[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Hike-NH.com - View topic - Bald Knob in the Ossippees

Click for Mount Washington, New Hampshire Forecast

Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Bald Knob in the Ossippees 
Sovereign Woodsman

Bald Knob in the Ossippees
Well, another hot weekend for hiking-so we decided to do a shorty one on Sunday, since both of us had separate plans on Saturday.

Recently I picked up the trail map for the Castle in the Clouds hikes, which was a bit pricy for what you get (a small booklet about 8 pages, but it comes with a nice map of the peaks/trails you can climb.)

So it was a toss up between Joe's Mt. Roberts, which I remember him saying was spectacular in a previous trip report, or do Bald Knob Mtn, which was a bit shorter and would be less exposed to the sun. To get to the trail head, you drive to Moultonboro and take a right on 109. Come to a fork, take a left on 171. Pass the Castle in the Clouds turn (which is on your left). About a quarter of a mile on your right (after you pass Severence Road) there is a hiking sign for parking. Turn right into an old logging yard which is the parking lot. There is a kiosk there with the exact map I had that offers directions to where you are headed. You cross the street and go around/over the orange gate and pass through a logged out area that eventually turns into a snowmobile or carriage type road? It starts out flat for a while and then gradually heads uphill. After .07 miles you see a sign for "Bald Knob Cutoff Trail" Take a right and the trail goes straight up through a softwood forest! It switchbacks a ways and you find yourself in hardwood forest before breaking out to an outlook on a ledge that overlooks Winnipesaukee! After a bit of a break you continue onward and upward gradually and the trail begins to descend. It then comes to a really neat granite/volcano phenomenon worth checking out on the left a few yards off the trail. There is a little write up about it on a tree that explains exactly what this volcanic rock is and how it is also seen out west. It is really neat, it looks like someone came along and carved the granite in rounded pieces and some that are straight broken off thin columns. It does not look natural which makes it truly unique. After checking that out, we continued down the trail and at 1.1 the trail finally comes to a carriage road. You take a right onto Bald Knob Trail and an easy .4 miles of gradual uphill you are at the summit of this ledgy knob! In front of you is a 3/4 view of the Lake and Belknap Mtns, you can see the Castle in the Clouds, Black Snout? mtn, TurtleBack, Mtn, and Mt. Roberts behind you. The views were spectacular and it was a nice clear (somewhat hazy from the heat but overall good views) day. I couldn' t believe that there was nobody at the summit?? We only ran into 5 people hiking the whole time and nobody ever showed up at the summit while we were there. There was a nice breeze, but it was a very hot day for a hike. We had a snack and headed out after hanging around for 15 minutes. We jogged down and got down to the truck lickety split. If you are ever out there, stop at the local convenience store near the split of 109/171, and get a soft serve. It was the creamiest soft serve and best tasting I have EVER had and it helped rejuvenate for the drive home!!! It was a bit busy there with all of the summer traffic, but it was worth the wait, because it was out of this world (if you like ice-cream like I like ice -cream!).

Total for the hike is 4.2 round trip. Before he headed home we headed further down 171 to get a glimse of this Bald Knob from the road and you come upon this beautiful farm that has behind it a beautiful view of the mountain! It is quite prominently round dome like with a big drop off on the ledge it was quite a spectacular site to see for such a tiny little peak.

Just another gem in NH to climb if you are looking for a quick hike in the Lakes Region. I must say although I am bummed about not being able to get up the big peaks thus far this year, I have certainly come to appreciate the Lakes Region since i had no idea about all these hikes on the Belknaps and Ossipees, until I started posting here on Hike-NH and people showing me links to other valuable websites that have opened my eyes up to these hidden gems. I haven't gone wrong yet this summer with spectacular views from these easy to climb peaks!!

Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:08 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:13 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:11 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

4k: 48/48
Winter 4k: 1/48
Belknaps: 12/12

Enjoy,
Scott

Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:00 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

FOT48: North Tri '09, Passa '10, Willey '11

Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:10 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:30 am
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Nice report. I did a somewhat-short hike on Sunday in the Lakes Region, and yes it was hot! Maybe I'll write a TR tonight.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]