Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Jefferson 2.5.6 almost! 
Master Mountaineer

Jefferson 2.5.6 almost!
Bob & wife Geri, Abster, Christine, PoisonIvy, SleepingBear, Ghostdog and myself met before 8 am at the Cog parking lot in Bretton Woods. We planned on bagging Mt Jefferson. It rained heavy this morning and after 45 minutes of viewing the rain, under the eaves of the restaurant roof, we decided to go to the Highland Center, eat, and discuss the day's hike. After a 2 hour delay, with food and dialog, SleepingBear and I agreed we were here to hike. The others chose to go home.

Lindsay had to gear up so it wasn't until 10:30 that we started. After about a mile she said she wanted to hike to Mt Washington instead! I laughed, and said we started too late, snow was forecast later, and the Ammo trail (or Tucks via Lions Head) is a better way to summit. No rain at all until the big switchbacks just below Gulfside. The going was interesting above tree line, and slow with plenty of ice, lots of rocks to prevent us from using real crampons, lots of deep drifts, but too many rocks for snowshoes. We turned back at the last switchback, mostly because it was getting too late, also we heard the sound of thunder. I really did not want to descend on the rocks in the dark or be exposed in case of lighting!

After much conversation, her demonstration using her avalanche card, which I have never seen before, was most informative. After returning to the Cog, Lindsay wanted to practice self-arrest on the Cog ski trail. We ascended it in the twilight where she practiced plenty. It was most enjoyable to be with an intelligent woman, full of youth, energy, and conversation. Even though we didn't make the summit, it was still an adventure!

Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:38 pm

Still sounds like a nice day Magic.

and don't worry, you'll get another chance soon.....Wildpeaks needs Jefferson for his Winter 48, and I'd like to bag this one again as well (it's been a couple of years since I've done this one).

Be ready....(but I know you always are)!
Bill

Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]