Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 2/13 Wildcats 
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

2/13 Wildcats
This hike would complete the Wildcat - Carter range for Jeff. He had a short "vacation" and took advantage of the better hiking conditions (no rain), and hiked Moriah on 2/10 & the Carters on 2/11. We spotted a car at the Wildcat ski area, and headed back to the 19 Mile Brook trail to start the hike.

This trail has very thin cover, and what is there consists of a hard packed surface. Jeff wore his Stabilicers & I was in a pair of screw boots. When we reached the junction of the Carter Dome trail, for a brief few seconds, we witnessed a Mink scurrying through the forest. He was hustling away from us, and stopped momentarily to look back over his shoulder to see
what we were - neat. There is hardly a noticeable new dusting layer from the big storm on the upper reaches of 19 Mile Brook, but the 3 inches that were received up on the ridge had been pushed around & sculpted into small, soft drifts. We put our crampons on for the ascent of Wildcat A, but our other traction was adequate enough for the remainder of the trip.

Once up on the A summit, the other reason for this hike began with ernest. Equipped with implements of destruction............ aka folding pruning saws, we put on our shells & headed South along the ridge. Despite the clearing that a group of us had done back in November, on the hike which completed the NH 4's for Drew, this trail was still suffering from too many lean-overs & branches in the path. Apex Al & company had reported this from their hike on the 7th, and Tim & I also experienced first hand combat with snow laden evergreen branches just before the weekend. When Jeff stated that he would like to finish the Wildcat - Carter range this week, I said LET'S DO IT.

Basically anything that we (now remember, Jeff & I are not all that tall.....) would have to crawl under or push / wedge through we cut out of the way. Our shells got soaked in the process, but we stayed completely warm, as the trail isn't that long and we had a lot of cutting to do. There were plenty of views to the East as we traveled along, and the Presi's remained in the snow clouds, which had us talking about maybe, just maybe measureable snow was being received up there.

We arrived at the top of the ski area just as the Quad lift was shut down for the night, and just a short distance down the trail, ski patrol came through on their afternoon sweep, and we had the slopes to ourselves 8)

Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:02 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

more nice trail work..
how bout moriah wed.15th.

Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]