Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Tecumseh 2/3 
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Tecumseh 2/3
This would not have been a day I would have choosen to go hiking.
RAIN was the forecast, and at 8am, it was already starting to precipitate. Mt Drew gave me a call from the Highland Center, inquiring if I wanted to join him for the short hike up to Tecumseh's summit, before he headed back home to Vermont. Quickly realizing how many times I have to turn down an offer to hike during May - June - July, I said "Sure".

We arrived at the ski area parking somewhere around 9:45, and against our better judgement, head off toward the trailhead. Shortly after leaving the former treadway & crossing the 2nd brook to the relo section, a descending hiker stops for a quick hello & chat. Then, up the trail just a little bit further, as we drew a "map" in the snow & discussed a bushwhack route elsewhere, another solo hiker came up behind us. So, there you have it................we weren't the only screw-balls out on the trails on this very wet day :oops:

We found the Mount Tecumseh trail in very good condition, with most rocks still covered by snow, and hardly any remaining softwood bend-overs to contend with. We wore our snowshoes the entire way, which made for great traction in the quickly water collecting snow pack.

We got absolutely drenched, part precipitation, part vapor collecting from our own persons under our shell gear :roll: When we reached the summit, we did a summit-circle and a knuckle punch, and directly headed back down.

Chalk this up to a little exercise on an other wise indoor kind of day

Last edited by Cath on Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:10 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

very wet indeed.my son wants to hike killington-pico tomarrow so no rest day for me :roll:

Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:20 pm
Master Mountaineer

I went outside early this morning to experience the weather and decide if I wanted to go a hike. Here, the wind was so fierce the light rain was horizontal in my face. Nah, I thought, I'll be foolish and wait for tomorrow to cross the high water in Rocky Branch to Isolation. I gather it rained heavily there and we're going to have fun, too

Great report and hike. Thank you!

Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]