption of Bonds Blitz

http://silentcal.spaces.live.com/

Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:34 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Ill admit Bond and Bondcliff sure had that great charm.....but West Bond was indeed the gem of the three! Its a shame we never did get to see ya guys that day. I was sick as a dog after pushing too hard to Guyot and could have used some friendly faces to cheer me up.

B.

Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]