[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Hike-NH.com - View topic - Adams via Great Gully

Click for Mount Washington, New Hampshire Forecast

Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Adams via Great Gully 
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Adams via Great Gully
After changing plans due to local fireworks and forecast rain we finally made it up to Randolph to camp and hike this past Sunday and Monday.

At 8 We started out on Sylvan Way to hook up with Amphibrach to see Cold Brook Fall. I didn't expect to see Maple Syrup lines strung up through here. I remember thinking that maybe they should have mounted them a little higher. A decent sized moose would/could reek havock. We took the slippery way to the rock bench/seat in front of the fall. Rather than crossing the bridge and going around we (I) decided to cross the stream via the rocks. I slipped. Fortunately my boots proved to be worthy of their price tag. Only my ego suffered.

After the pictures we continued along the trail to the Monaway intersection to cut across to The Link. The White Cliff lookout offered some great unexpected views. Watch out, the edge is a little soft. This route is not very well traveled. The wet ferns and bushes pretty well drenched us from thigh down. There were plenty of tracks in the muddy sections along the Cliffway-The Link-King Ravine Trail (beginning). One of which I'm convinced was mountain lion. That may be due to the recent CT mountain lion frenzy that's been going on.

King Ravine is always fun and there are plenty of places to wonder off and take scenic rests. The Subway section is always a blast to explore.

On to Great Gully... It's been about 4 years since I've hiked this trail. It's seen a lot more use since the last time. A few things remain the same, it's still a great workout and the views are worth the exertion.

The rest up the trip to the summit was rather uneventful. Lots of rocks. It amazed me that the bugs were not an issue on Monday. The ugly large bee looking things @ the summit were/are annoying but they seemed docile and didn't mind being flicked off.

We didn't stay long due to time restraint for our dinner plans later on that night. The Spur trail was picked for the trip down. I wanted to see the view from Knight's Castle and stop @ Chandler Fall. Both of which are great diversions on the way down.

We had to hustle to make it back to the trail head by 4, but we made it with 90 seconds to spare (Randolph/Short Line/Air Line).

It was a great day and I'm sure my company enjoyed it (it was her first hiking trip to NH).

Now all I have to do is come up with trips to trump it.

Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:36 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:17 pm
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:58 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:15 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

rock ledge
The first time I hiked that trail I was a little uneasy with the, "if I slip I'm done," factor. The second time I didn't even notice it. As I mentioned in the original post the trail seems to have gotten a lot more use in the past couple of years. It was definitely easier to follow. If you're squeamish I would not make the attempt on a high wind day.

Pics:

Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]