Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 1/24 Mt Washington 
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

1/24 Mt Washington
This trip was pulled together for 3 reasons; 1. Jonatha had 4 left before today, B. Apex Al "needed" Washington for his 48 in one Winter quest and III. Washington is on the short list of favorite peaks for Kevin & Brutie.

10 of us (9 H.C.'s and Mr B) treked to the highest summit in NH on this fine day. The Observatory staff reported that the temps would be in the 20's & the winds would relax to the 15 - 25 mph range, and they didn't disappoint us. The higher summits were shrouded in fog up until we reached treeline, and then it started to fade away. Right on time, we all agreed.

The trail below treeline had a good amount of post holing & running water during the warm spells to create a decent rut. Not wide enough for snowshoes & not the easiest to walk in. Above treeline, the surface is mostly firm, with a little bit of new, dry snow from yesterdays storm, that could easily be walked through. The air temp warmed nicely, and the winds did indeed relax, even more than forecasted. We could even feel the warmth of the sun.

After reaching the summit, I took a quick trip into the state park facility to have Summit Ranger Diane Holmes come out and see one of her favorite dogs. She was pleased to see Brutie again, because she knew he had moved away from New England and didn't know if she would ever get to see him again. As always, Brutie greeted her with his Newfie charm :)
We basically had the summit to ourselves on this afternoon, which added to the special joys of hiking in Winter. The undercast held its grip on the terrain to the East, and some to the South, but was basically clear to the West. As we left the summit, back down the Trinity Connector, the Ob's Cam Network snapped a photo of us 8) As we approached the Westside junction with the Gulfside Trail, the fog moved back in, temporarily. As we made our way back to the Jewell Trail junction, the fog lifted, and we once again could feel the warmth of the sun. A lone hiker came along from the north, and met us at this junction at 2:50pm. He relayed that he was doing a north - south Presi traverse, and he had started out at 7am. He was the only hiker we would see all day.

Another fine day of hiking, which made the better part of this group agree to meet again tomorrow. :D

Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:33 pm
Master Mountaineer

After I summited Mt Prospect (Lancaster) Tuesday, saw the incredible views, the shades of grey all around, I could only wish to have ascented the Presis instead. I was here now and remained to soak up the views and sun for more than an hour. What a beautiful day it was to play in the mountains!

Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:30 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

don't eat the yellow snow :lol:

Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:57 pm

There's a great shot from the observatory web cam of you and Brutie and the rest of the Croo descending from the Rockpile.
Check the web cam history if you get a chance.

Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]