Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Little Haystack - Falling Waters Trail - What is this? 
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

ScenicNH wrote:
Where else in Franconia Notch State Park can you have a view
of Cannon Cliffs, Cannon Mt., and Kinsman Ridge from one spot?
:D

Is this a trick question? Ok, Il bite.......Any part of Franconia ridge that is above tree line, Greenleaf hut, the slides on Flume visible from the visitor center? Next question please :P :wink: :lol:

My photographic juices are flowing, as is my curiosity. We need to get up there and check this puppy out!

B.

Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:01 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

MtnMagic wrote:
It was a troll post. To get the others to chime in and talk about a non-existent building, to get the reader excited over nothing. It is a common tactic on a message board. Some get their jollies over it. I have explored that area completely over the past 23 years. I did find the original road through the notch that i found interesting!

Looks like you have been walking by this cabin for 23 years. :D

Here is a link that proves that the cabin exists and is just off the Fallen Waters Trail.
http://unhinfo.unh.edu/nhoc/outcroppingsFeb07.pdf

Page 10(third paragraph from the bottom) and Page 13 will give you a good idea where the Franky cabin is located.

The cabin is just off the Fallen Waters Trail and problay is the cabin HVACMD found.
I also came across this cabin in the past. :D

Hope this helps

Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:54 am
Master Mountaineer

I was hoping to not let the cat out of the bag. Yes, I know it exists. At the special spot one turns right, walks 200', turns right on the narrow trail down the hill and keep going until you reach.

My public apology is sorry about that.

Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:06 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

MtnMagic wrote:
I was hoping to not let the cat out of the bag. Yes, I know it exists. At the special spot one turns right, walks 200', turns right on the narrow trail down the hill and keep going until you reach.

My public apology is sorry about that.

Surrrrrrrrrrr you knew :lol: :lol: :lol:

No worries MtnMagic..........
I wont tell anyone you didn’t know about the cabin
:wink: :lol:

Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:56 am
Master Mountaineer

Although I've never been to "Franky", as poven above I know how to get there. Just haven't completed the walk to the end of that trail yet. So it simply had to be there. And remain vague how to get there.

Scenic, have you spent some overnights there?

Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:06 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

My 10 year old daughter is the one that actually found the trail to the cabin. She was leading and found it easily, because as I said, where Falling Water Trail veers left, she went almost straight, maybe slightly right on a narrower trail. I realized the mistake immediately, but decided to follow it for a few hundred yards instead.

It was just natural for her to follow what she thought was the correct trail because it was almost straight on and the way the Falling Waters trail veered left. From there the trail is a straight path to the cabin. There are no other turns on that trail.

Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:40 am
Master Mountaineer

Excellent find! What I always found that fascinated and excited me is that you can hike an area, trail, or a mountain 100 times and there's always something new to discover. You can do this anywhere. It just seems nicer in the Whites.

What really confused me was the words in your original post that said one half to one hour from leaving the summit of Little Haystack. Your young daughter and you must be 3 times the athlete I am to arrive there so quickly.

Our group is packed and raring to hike the Franconia Ridge loop. There's room for several more if one is interested. See the trip suggestions for more info. We are passing the secret spot too. At my place at 1500' we received a mere 6" of snow. What storm?
:)

Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:55 pm

MtnMagic wrote:
What really confused me was the words in your original post that said one half to one hour from leaving the summit of Little Haystack. Your young daughter and you must be 3 times the athlete I am to arrive there so quickly.

Ummmmm, actually, what he said was:

HVACMD wrote:
Today my wife, 2 kids and I went up Little Haystack. On the way up, maybe 1/2 hour to 1 hour into the hike, the trail broke to the left after a water crossing or two. Well I missed the trail and headed straight, slightly downhill onto a lesser used trail for about 50 yards.

Cheers :wink: :lol:

B.

Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:43 pm
Master Mountaineer

I'll be there in a few hours, climbing to the ridge, enjoying the wondrous views with friends. Beautiful sunrise today, few clouds, sunny with light winds. Cheers is right!

Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:14 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

MtnMagic wrote:
Scenic, have you spent some overnights there?

No
It is a private cabin owned by the New Hampshire Outing Club. It can only be rented by club members and friends.
So if you dont know anyone in the club you cant get in.

Interesting how that works.........State park, private cabin in the middle of state park..

Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:44 pm

ScenicNH wrote:
Interesting how that works.........State park, private cabin in the middle of state park..

one could say the same about Nationally owned forest land and private huts on said Nationally owned forest land :lol: :wink: .

B.

Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:11 pm
Master Mountaineer

diddo

Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3