Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Little Haystack - Falling Waters Trail - What is this? 
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Little Haystack - Falling Waters Trail - What is this?
Today my wife, 2 kids and I went up Little Haystack. On the way up, maybe 1/2 hour to 1 hour into the hike, the trail broke to the left after a water crossing or two. Well I missed the trail and headed straight, slightly downhill onto a lesser used trail for about 50 yards. When I realized my mistake, we came upon a hut of some type which had beds and a number of people inside. I know it's a vague description. But this is not on my maps. And the trail was unmarked by blazes or signs. What was it? A ranger station or something?

Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:21 pm

Welcome HVACDR!

Please don't take this the wrong way, but my first thought was that you were on another trail. Maybe like Hi Cannon and hit Lonesome Lake hut (you'd go down to it).

Then I thought that maybe it was Greenleaf and you had gone over to Lafayette....but I figured you'd know if you walked the ridge.

But I then thought you probably knew what trail you were on...and had maps...so maybe it was some off beat Ranger station or possibly a trail crew camp. I'm not aware of any in that area so I'm hoping you can provide some more info.

How many beds were there? Which trailhead did you start at? Was it a wood or "canvas" structure?

Magic, any ideas?

Bill

Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:15 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Falling Waters Trail/Little Haystack
Since I'm planning on doing this hike with my 17-year-old son this Friday, I would also like to know what that hut might be! My first thought was that maybe the hiker had gone up the Liberty Spring trail? It's only been about 25 years since I hiked any of the mountains so my own memory is getting a tad foggy on the details, but wasn't there some sort of shelter/hut along that trail?

If no one else has clarification on this, I'll be able to report back after this Friday's hike.

Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:36 pm

More detailed info would help out. I'm intrigued by this and thought similar lines to Pucknuts.

Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:00 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Oops...sorry...a little more info. We left Lafayette Place and started out on the Bridle Path/Falling Waters Trail and then took the Falling Waters Trail when they split. I'm not sure, but it seemed like not even an hour, maybe 45 minutes max when we went straight when we should have veered left. It was a well used trail, but narrower (and slightly grown in) than the rest of the Falling Water Trail. My 10 year old was leading, and we knew we made a mistake rather quickly, as we hiked this last year also. I wanted to follow it a bit....again no more than 50 yards.

It was a large wood structure, actively used, and they had a fire going inside....cooking I guess, as it wasn't that cold. We didn't go inside, but there were beds...not sure how many. There was nobody outside, but seemed like a handful maybe inside.

I've done Falling Waters maybe 5 or 6 times, and had never seen this before. It's not like we went far enough to hit a Liberty Spring Trail or anything like that. Again, this trail was completely unmarked.

Last edited by HVACMD on Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:16 pm

That's really odd. any pics? Looks like someone built a cabin in the woods

Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:19 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

My daughter just piped in...they had a swing hanging from the tree. Also, fresh cordwood

I think you'll only see this trail as you're headed up. We didn't see it on the way down. Just the angle it's at, I think you'd miss it

Last edited by HVACMD on Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:21 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

No pics. I'm almost tempted to go back and look for it again. Unless someone solves this first

Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:24 pm

I'm baffled at that one.

Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:24 pm
Master Mountaineer

I've slept on this one. I've lived and explored here for 23 years. I've found a lot of hidden gems in The Whites and wish to find more. I'm headed to Lincoln today and will explore the area again early this evening. About 40 minutes after a water crossing the main trail veers to the left and a side trail goes to the right. I've explored this area many times, even this year about a month ago. It is part of the original carriage gravel road thru the Notch. No structures as of a month ago. Please go back and I will join you! Feel free to send me a private message.

Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:41 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

:? I smell something Fishy folks

Hey Magic... "ta"

Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:08 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Sherpa John wrote:
:? I smell something Fishy folks

Hey Magic... "ta"

OK...now I'm lost. Did I miss something?

Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:12 pm
Master Mountaineer

Just an insider view. :)

I live in the Whites, hike a lot during the week and each weekend. I enjoy history and gems of The Whites. I'd like you folks to show me this place as soon as you can. In return I'll show you a pyramid house about 1/2 hour away in Franconia.

When can you return?

Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:46 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

As soon as I get my daughter's soccer schedules in the next 7-10 days, I'll have a better idea. There's a remote chance I'd go up on Friday AM if I can clear up my schedule. There's also a chance I could go on 8/21 or 8/22 during the AM. If not, it'd probably be after 8/28.

Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:28 pm

I'm very curious about this place

I was starting to think it's a trail croo's camp but I can't find anything on the AMC site about any work being done in the area...plus you did say it was a permanent structure with a fireplace.

Is it possible you continued down the path towards the Flume and it's one of their structures on that site?

Bill

Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next