Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Mt Isolation - 2.4.6 
Master Mountaineer

Mt Isolation - 2.4.6
What a great, warm, sunny, clear day! A mere 21 hikers arrived early, geared up, left the Rocky Branch parking lot at 8am and hit the trail to the mountain. Enjoying great fellowship along the way, we reached the height of land at Engine Hill and looked for the foot steps of the previous hikers. Seeing none we continued on losing a bit of elevation before we found the bushwhack route. What puzzled me was that I was used to the 317* whack at the height of land and these footprints were at a much lower elevation at 3080' at 338*. No biggie, we hiked on.

We did another bushwhack between Isolation Trail and Davis Path, much less steep and demanding than the year ago with pucknuts and the crew. With the varied abilities of the group, we hit the summit about 1 pm and celebrated Lendawg's #48 with a bottle of (I believe) Irish Creme that some thoughful person (Cath!) left on the cairn with a ribbon and wishing hime success and a bottle of champagne that one hiker brought.

There were two Bob's, three Christina's on the hike, with well known hikers Meb, littlesister Rachel, HikerBob, MadTownie, ColdMountain, MichaelJ, BigEarl, Abster, Bob & Geri, Bunchberry, Gaiagirl, ChinookTrail, and so many others. We missed SherpaJohn & Sarah, but they were in our thoughts. We arrived back at the parking lot at 5pm. Everyone except me went out for dinner and drinks but I came home to write this report and get ready for tomorrow's hike to Mt Jefferson. A truly wonderful day to play in the mountains with lots of views and tons of fun with many old & some new friends. It doesn't get much better than this!

Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:11 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Magic ~ Why did you folks, at 22 members strong, go down to the much lower elevation of 3080', to start bushwhacking? You could have easily taken turns to break through the existing snowpack on your own more perfect route from the higher elevation of _______. In doing so, you would have also not lost so much elevation where the previous track took you to the Isolation trail, which must have tired the group out on the return trip. :o

Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:44 pm
Master Mountaineer

317* is the route I learned from Kevin R and Steve S, more hardwood, less fir, a bit more level. One big reason we didn't take the route is hikers purposely left their snowshoes in their cars.
:shock:
Steve S & Mike D recommend going across Rocky Branch Trail West straight up between Davis & Isolation. This was not so easy in 4' of snow with even higher drifts that pucknuts and our group discovered a year ago. It took 3 attemps, 2 via the northern bushwhack to reach the summit. Then we snowed East down the side and merged with the Engine Hill whack. Another day of fun!

Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]